Thread: Mobile reception

Mobile reception

Any thoughts or experiance of such products?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7db-Mobi....c100010.m2109

If this works i'll be getting one for sure
    Cheers
    Leo

Been talked about on a few forums. I had a similar setup a few yrs ago.....zero boost to any signal. I even took the aerial off the bullbar and got it 4 m off the ground when in a suspect reception area....made no difference.

There are a few signal boosters getting around ( Telstra is one ) but at $1000+ , not a cheap way of doing it. Don't forget, if there is no signal at all, no device can help you.

At approx $100, mine made a nice phone holder !!

Reception in outback has improved with mining companies putting boosters in remote areas, condition was that public can access it but for Telstra only, i've found a few areas that are better and no proper tower around, just mining company boosters.
    Cheers
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by CatchinJack View Post
    Reception in outback has improved with mining companies putting boosters in remote areas, condition was that public can access it but for Telstra only, i've found a few areas that are better and no proper tower around, just mining company boosters.
    Yep, if there is reception around, your phone may pick it up, but these cradles ( especially as they are passive ) do NOTHING for added reception.

Forum Enthusiast
    I was looking at something similar just before my last trip but was concerned about the inductive coupler not really working as advertised, in short, didn't want to risk putting in something that didn't work. Cel-Fi's are WAY too expensive for what I would use it for.

Instead on advice from a colleague I went for a Telstra prepaid wifi dongle and fitted a high gain antenna as high as I could on the roof cage. The phone has wifi calling so I had that turned on. With the phone on the windscreen I could monitor the signal strength of the phone and the dongle at the same time to watch the difference if any. I noticed that the dongle had up to three bars more than the phone. Obviously there were moments when there was nothing at all but that was only for short periods. As stated above, if there's no signal at all nothing will help.

Quote Originally Posted by shane_vor View Post
    I was looking at something similar just before my last trip but was concerned about the inductive coupler not really working as advertised, in short, didn't want to risk putting in something that didn't work. Cel-Fi's are WAY too expensive for what I would use it for.

Instead on advice from a colleague I went for a Telstra prepaid wifi dongle and fitted a high gain antenna as high as I could on the roof cage. The phone has wifi calling so I had that turned on. With the phone on the windscreen I could monitor the signal strength of the phone and the dongle at the same time to watch the difference if any. I noticed that the dongle had up to three bars more than the phone. Obviously there were moments when there was nothing at all but that was only for short periods. As stated above, if there's no signal at all nothing will help.
    I will look into that

Forum Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by shane_vor View Post

If you dont mind me asking how much would that cost to set up?

Cheers
    Andrew

And I would assume the dongle was hard wired to the antenna. Similar gains were possible when you had blue tick phones that had a port to connect an antenna directly to them.