Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: HAWKESBURY RIVER/NSW

  1. #11
    Forum Master Harps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,216
    I can offer no advice. However have a awesome time and please post up a few photos. Especially if you manage to catch a fish or two.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

  2. #12
    Senior Member 2Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    What a great adventure your going to have. The Hawkesbury is a huge river system with plenty to explore. It is a river system that has plenty of history back to the first fleet and settlement days.

    It can be broken into many parts, including downstream from the F3 Bridge where you have the Coal n candle creek area, bobbin head, and out to Broken Bay and Pittwater and Brisbane Waters. You will have a navigational limit downstream around West Head and Patonga line. Then you can travel upstream to Wiseman ferry and the Berowa creek area.Again I think there will be a navigational limit to Wiseman or maybe Sackville Reach. These navigational limits will be placed by the hire company.

    if your trip overlaps a weekend then I would suggest maybe avoiding the wiseman end on the weekend as that is when the ski boats come out, with mid week being more pleasant. Downstream tends to be more fishing boats and motor cruisers

    I never really fished much on the river but spent many days doing plumbing work on river properties including spending 18 months on Milson Island when converted to a Sport n Rec camp, and 18 mths working on a sewer program around Brooklyn and Danger Island and 2 years working on the Wiseman Ferry country retreat. I have such a love of the river that along with my brother we have a river property at Wiseman Ferry. I guess for me part of this comes from being descendants to the first fleet and my mothers family having a land grant at Laughtondale and grandfather having a property on the Colo River

    In the Milson Island passage there is an old naval ship wreck HMAS Parramatta which is meant to be good fishing.
    Upstream to Wiseman Ferry and Sackville is nice travelling and gives a perspective of how the river gives way from broad sections of river to sandstone cliff faced river. Another novel thing to do is to stop at the Spencer Village store for a long neck under the tree. Wiseman's Ferry hotel is a nice spot to get a feed. There is a public wharf but I'm not sure on the stopping arrangements.

    It would be a great trip if after you get of the boat and you could then explore the areas along the river in the 4wd, particularly upstream. Enjoy.

  3. #13
    Crossed-Over greig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    central coast
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    . I guess for me part of this comes from being descendants to the first fleet and my mothers family having a land grant at Laughtondale and grandfather having a property on the Colo River

    .
    I too have ties to the 1st fleet. My ancestor helped discover the Hawkesbury and is buried at Wisemans cemetery.

  4. #14
    Forum Enthusiast Spike69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Gymea Bay
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    What a great adventure your going to have. The Hawkesbury is a huge river system with plenty to explore. It is a river system that has plenty of history back to the first fleet and settlement days.

    It can be broken into many parts, including downstream from the F3 Bridge where you have the Coal n candle creek area, bobbin head, and out to Broken Bay and Pittwater and Brisbane Waters. You will have a navigational limit downstream around West Head and Patonga line. Then you can travel upstream to Wiseman ferry and the Berowa creek area.Again I think there will be a navigational limit to Wiseman or maybe Sackville Reach. These navigational limits will be placed by the hire company.

    if your trip overlaps a weekend then I would suggest maybe avoiding the wiseman end on the weekend as that is when the ski boats come out, with mid week being more pleasant. Downstream tends to be more fishing boats and motor cruisers

    I never really fished much on the river but spent many days doing plumbing work on river properties including spending 18 months on Milson Island when converted to a Sport n Rec camp, and 18 mths working on a sewer program around Brooklyn and Danger Island and 2 years working on the Wiseman Ferry country retreat. I have such a love of the river that along with my brother we have a river property at Wiseman Ferry. I guess for me part of this comes from being descendants to the first fleet and my mothers family having a land grant at Laughtondale and grandfather having a property on the Colo River

    In the Milson Island passage there is an old naval ship wreck HMAS Parramatta which is meant to be good fishing.
    Upstream to Wiseman Ferry and Sackville is nice travelling and gives a perspective of how the river gives way from broad sections of river to sandstone cliff faced river. Another novel thing to do is to stop at the Spencer Village store for a long neck under the tree. Wiseman's Ferry hotel is a nice spot to get a feed. There is a public wharf but I'm not sure on the stopping arrangements.

    It would be a great trip if after you get of the boat and you could then explore the areas along the river in the 4wd, particularly upstream. Enjoy.
    Agree with Pacs about the cold one at Spencer. We had a weekend getaway on the Hawkesbury over 10 years ago at a waterside property nearby (I think it was called Oxley's Boatshed) and we took a tinnie ride up to the Spencer Village jetty one day. It really is a great place to sit and have a picnic. Quiet and relaxed with great views. So good in fact I bought a stubby holder with the Spencer village on it
    So much to see, so little time.......

  5. #15
    Senior Member 2Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    786
    [IMG]20180914_175115[/IMG]

  6. #16
    Senior Member Parry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney Northern Beaches
    Posts
    503
    Where you go on that waterway depends on what you want to do.
    If you are planning to motor and sightsee, most of the time, then you would usually head upstream, up the river.
    If you are planning to travel short distances between anchorages and then relax for most of the day then Coal & Candle Creek/Cowan Creek are the places to go.
    We have a boat that we keep in Pittwater and usually go away with the family, 6 adults and 3 kids. We usually go to Yeomans Bay, Refuge Bay or Smith's Creek.
    As an example Yeomans has a number of National Park moorings that are usually available midweek.
    It has a great sandflat that is exposed at low tide.
    Just be observant walking in the shallows as there are a lot of rays. It would be very unlikely that you would tread on them as they will usually clear out as you approach.
    I always manage to catch a feed of fish by working the edge of the flats at the top of the tide. You will catch Bream, Flathead, Whiting.
    Dawn and dusk are the best times
    The best bait are nippers that you pump on the low tide, they are pretty scarce these days so take some prawns with you.
    You will need to fish the shoreline in these bays, you are wasting time in the deeper areas.
    Refuge Bay has a heap of private and club moorings that would be available during the week.
    Just remember if the owner/club member turns up do the right thing and move to another mooring. This is unlikely to occur midweek.
    Refuge has a great sandy beach and a waterfall for a shower.
    Unless you are equipped and know the locations you shouldn't bother chasing the Jewies.
    If you fish in the Hawkesbury proper you will probably catch a lot of catfish, especially at night.

