Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turtle on the back

Quote Originally Posted by mattsglxr View Post
    Great stuff Laurie!!! I have the 17-55-9 Journey DX and love it. Curious as to how they've got the door in front of the axels with an island bed? We have single beds in ours so a bit different but full ensuite at rear and door next to it behind the wheels. Not sure if you know but you can upgrade the solar to 160w for under $100 which is a handy upgrade.
    Thanks for the update on the panel mateYes we were only talking to a salesman at the show. Does the 160w suit your purpose and a second battery was on the cards I think we will take a trip out to the dealership and suss out a few more options before the build starts. Another comes to mind, an inverter. Tend to think of these things after the event.
    Last edited by 2Lost; 25-02-19 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsglxr View Post
    Yeah I got a second battery as well. I also got an extended drawbar which is one option you can't add later. It gives me a larger area to store stuff on the drawbar.
    Yes , thought about an extended drawbar but trying to keep the weight down. Every little bit adds up. In saying that when i made my camper trailer, i extended the drawbar. Easy to reverse.

At this stage we have $6.500 to play with this will include additions to the car. New tow bar, reversing camera, electric brake controler, insurance. We will not go over our original budget but welcome anyones comments in regards to upgrade/options if we can fit them in with the budget.
    Last edited by 2Lost; 25-02-19 at 05:45 PM.

Most important question - what trips do you have in mind? You don't buy a house on wheels without a few trips on the horizon.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Turtle on the back

Yes so far the 160w has been fine. I have purchased a 120 kings blanket for the Everest and will set up an Anderson plug as well for it in case we need to chase some sun. If youíre thinking an extra battery get it added into your build that way itís in the tare of your van and not eating into your payload. I havenít got an inverter yet, maybe down the track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacs View Post
    I'm led to believe the extended draw bar improves towing stability is this correct Matt?
    Maybe a little help pacs and helps a little with revering as well. I have the jerry can holder on there and a tray for a bit of wood or dirty gear bag or whatever it is quite handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harps View Post
    Most important question - what trips do you have in mind? You don't buy a house on wheels without a few trips on the horizon.
    Good question Harps,

First up we plan on a few dry runs to sort our selves out and the van, free off the grid camps. Grampians will be number one, we love the area plus the brother inlaw lives in HALLS GAP and may join us in his 23ft van. AVOCA may be another, i wonder where

Major trips. Well we have driven and camped in every state in Aus TASSIE included but there is so much that we have'nt seen. Big country and we will take in as much as we can.

Number one will be WA. We have been to PERTH and south of there. This time we will be driving with the turtle on the back taking a lot of left turns finding different spots along the coasts of SA and WA. Then head up to PERTH catch up with my sister. From there further north again along the coast, taking some right hand turns inland pending road conditions? Following the coast around PORT HEADLAND, BROOME,DARWIN and then back down the center. I would like to check out some places in the NT and see how they have changed over the years. Last visit was in 92. I am sure that some of the roads that we travelled then are now sealed?

From there back home to VIC. Plan some more trips into NSW and Queensland while still exploring VIC in the mean time.Thats the plan at this stage.

We won't be idol mate.

Good day all.

Well we went down to the dealer today and sorted out some optional extras that we wanted to add. This being the second time that we have looked and having time to think about things.

Upgrade the 120w solar panel to 160w(Roof top), max they will do. I have purchased a 140w panel that i can use seprerately from Ebay(Portable van/car)

A second AGM battery(100amp)has been added, alas because of that we have lost some storage space(Drawer) not to worry.

Additional 12v sockets have been added, plus USB.

Shelving has been added instead of hanging in the bedside robes.

An additional 12v light opposite the entrance side. Hence seeing , water connections, etc in the night time.

An anderson plug will be connected to the draw bar for the portable solar panel.

I am still debating about the coupling/hitch. Bottom line for me, it has to be off road(360)

The only other addition at this stage, will be a stone guard.

Apart from that job done.

May i say. We purchased an outback model, simply for clearance. Save scrapping the gutters.

My opinion. Yes it will serve us well. For our needs and travels.

Personally, this van will only do the tar or some gravel roads and nothing more. I don't think i would put it past that.

Great list of options.

I have a tregg on my Jayco fitted from factory. Since then lots more options out there.

We have towed ours all over aus without issue just making sure all the pretrip prep is done to plumbing protection etc.

We have done the Ood trk, Gibb, Karajini, All the west coast, Painted Desert, The dirt way down from Longreach to Broken Hill via Windorah and Jundah and Tibooburra etc. Plus lots of dirt High Country roads and some roads and tracks we probably shouldn't have.

We just returned from 4 days in the HC actually, I reckon our van would've easily covered 80k.
    The extra ground clearance is a must imo also
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

Sounds like you have put plenty of thought into the set up Laurie.
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast