Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menindee lakes and the Darling river

Menindee lakes and the Darling river

I'm sure most of you are aware of the algal bloom in effect on the Darling river at Menindee there has been a lot of coverage of this over the past weeks and months on social media but boy was I surprised when I saw a 7 news report blaming the drought for the lack of water and not the water hungry cotton stations that have sucked the system almost dry not to mention the draining of the Menindee lakes several times over the past few years.

It seems to have turned into an all out war of throwing blame around the different gov departments but what sickens me the most is the cod that are floating dead some over 100 years old

Not to mention the effect on any tourism in the area as the darling run and menindee lakes were high on my list but how many years will it take for the system to recover let alone the fishing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...?sf205638164=1

very sad situation
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Forum Apparel https://4wdadventurers.bigcartel.com/

Follow ujs on Insta and Facebook @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Facebook Thanks Greg

Yes mate a very bad situation. Appears to be a lot of politics involved sadly.

I have camped in the area three times over the years gone by. Each time the river was healthy and the lakes were to my knowladge full and the fishing was good.

It shocks me to see the reports that are being posted and i feel for the local communities that rely on this water way for survival

Yeah it's a sad situation, who the hell knows who is to blame, but I feel for the folks that rely on the river for what little amount of tourism follows the Darling.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadDave View Post
    Yeah it's a sad situation, who the hell knows who is to blame, but I feel for the folks that rely on the river for what little amount of tourism follows the Darling.
    I agree. There are alot of arguments that it is the cotton farmers, or the drought or the sudden release of cold water. The photos of the dead fish is heart breaking and the river with no water in it.

It would be great to somehow get an independent review on how it occurred and more importantly an action plan to minimise the likelihood of this ever happening again.

It is going to take a very long time, think decades to get the river healthy once again.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Menindee lakes and the darling river run was one I had hoped to do sooner then later however it does seem it will be much later on the cards now

As for why there is even cotton farming in such a remote area with such a water hungry crop needs to be looked into rice and cotton are grown in many different parts of the world I cant see there being a shortage should it be stopped in such remote area's of Australia
    as for the mention of a royal commission to look into the issues at hand and put preventive measures in place well it all comes down to government and big business the politicians don't represent us sadly

Follow ujs on Insta and Facebook @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Facebook Thanks Greg

Forum Enthusiast
    Cotton farmers give me the ****s, 2 dams in our area have now been emptied to let water run down system to fill their allocations. Both of these dams I (did) love fishing at, Keepit is around 0.3%, alot of fish found dead, and splitrock is just below 5% with fish now starting to die. I don't understand how they can let the dam get so low when there is nothing coming back in to replace it. Both of these dams will take years to recover fish stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleandy View Post
    Cotton farmers give me the ****s, 2 dams in our area have now been emptied to let water run down system to fill their allocations. Both of these dams I (did) love fishing at, Keepit is around 0.3%, alot of fish found dead, and splitrock is just below 5% with fish now starting to die. I don't understand how they can let the dam get so low when there is nothing coming back in to replace it. Both of these dams will take years to recover fish stocks.
    That's very disappointing. It will be interesting to know how this can actually occur. As you said, why be draining it if there is no in-flow. As you said, it is going to take a long time to recover.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Forum Master
    Whilst the current situation is an utter sh!tfight as to the how & why, don't let this stop you doing a Darling run Wu, there's lots more than the fishing. The best way to help the river communities is to go & travel the river. Spend a quid at the local pubs for lunch or dinner ( or both ), have slow look around. We picked up the Darling top side of Bourke & followed it to the Murray & on to the Coorong before back tracking the other side back to Bourke. Can't wit to do it again. When I was 12yrs old( 1982), we went to visit my sister in Broken Hill, Menindee lakes had sheep grazing in them, it was that dry!!last time, the lakes were ready to burst. As you know , I'm a fisho too. We get fish kills here on the Clarence system( largest on the Eastern seaboard ), no weirs, no cotton farmers etc on the main river, but sometimes it happens. Who knows, is it Natures way to balance the books?? I don't know. Would it stop me from travelling ??? Certainly not I would hope .Do the river folk a favour, burn some fuel & spend a buck. You'll enjoy it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Whilst the current situation is an utter sh!tfight as to the how & why, don't let this stop you doing a Darling run Wu, there's lots more than the fishing. The best way to help the river communities is to go & travel the river. Spend a quid at the local pubs for lunch or dinner ( or both ), have slow look around. We picked up the Darling top side of Bourke & followed it to the Murray & on to the Coorong before back tracking the other side back to Bourke. Can't wit to do it again. When I was 12yrs old( 1982), we went to visit my sister in Broken Hill, Menindee lakes had sheep grazing in them, it was that dry!!last time, the lakes were ready to burst. As you know , I'm a fisho too. We get fish kills here on the Clarence system( largest on the Eastern seaboard ), no weirs, no cotton farmers etc on the main river, but sometimes it happens. Who knows, is it Natures way to balance the books?? I don't know. Would it stop me from travelling ??? Certainly not I would hope .Do the river folk a favour, burn some fuel & spend a buck. You'll enjoy it mate.
    I know there is plenty to see and do mate but my main reason for such a trip is the fishing so I wont be doing such a trip until the river recovers unfortunately and I'm sure there are others in the same vote.. not only when you head to remote area's like this its nice to be able to sit in the water and cool off while enjoying a beer or two

Forum Master
    All good mate, I know where you're coming from. Sadly, I think it will be a long time before the river recovers to anywhere near previous conditions. Losing that many fish is bad enough, but loosing brood stock is an even bigger blow. Has there ben any talk of help with a restocking program (water permitting)? Maybe some of the big water takers will put their hand in their pockets & help !