    I can give you a lot more advice if you want to contact me.

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLh34vYCUkDWnPfd7

    I have put a few photos of Yeomans and Refuge in an album.
    I hope this works.

    Cheers
    Parry

  7. #17
    Senior Member 2Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Parry View Post
    Where you go on that waterway depends on what you want to do.
    If you are planning to motor and sightsee, most of the time, then you would usually head upstream, up the river.
    If you are planning to travel short distances between anchorages and then relax for most of the day then Coal & Candle Creek/Cowan Creek are the places to go.
    We have a boat that we keep in Pittwater and usually go away with the family, 6 adults and 3 kids. We usually go to Yeomans Bay, Refuge Bay or Smith's Creek.
    As an example Yeomans has a number of National Park moorings that are usually available midweek.
    It has a great sandflat that is exposed at low tide.
    Just be observant walking in the shallows as there are a lot of rays. It would be very unlikely that you would tread on them as they will usually clear out as you approach.
    I always manage to catch a feed of fish by working the edge of the flats at the top of the tide. You will catch Bream, Flathead, Whiting.
    Dawn and dusk are the best times
    The best bait are nippers that you pump on the low tide, they are pretty scarce these days so take some prawns with you.
    You will need to fish the shoreline in these bays, you are wasting time in the deeper areas.
    Refuge Bay has a heap of private and club moorings that would be available during the week.
    Just remember if the owner/club member turns up do the right thing and move to another mooring. This is unlikely to occur midweek.
    Refuge has a great sandy beach and a waterfall for a shower.
    Unless you are equipped and know the locations you shouldn't bother chasing the Jewies.
    If you fish in the Hawkesbury proper you will probably catch a lot of catfish, especially at night.

    I can give you a lot more advice if you want to contact me.

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLh34vYCUkDWnPfd7

    I have put a few photos of Yeomans and Refuge in an album.
    I hope this works.

    Cheers
    Parry
    Thank you Parry but the trip has been done and we have been home for a couple of weeks.

    May i say it's a fair expanse of water and there are no sign posts out there. The houseboat that we hired was not really what we expected but it served it's purpose.

    We spent our first night at AMERICA BAY. Bait was frozen pilchards and squid. First catch was a small PORT JACKSON SHARK, swallowed the bait but did not hook up, so it swam away. Which was good, saved cutting the line. Next up Gail dropped a line in, she was yelling i have caught a shark. Turned out to be the biggest FLATHEAD i have ever seen, the type you see in the fishing magazines. Got it so close to the boat and i was just about to grab it by the mouth not wanting to get spiked, same thing swallowed the bait and not hooked, swam off. I so wanted a photo of it. We were using 3/0 bait holder hooks.

    The next day we headed off and moored at LITTLE SHARK HEAD POINT. A good little spot with a small beach at low tide. Dropped a line again and picked up a lot of small TAILOR. We stayed there the day and night. We could see boats/Marina opposite in the distance COWAN POINT i think. We headed there the next day, looking for a resturaunt/cafe and a nice meal. Motored over and not sure of moorings trying to do the right thing, we turned around and headed to JERUSALEM BAY. The water way was getting narrower. Gail was at the front of the boat. I was getting a bit nervous, she was saying, oh look at the big fish and stingrays. I looked, clear water that was getting shallower and thinking we are going to run a ground with no room to turn. She was just admiring the fish. Managed to turn the boat around to my relife and we moored at YOEMANS BAY that night. PHEW!

    The following day we set a course for BROOKLYN MARINA needing to restock on some things and maybe a nice feed at the hotel/shops?

    An interesting trip. The wind was blowing 40 to 50 knots. Managed to tie up to the public mooring, with out damage but was a bit worried. Resupplied and got some hot tucker for lunch.

    Left the mooring and headed straight into the wind thinking this is not good, the tide was coming in, we needed shelter.

    The only thing i could think about was AMERICA BAY. Crossed the water straight on one meter waves/swell. Bang crash bang wondering if the dinghy is still out the back?

    We got there.

    Two others turned up seeking shelter. All was good and the wind died down later.

    A serene peacefull night.

    Good time away, local knowledge would be good for the tourists and more info from the hire company?

    Returned the house boat the next day

    PS-Bailed the dinghy the next day and made sure the motor worked.
    Last edited by 2Lost; 22-11-18 at 07:48 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Parry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney Northern Beaches
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Lost View Post
    Thank you Parry but the trip has been done and we have been home for a couple of weeks.

    Hahahah,
    Story of my life, I will be late for my own funeral.
    Sounds like you had a good time.
    Having been there once you can now come back for a longer period with much more confidence and a better idea of what to do and where to go.

    Cheers
    Parry

  9. #19
    Senior Member 2Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Parry View Post
    Hahahah,
    Story of my life, I will be late for my own funeral.
    Sounds like you had a good time.
    Having been there once you can now come back for a longer period with much more confidence and a better idea of what to do and where to go.

    Cheers
    Parry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •