Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking around the idea of a camper trailer

Kicking around the idea of a camper trailer

Hey all,

Yup, would you belive it, I am considering the idea of a camper trailer.

For those with a camper trailer, does this greatly reduce your pre-trip time? I.e. do you leave the camper mostly packed and therefore ready to go?

Is there enough storage room to keep most of your "crap" in the trailer instead of the 4wd?

The setup time is what puts me most off a camper. Oh, and the price.

Thanks in advance.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Forum Enthusiast
    Well I haven't got a camper yet, but have researched the hell out of it for the past 3 years.
    Alot of camper owners I have talked to always say they leave their non perishable gear in the camper (kitchen gear etc), than just pack food and clothes and any other things they may need depending on length/location/type of camping trip. Majority of camper trailers its easy to get to the fridge and pantry slide on them, don't have to set up tent, so no probs packing there. If you have to pack stuff inside the canvas/tent part that can be a pain, you would have to set up entire camper. I have seen some that have doors that open to internal storage.
    Most campers always have (I believe) plenty of storage, toolbox at front than acouple of draws or other storage areas.
    As for setup times, that depends on style and build.
    Soft floor would be longest to erect
    Hard floor is quicker and easy
    Forward fold also quick and easy
    putting on awning for any takes time
    I believe the aussie built ones are alot more simple and easy to setup than the chinese (not many oz made)
    The camper I'm hoping/dreaming of getting, my son (10yr old) setup at the last camping show we went to, in less than 5min by himself.
    Because I want aussie made I know i'm paying alot more $$$, so I keep an eye out for second hand camper as well keep saving

Ha,ha.

I had a feeling that this maybe on the cards. Pending on what you are after, second hand/new. This can be a harrowing experience.

There are a lot of second hand ones avaliable and some bargins to pick up. Positives, little use did not suit the buyers lifestyle. Mods and accesories have been added at their expense.

New. Best go to a caravan/camping show/4x4 and wear a good pair of runners for you feet. Yes they do drop the prices for these events. Gives you a broader outlook and able to compare features between makes. Negatives, new price purchase pending your budget. Plus there is always something you want add. In saying that they all seem to have the mod cons these days. Consider the weight also.

Style i would go hard floor. Over the years, our first purchase was a JAYCO SWIFT windup. We loved it and it severd us well a family of four. Next well i built my own modeled on a TRACK SHACK. Had the canvas made to suit with awning and walls, it was a soft floor. Another that served us well but a pain to put up, good if only using the tent section as in pull out and peg down. I prefered to use it for long camps two days or more.

I know you will do your research and happy shopping

There is so many choices Harps, Forward fold, rear fold, hard floor soft floor.

I still have mine. It hasn't moved for few years..

Maybe hire a couple first and see if you want to go down that path.
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Thanks guys.

Good feedback Andy. If I do go down this path I would want to be able to keep most of my camping crap packed. It would be great to be able just to hook up and off you go. Challenge is that different trips need different camping stuff.

I'm thinking ahead and would want something I can put a kayak onto, instead of on my roof rack.

Laurie i went to leasurefest last time and wow, the options are mind blowing. So too the price and no doubt quality levels.

It won't meet my requirements, but I like the idea of hybrids.

Still early days and lots to consider. Storage being one factor and of course money.

Rich, that is a good idea. Its a big investment.

I'm in no rush, but watch this space.

I run a camper for some trips and swag/awning for others. The camper is an old Aussie Swag hardfloor, brilliant to tow and sets up easy and quick-about 10 minutes if not using awning(just stays over roof) or up to 1/2 hour if both awnings used and tables set up with stoves etc-mine doesn't have a pull out kitchen (yet-I will build one eventually). Food boxes and fridge are in back of wagon, boxes get moved to under kitchen table, fridge stays put-although sometimes I use a second fridge -wife is vegan and we like to keep my beer and meat separate from her vegan lettuce leaf type stuff(can't be good for my beer!!)
    All cooking, washing, showering, toilet stuff etc lives in camper, need to add bedding(sometimes sheets, sometimes sleeping bags) and pillows, chairs go in back of camper as well. Clothes go in bags on back seat and food in boxes next to fridge.
    Both styles of camping pretty much need similar prep, camper being a bit quicker and easier to set up pack up than awning/stretcher/swag-camper is more touring style with coffee table, etc and generally more relaxing-usually the style of trip too- rolling camps I don't want to tow because of the tracks I will do.

Probably use the camper for a couple of week or so long trips a year and 3-4 weekenders-would like to use it more but drying the canvas in winter is a problem with storage space etc...
    Last edited by Traveller; 21-08-19 at 07:10 PM.

All I'll say is get something with an easy tent, nothing annoyed me more with mine than the setup and pack down time, but even with an easy tent, I still reckon setup and pack up is still a pain, hence the reason I bought an old van instead.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Someones getting SOFT!!!!!!!!
    I'm not young enough to know everything and to damn old to care![
    VW V6 Amarok & Perce the Parkes 13SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Look at the hybrid campers, i'm prolly going the Lifestyle Iconn or the Starvision Galaxy
    Cheers
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by ralphedward View Post
    Someones getting SOFT!!!!!!!!
    I'm going camping next week with a mate and I kid you not, we are bringing that much crap that we have to see if we can jam in all in the jeep today. The Kayak and all the accessories takes up a lot of space... the stupid Crashpads are massive, bought some really comfy chairs that are huge.... Not sure what is wrong with me... but yes... very soft in deed.