Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time member but only just starting to post....

Forum Newby

Long time member but only just starting to post....

Hi all. I am Steve. I am a 53 year old with a wife and 2 kids. I have been 4wding for a long time. In the Army at 17 years of age and spent plenty of time in the bush and instructing at a couple of locations. In 2002 I discharged due to health issues (long story) and said I would never go bush again....

In 2010 I purchased a 150 series Prado and quickly set it up for trips. In 2013 I ran a Simpson trip and for those who know the Prado, I got the dreaded cracks through the body so that car had to go.

At the same time a mate had the motor blow in his 200 series and we both said we would never own another Toyota again... so I went for a 2010 GU Patrol. Not a nice, but everything repairable.

I now instruct for my club on a regular basis and go on trips when I can, but health issues still dominate my life. I only just finished an 18 year fight with Vereran’s Affairs, so hoping for another Simpson trip next year.

My GU is well decked out with, bull bar, rock sliders, draws, long range sub tank, giving me 170lt in total, kaymar rear bar, foxwing awning and a GVM upgrade to keep it all legal.
    Last edited by Smakb; 01-06-18 at 10:03 PM.

Gíday Steve and welcome. Thanks for taking the time to drop in and tell us about yourself.
    Bloody 150 front chassis cracks, no good. A great car to drive and own but all vehicles have their bugs as your mates 200.
    Canít go wrong with the basic GU, been around in many forms longer than anything.
    Iíve owned 2 of them!

Being in the ADF youíve learned a few things about life and survival out in the bush.

Look forward to hopefully one day catching up around the campfire

Smokey
    Adam
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Forum Master
    A patrol man is good man matey where do you call home fella?

Forum Newby
    I live in the Frankston, Victoria, area. I get up the high country a bit, but prefer the longer desert trips. Planning a Simpson crossing for next April at the moment. I would have gone this year but I have a kid doing year 12, and didn’t want to leave her at home.
    Last edited by Smakb; 03-06-18 at 08:50 PM.

Welcome Steve glad you are enjoying the forum hope to catch you around the camp fire some time
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Follow me on Insta @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Greg

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Hi Steve, welcome aboard. In the army at 17... I joined just before turning 17 myself. An ex army apprentice by any chance? I'm also a 4WD Vic instructor, for both driving and chainsaws.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Forum Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by Red GU View Post
    Hi Steve, welcome aboard. In the army at 17... I joined just before turning 17 myself. An ex army apprentice by any chance? I'm also a 4WD Vic instructor, for both driving and chainsaws.

Dave
    Na... not an apprentice. I looked at that with the Navy when I was 15 and the thought of joining for 9 years scared me off. As I was walking out the Army guy called me over and said come back at 17 and you on,y need to sign up for 3 years. I ended staying for 20 years......
    2010 GU CRD, Auto, GVM upgrade, Kaymar Rear, Mickey T ATZ P3 285/70/R17, 4.6 Diffs with GQ LSD, front e-locker & 63% reduction gears.

My Rig (still to come)
    My Life

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smakb View Post
    Na... not an apprentice. I looked at that with the Navy when I was 15 and the thought of joining for 9 years scared me off. As I was walking out the Army guy called me over and said come back at 17 and you on,y need to sign up for 3 years. I ended staying for 20 years......
    9 years was daunting. I stayed for 10 1/2 but they wanted to send me to Tindal so I got out. Now I'd love to live up that way for a couple of years to explore the whole gulf area of the country.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Forum Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by Red GU View Post
    9 years was daunting. I stayed for 10 1/2 but they wanted to send me to Tindal so I got out. Now I'd love to live up that way for a couple of years to explore the whole gulf area of the country.

Dave
    Yep, it’s hard on the family. Giving kids a stable school environment was hard with each state having different standards. My health finished my career so it was taken out of my hands.
    2010 GU CRD, Auto, GVM upgrade, Kaymar Rear, Mickey T ATZ P3 285/70/R17, 4.6 Diffs with GQ LSD, front e-locker & 63% reduction gears.

My Rig (still to come)
    My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2.8 View Post
    Gíday Steve and welcome. Thanks for taking the time to drop in and tell us about yourself.
    Bloody 150 front chassis cracks, no good. A great car to drive and own but all vehicles have their bugs as your mates 200.
    Canít go wrong with the basic GU, been around in many forms longer than anything.
    Iíve owned 2 of them!

Being in the ADF youíve learned a few things about life and survival out in the bush.

Look forward to hopefully one day catching up around the campfire

Smokey
    Adam
    I don't believe he was referring to cracks in the chassis but more in the inner guards. I've never really heard of chassis cracks before but plenty of inner guard cracks where the batteries sit....
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired