Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirt Bikes

Seriously Hooked

Dirt Bikes

Dirt bike riding and four wheel driving are often enjoyed by the same people, and take in similar country side, as well as the challenge of trying to tackle some of the harder tracks.

Who enjoys dirt bike riding, and what bikes have, or do you currently own?

I haven't had a lot of dirt bike riding experience, and don't own one at the moment, but have had a Suzuki DR200 and DR350 in my earlier days. I'm more comfortable on three or four wheels, and have had an old Honda Big Red Trike, and Suzuki Quad. My mate has 2 Suzuki Banshees which I've had a loan of on many trips. What a weapon! Awesome power!

my current bike, 03 yamaha yzf250. its a bit angry with some engine work, crap load of fun trying to keep the front wheel down. just after i put a new 13L tank on.

Seriously Hooked
    For a 9 year old dirt bike, it's in fantastic condition Tom..........................................so is that old Dodge behind it!

Do you take your bike away with you when camping, or mainly do day rides? The ute would make it easy to take it away with you.

The extra range with the larger tank must be good? Did you notice much of a change in handling with the extra weight?

thanks gary, its been well looked after, i dont ride it often, i work too much. last time i was riding it, i had some fuel issues and then the tank cracked last time i was out at widgee, motorcycle country in gympie could get me the aftermarket big tank for cheaper than the standard size tank so i went with it, since then it hasnt run, needs to go into the shop. so i cant tell you if there is a weight difference.
    usually just take it out to properties when hunting etc. nothing serious, just take it out and let everyone have a go.

Well I guess I better share my dirt bike..........: its an 02 XR400 which I picked up 2nd hand on 2/1/08. For an XR it had really low k's as alot of them seem to be used on the roads as a daily commute so the k's are generally high compared to mine, well at the time.

The reason I chose the XR was I had a budget I wanted to stick to and I wanted a bike with low matenance,no raditors,no computers and good economy for the long high country rides we like to do. It has a 9lt tank as std and I can get 130k's give or take. This opens up alot of scope to ride from one town to the next or do a big loop from camp or the cars.

Yes it's not as nimble on the tighter tracks as a modern bike but I like the high country stuff as well as all the oppurtunities of the local rides too. The power of the 4 stroke is very useable with plenty of low down grunt for the big hill climbs.

My previous bike was a Kawasaki KDX200 2 stroke which I had for 13 or so years and covered countless km's because the odometer didn't work

Ok enough rambling here is some pics. Most are iPhone pics because we dont carry a camera.
    Out the back of Jamieson

Mitchells Creek, High Country, it was very icey too

Jamieson Pub 16 riders having lunch on a ride I organised

Near the Slate Mine Vic, me on the left

Anglesea ride, 1st time riding on sand

And how I camp with the bike Big River Vic

Oh the very worn out KDX it was a very reliable bike, after seizing the motor though I rebuilt it with a 240 kit.
    Last edited by Tour'n; 07-07-12 at 09:21 PM.
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

Seriously Hooked
    How did you find the sand riding Adam? It can be a bit of a challenge.

I was travelling along a sandy track on my bike years ago, and came across a 4by coming the other way. He hardly slowed down, and didn't try and get off the track. I headed for the bush, and the bullbar on the 4by just clipped my back guard. Bit too close for comfort.

Just need to keep the power on in the soft stuff and not fight the bike and its more enjoyable. I actually had a ball riding down there and riding with ocean views was new too.

I know what you mean with watching on coming vehicles I've had a few very close calls. I lead most of the rides so I'm the one who sees the oncoming vehicle 1st whether it be another bike or a 4be. The advantage of doing both riding and 4wdriving is you dont take blind corners without caution or even cresting a hill.

Riding in sand is very similar to snow.
    Mt Stirling Telephone Box Jucntion

Corn Hill track between Mt Buller and Mt Stirling

Howqua Gap Hut

The advantage of having a 4wd is driving into the snow to save fuel in the bike and the fun starts straight away.
    Circuit road Mt Stirling

Our destination.
    Last edited by Tour'n; 08-07-12 at 05:32 PM.
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

Seriously Hooked
    Is it a soft landing when you come off in the snow? I guess it's what's under the snow that is the problem.

Is it beer o'clock yet? outback jack's Avatar
    adam, do dirt bikes have to be registered or do they need some kind of permit ?

I've never seen one with a number plate, and does the rider need a motor bike licence/permit

EVERYWHERE I GO I BRING HAPPINESS, SOMETIMES ITS WHEN I ARRIVE, BUT ITS USUALLY WHEN I LEAVE

I've just taken up bike riding. I found I was really limited on choice because of my lack of leg length. All the new bikes are very tall, not really suited to a novice rider.

I ended up getting a 2009 Yamaha TTR230A, which I bought with only 200ks on it. The advantage of this model is it low seat height (890mm) yet it still runs full size wheels and is fully road registered. It's not very powerful or fast but will get me around for now.

I have swapped the front forks from a WR250, next mod is to change the rear wheel/brake to disc, then as my riding skills improve I'll do a big bore/cam kit on it.
    Last edited by Leprechaun; 08-07-12 at 12:04 PM.
    GU Patrol Wagon.