Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARB airlocker

ARB airlocker

G,day all.

Been a bit quite on the forum of late so. I maybe going over older posts. I had an ARB airlocker installed in the rear late 2017, loved it only used three times. Fourth attempt, oh oh. The compressor was running continuously hence would not lock. Still able to use the compessor to inflate tyres.

Make the phone call, still under the five year warranty. Take it in to get accessed, yes internal leak. We will have to order in parts may take a week or more. Ok all good but to repair we need the car for at least two days. So be it.

May i say that the manager that i spoke to was very appologetic and good to deal with. He also mentioned that we cannot get away doing 4x4 weekends all the time and that i engage the locker once a week. I presume to work the seals as a preventative? Not actually drive.

While away on my last trip. REDDAVE had the same problem with his front locker.

Again ARB are great to deal with and i love their products. Australian made.

Which brings me to after market products or factory fitted.

Has anyone else had problems with either?

Forum Enthusiast
    G'day 2lost
    I had an ARB rear locker which developed a similar problem, not running continuously but constantly cycling. As you mentioned internl air leak. Was way way out of warranty but ARB fixed it no problems no charge, great service. Appears during install you have to really careful with the pipes.

Anyway had further probs down the track so now running g a TJM locker and has proven to be much more reliable

Regards
    Geoff.
    VDJ76 Front and rear Lockers, NPC clutch ecu remap, lots of other stuff, very happy with it

Hey Laurie, I have had problems with ARB lockers in two of my vehicles. Leaking oil in a hliux and a shabby install job in an 80 series. That said, I still believe the ARB locker is a quality product and it would be my first choice.

As you mentioned, ARB do provide good service. Strange though that they can install in one day but need two days to fix.

I have had arb lockers in 4 of my vehicles.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

They should call em "ARB air leakers"

Yep, have had a few mates have those dramas... Does seem to be more an installation problem, from some of the work I've seen l wouldn't trust ARB to install a sticker, let alone a diff locker. Better to do it yourself or a trusted mechanic.

Another thing, I don't like the design compared to that of TJM pro locker, the pro lockers are built a lot more reliable, less moving parts, no stupid o-rings and a stronger locking ring engagement.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Forum Enthusiast
    Could not agree more burnsy, my view, the tjm locker operation is simple with its operation and much more reliable. Has been well proven to be as strong. ARB are great at marketing but on the other side they do have good products.

Regards
    Geoff.
    VDJ76 Front and rear Lockers, NPC clutch ecu remap, lots of other stuff, very happy with it

Yeah they definitely do have "some" good products but unfortunately they also drop the ball and you end up paying through the nose for the ARB name and totally miss out on the quality.. I guess this also can be said for the majority of the aftermarket accessory world.

Just an update. All fixed. Apparently not an o ring failure. Parts that were replaced. Bonded seal H type and Quad ring, repaired under warranty. I will test it out today at a dissused quarry not far down the road

Good to hear you got it sorted.

I actually have a Chinese copy of the ARB locker in the front diff of my Triton, it's been fantastic! I can't fault it. It cost me $400 and has certainly outlasted my expectations. Probably because ARB didn't install it.

Last edited by srburnsy; 06-07-19 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lost View Post
    Just an update. All fixed. Apparently not an o ring failure. Parts that were replaced. Bonded seal H type and Quad ring, repaired under warranty. I will test it out today at a dissused quarry not far down the road
    Thanks for the invite...
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Harps View Post
    Thanks for the invite...
    Have not been at this stage HARPS. Got distracted with family things. Don't worry mate the area won't be going anywhere. While on the subject a lot of the tracks are gated until September. Those that are open will just be mud and large bogholes. After September i will organise a run. The intention was just to test the locker for about twenty minutes at the quarry