Thread: 2019-Aug Midweek North & Mid NSW Explore Trip

2019-Aug Midweek North & Mid NSW Explore Trip

Link to all Photos: 2019b-Aug Midweek NSW Explore Trip
    Link to Tracklog:2019b-Aug Midweek NSW Explore TripLOG
    Total Distance covered over the period: 1348kms / Driving Time: 20h03m

Day-1 (307kms / Driving Time [DT]: 3h38m)
    Left work at 10pm and started my long journey towards my Camp for the night – Wellington Rock. Google Maps indicated close to 4hrs of Driving Time to get there which is something I didn’t really want to do. With little to know traffic I made good time and arrived in Warwick ahead of schedule. From here I took some back roads down to the Border on to Mt Lindsay Rd. Started seeing a fair bit of Wildlife on the side of the road so this kept me more alert. Continued down Mt Lindsay Rd passing the Turnoff to Bald Rock and with the time looking pretty good I pushed on to my destination at Wellington Rock, reaching there at around 1.30am. Parked up side the Hut and went to bed…

Day-2 (356kms / DT: 4h50m)
    Up early to check out my surrounds – did the walkout to check out all the granite rock formations that makeup Wellington Rock. Some fantastic formations and scenery but with the distance I wanted to cover, it was back to the car and on down the road. Drove through Tenterfield and decided while going through that I would check out where Mount Mackenzie was as this is one of the places to go to see snow close to home… Spent some time looking around before making my way back down and down the Hwy to my next stop for Coffee – Glen Innes. After grabbing a coffee & a bite to eat I went for a quick drive around town before pushing on to Armidale and then to my 1st stop I wanted to check out – Metz Gorge and Wollomombi Falls & Gorge. This was to be my camp spot for my 2nd night but with a bit of time still on my side, I decided to push on to Cathedral NP and Barokee Campground. As it turned out it was a great decision as I came across some snow still lying on the side of the road into the Park. Took some photos and then pushed on to the campgrounds. I ended up having the campgrounds to myself, so I made the most of it and cooked up a nice hot dinner, ready for the cold night ahead.

Came across these old Classics on my way down the Hwy

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/gc6zkjN5/2019b_-_Aug_Mid-week_NSW_Explore_Trip_(90).jpg][/img]

Found a bit of Snow still lying on the roadside on my way into Cathedral Rock NP

Day-3 (196kms / DT: 4h20m)
    After a relativity cold night (warm in the Defender though) I rose early with the plan to go do some of the walks in the area. I decided that I would give the Cathedral Rock Loop a go and see how far I could go with the hour I had given myself. I set off and made good time, getting to the turnoff point where the Grade-5 difficult section was to start. Looking around at the scenery and where I was, I thought the time factor out the window and pressed on to tackle the last 500mtrs of Grade-5. I eventually made it to the top but definitely could see how the track could be dangerous if u weren't careful… The views from the top were awe-inspiring, if not a little bit chilly from the wind. Stopped and took in the surroundings for a while before making tracks back down to my campsite. I was thankful that it was all downhill too. Packed up and pushed on to my next planned stop – Misty Point Lookout. I turned off the Hwy and in towards Guy Fawkes NP, travelling along the forestry tracks that would eventually lead me to Misty Point L/O. I arrived at my turnoff point to Misty Point only to find it closed due to fallen trees from the previous weekend windy weather. With nothing I could do, I pushed on towards the old abandon town of Dalmorton where I stopped for a late lunch. While there I checked out a campsite where we had stayed at Christmas time 2yrs earlier to see what it was like. To my surprise, the site was clean and tidy… From here I pushed on to find a suitable camp spot before the long, windy drive up and out of the valley. I ended up finding a nice little spot along the Mann River, not far from the Mann River Reserve Campgrounds where I stopped for the night and cooked up my dinner on the open fire for the last time.

Day-4 (489kms / DT: 7h15m)
    With a fair distance to travel to get home, I got up and was on the road by 6am and headed out. I reached the turnoff onto Gwydir Hwy. Not wanting to go back along the same way I came down, I turned east and headed off through Gibraltar NP. I stopped at a couple of the lookouts to take in the Sunrise before pushing on and down the eastern side of the range. I turned off onto Coombadjha Road which would take me along the edge of the Mann River and eventually lead me to the upper reaches of the Clarence River. Stopped for a late Breaky at Camham Crossing bridge. From here it was out to Clarence Way and north towards home. Reached the Bruxner Hwy then again turned off to continue along Clarence Way. It was here that things went a bit pair-shaped. Went to change gears in the Defender and realised that I had lost my clutch – bugger. Stopped to check the usual fluids, etc and made a couple of phone calls before coming to the conclusion that it was the Clutch itself. Not really knowing the history of the car I had no idea as to whether the Clutch has ever been replaced before (car has 361,000kms on the clock that I know of). From here I was to quickly learn how to change gears without a clutch. I was somewhere between 150>200kms still away from home, so as I drove along I tried planning a route that would not take me through the middle of the city. Crossed the border and came to Rathdowney. It was at this point that I turnoff off and headed towards Boonah and from there north through Peaks
    Crossing and then onto Warwick Hwy and Centenary Hwy. This was the way that would pose the least number of traffic lights and my best chance of getting home… I eventually arrived home safely in one piece but it’s not something that I would like to do again any time soon…

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/g0Xhzd5K/2019b_-_Aug_Mid-week_NSW_Explore_Trip_(331).jpg][/img]

Last edited by robmacca; 17-08-19 at 08:40 PM.
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

Formally lived in Blue Mts NSW now live Brisbane Northside
    Rob, Yet again another great trip review. Looks like a great trip, you traveled some good country.
    I would be interested to know how we can use the trip log found on the Wikilog site.
    My wheels of choice 150 GX Prado towing a Jayco 12.37 Outback Expanda

Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    Rob, Yet again another great trip review. Looks like a great trip, you traveled some good country.
    I would be interested to know how we can use the trip log found on the Wikilog site.
    Mate, U can simply download the tracklog in a gpx format (most common format) and then upload it to your GPS Device (if your device allows it). From here it just simply follows the tracklog on your device's screen
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired