Thread: Barmah National Park - Draft Joint Management Plan

Barmah National Park - Draft Joint Management Plan

Barmah National Park is one of my favourite and most visited national parks. I would visit barmah at least half a dozen times per year.

There is now a draft management plan under review. Full details are at - https://yytolmb.com.au/draft-plan-an...national-park/

A few key points from my perspective:

- Curerntly camping is free. There will be introduction of booking and fees. Sites will have toilents (currently no toilets)
    - Dispersed camping is still going to be permitted, however some areas will be "rested" or "closed"
    - Waste disposal, appears to be for RVs.
    - More boat ramps
    - Brumbies will be removed from the park
    - Tracks will be re-aligned, closed, consonsolidated
    - Greater awareness of the Yorta Yorta people, tradional land owners

It is hard to get a an accurate feel for these changes. Hearing everything from the park will be locked up to significant change, etc. I try to positive and support change. Its an amazing place and so I hope that we can all essentially contine to enjoy it the way that we currently do - camping, fishing, swimming, walking, canoe/kayaking, boating, etc

The devil appers to in the detail. If you find any key points from the draft plan, please post up.

Also please post up your thoughts as I am interested to hear these.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Harps i love the area also but as it is now. I for one do not like these proposed changes.

1. Camping is currently free. There "WILL" be introduction of booking and fees, hence to pay for the toilets.
    2. Dispersed camping is still going to be permitted, however "SOME" areas will be "RESTED" or "CLOSED". CRAP access will be gated. Dispersed camping WILL be at the LAKES area or at the GULF with no more access.
    3. Waste disposal, appears for RVs. Dump point. Probably a good thing. I could only see that happening at the "LAKES" site.
    4. More boat ramps. Fair enough it is a fishing/river area. Designated road for use. Goodbye campsites.
    5. Brumbies. Well the BRUMBIES. I think they have been there since world war one. Correct me if i am wrong as a holding place for the AUSSIE troops. To me that is heritage and i can't seeing them doing damage to the area. Just my opinion. Bit of an icon. But the parks mob have been working on getting rid of them for a while. I think they should be more intent on the FERAL animals PIGS etc.
    6. Tracks will be RE-ALIGNED,CLOSED,CONSOLIDATED. Come on that statement speaks for itself. Shut the GATES.
    7. The YORTA YORTA people. Well, i belive that if they did not agree to these proposals. That the COMMONWEALTH goverment would not assist them with any future finance.

Maybe getting off subject,as an example.

The "GRAMPIANS" still love the area. But not the place i camped at 30 years ago then it was a state park. Changed to a NATIONAL PARK just not the same. Everything got closed up.

Goes without saying. Other areas and states that i have been to over the years. It comes as a shock to see the changes.

Hopefully it does not happen to BARMAH

Where did you read or hear about dispersed camping only at the lakes or gulf? I would have thought that would be were the paid camping grounds would be...

Bush camping is one of the best things about Barmah.

Anyone heard any updates?