Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Capture Sunset and Sunrise Photos

Question How to Capture Sunset and Sunrise Photos

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me a bit of guidance, or a few tips on how to improve my sunset and sunrise photos.

I fluke a good one every now and then, but I'd like to improve my averages.

I usually end up with a very dark image, which is understandable with the camera trying to compensate for the bright sun.

Or I end up losing a lot of the colour. This shot isn't too bad, but it's still not as good as I'd like.

I know a few of you have done photography courses, and hope you have a few tips to pass on.

I typically try to avoid shooting directly into the sun just because it is so hard to get the exposure right, but if I'm deliberately trying to get that sort of shot I will usually bracket my exposures and blend them in to a single shot during post processing, it's really the only way that I know of to do it, digital cameras only have a limited dynamic range, so to increase this you need to take multiple exposures.

It's not easy, and takes some practice.
    You can use 'bracketing' or like HDR setting om latest iPhones. Takes a series of shots under and over exposure then later can blend them together using a photoshop program.
    Best way to try is to select Manual setting either shutter or exposure and play around with the setting (using tripod of course).
    Another site that's a interesting in is Ken Rockwel a US photographic site. He reviews cameras etc also tips tricks.
    Hope that sort of helps and makes sense. Head scrambled from work today!
    Cheers
    Smokey

Never underestimate the Mighty 2.8!!!

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Two ways I do it Gary. Most common way I do it is to put camera into P mode then use exposure compensation of around 1.5 to 3 stops. I will usually take a couple of the same pic with a couple of different settings and then judge the best shot later on using the larger screen. The other way is that I hold the camera with one hand and block the sun from hitting the lens with the other. Press the button half way down to focus and lock in settings then stop blocking the sun and take the pic.

Dave

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of using Dave, blocking the sun first for the settings and then taking the shot with the sun exposed. Can't wait to give that one a go.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    The other thing I use nearly all the time for most outdoor pics is a polarising filter. Works like a pair of polarised sunglasses and removes glare. Makes photographing water much easier and you can often see into the water also. Polarising filters are generally adjustable so you can dial them around until you get the effect you are after.

You wouldn't use this alone to take those types of pics but in conjunction with things I said earlier it helps...

Dave

Work is a waste of camping time. Symon's Avatar
    I also would avoid shooting directly into the sun like that. When doing sunrise/sunset shots I tend to take them before the sun gets up or just after it goes down. If you want to shoot into the sun a filter would be a good way to go - 3 stops at least. If your camera has an inbuilt ND filter you could probably use that as well.

When shooting any landscape you have trouble with getting the exposure right, as you have a bright sky and a dark foreground. To get around this you take two shots - one with the sky properly exposed, and the second with the landscape properly exposed, then combine them in photoshop. If you are like me and hopeless with post editing then use a gradual ND filter - this will darken down the sky so you can get everything properly exposed.

Another trick that works really well with sunrise/sunset is to adjust your white balance to 'cloudy', this will bring out the warm tones and make the image much more profound.

If you have a camera that has custom effects (like my 60D) I've found the 'vivid' and 'intense' modes work pretty well too.

Last edited by Symon; 19-06-12 at 09:57 PM.
    Toyota Landcruiser HDJ79R - Soft Top Camper with a zillion home grown mods

www.phased.com.au - electricians online community

Sunset at 1770 QLD. Taken just with Canon IXUS1000HS Povo pack.
    2011 Triton GLXR with ARB canopy & Light Force Spotties. 2011 Jayco Expanda Outback 17.56.2

That pic is a pearler Deano. Was the colour of the sky like that to the human eye, or is it just the way the camera captured it?

Hey Gaz, no the sky looked like that. Thanks for the compliment mate.
    Looking at updating to a compact camera with less lag and better battery life. Not happy with this Canon model.
    Not sure what to look for.
    Cheers Deano
    2011 Triton GLXR with ARB canopy & Light Force Spotties. 2011 Jayco Expanda Outback 17.56.2