Thread: (Vic) Warburton to Starlings Gap, By Mountain Bike

(Vic) Warburton to Starlings Gap, By Mountain Bike

AREA/REGION:Yarra State Forest
    ROADS TRAVELLED:Smythe Creek Rd, Big Pats Rd
    CLOSEST TOWN/S:Warburton, Powelltown
    CO-ORDINATES:N/A
    MAPS USED (brand/area):Yarra Valley West Gippsland Adventure Map By Rooftop's
    ACCESSABILITY (4WD, AWD, 2WD):Mountain Bike
    WEATHER AT TIME OF VISIT:Overcast/part fog on higher ground
    RECOVERY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Ambulance Following....
    PHONE RECEPTION (yes/no/poor):Poor Telstra
    PERMIT REQUIRED (yes/no/cost):No
    PET FRIENDLY (yes/no):Yes
    ATTRACTIONS (views/waterfalls/ruins/walks) All Applicable

NOTEAll images were taken on my iPhone3, not the best quality but I wasn't lugging the SL/R around

This Map covers the area travelled

This is a trip report of a different kind. A trip that doesn't involve camping or reaching for the low range lever of a 4WD before climbing that steep rutted hill or diving into that impassable bog hole. It involves one bloke (me) and my 99' model Specialized FSR Enduro dual suspension mountain bike. I have had this bike for 14 years and it has been very reliable and always manages to survive what punishment I can throw its way!

I kicked of the trip in the small timbertown of Warburton situated in a valley on the banks of the Yarra River. I left the population of 2500 people behind as I rode along Riverside Dve with the Yarra River on my left towards the hamlet of Big Pats Creek. I after approx 3km I took a left into Big Pats Creek Rd.

The legs were well and truly warmed up and the heart rate was slightly elevated as I passed the welcome sign into Big Pats Creek. The area has some large properties surround by state forests. The cattle were grazing away as I rode past knowing that the sealed road was about to end.

After crossing a small timber bridge I was greeted by a fork in the road. I know this area very well and have travelled many times with the most recent only last week although that was in the comfort of the GU. I took the road to the right pointing me towards Starlings Gap. The distance of 12km is all up hill from here with little repreave from the climb I knew this is where the fun would begin!

The Yarra State forest is home to towering Mountain Ash and small creeks running down valleys towards the Yarra River.

The road was boggy in sections as I pedalled up into the mountains there wasn't another soul around. The birds were giving calls across the forest to let each know I was there.

Tall ferns line many of the roads in the Yarra State Forest. At around the 5km point the road grade steepens to around 7%, the legs were beginning to burn a little but with a constant rythem of the pedals I was making good progress.

I really enjoy getting out in the bush by myself. The entire area takes on a different feel when I have a chance to take my time and soak up the surroundings.

This is a short clip I filmed with my phone while riding along with one hand. I would have been approx 500m from Starlings Gap when filming this. The final section rolling into the picnic/camping area in the clip shows the only vehicle I saw for the entire ride since leaving Big Pats Creek. over an hour before.

This is the sign at my destination. This is approx 750m above sea level. The area is gently sloping and can get a bit busy in warmer months.
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

The worms were biting so it was time for some dried apricots and a muesli bar for lunch. Still there was no body else around it really was enjoyable. The fog began to roll in giving off an eerie feeling as the tree tops began to dissapear. It didnt last long, with 10 minutes the fog moved on.

A short distance from the picnic area there is the remains of a Steam Winch. The trackis on the right hand side past the eco toilets that are there for public use.

Eco Toilets

There is still cable of this one. I remember coming up here as kids.

This clip shows the remains of the old relics better than still shots.

Powelltown is also a small timbertown with a sawmill still operating in the centre of town to this day.

11.5km from Starlings Gap is the Ada Tree carpark. The Ada Tree stands 76m high and has a measured girth of 15.5m at chest height. There is a 3.5km loop walk into the Ada Tree which thankfully has survived years of logging in the area.

I took this pic so if anyone else is interested in coming to area they can use this as a reference point.

It was time to head back to Warburton the way I came up. This was the fun part hitting speeds close to 60kph at times I needed to be on the ball. I was constantly on the lookout for oncoming vehicles and motobikes as I rounded bends heading back through the fern lined road.

Many years ago I passed through this area on foot. Myself and 2 other blokes hiked along a walk that's call A Walk Into History. That was around 22km long and follows and of "Tramway" that was used for logging back in the old days. That was a memorable trip. So now I have walked/ridden and driven this area and everytime I enjoy it!

I have another clip loading to You Tube and when that is listed I'll post up the link.

Cheers
    Rich
    Last edited by Touring Rich; 22-07-12 at 09:20 PM. Reason: video link fixed.
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Seriously Hooked
    Rich I'm getting puffed just reading the report on your trip. I don't know how you can pedal so far.

The photos are brilliant, even if they're only from your phone.
    Last edited by Touring Rich; 22-07-12 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Rich I'm getting puffed just reading the report on your trip. I don't know how you can pedal so far.

The photos are brilliant, even if they're only from your phone.
    It was a good ride Gary that I'll do again. Next time I'll head all the way to the Ada tree. All up this ride was approx 34-35km.
    With over half up hill it was a good. Riding on the wet windy days makes these type of rides more enjoyable.

Cheers
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Great report Rich.Virtually on our doorstep but i've never visited.
    Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Great report Rich.Virtually on our doorstep but i've never visited.
    Thanks for the pics.
    Cheers Ian, I have a few more spots up there that I have hiked to that I'll be riding too next time. If your interested in joining in on the action just let me know!

Here is a clip from the top of Starlings Gap. In this clip you can see the slope of the area. At the far end is the walking into history walking track When we did this we would have climbed over and under no less that 200 trees. At time they were like bridges mother nature had placed across the track.

Cheers
    Rich
    Last edited by Touring Rich; 22-07-12 at 09:59 PM.
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

I'll have to get a fair bit fitter first Rich,i'm getting on the bike 2-3 times a week at the moment as work permits.

Seriously Hooked
    Cold, wet, muddy, foggy, and riding with one hand whilst videoing?

You've done well. Top report.

Good report Rich, I got a laugh out of the recovery equipment.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Great report and ride Rich, will have to join you one day, maybe with a lighter bike first, mine is only good at the down hill bits
    GG

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2