Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long time member but only just starting to post....

Forum Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by robmacca View Post
    I don't believe he was referring to cracks in the chassis but more in the inner guards. I've never really heard of chassis cracks before but plenty of inner guard cracks where the batteries sit....
    Yes it was the inner guards. 5 vehicles on that trip, two being Pradoís and both Paradoís had the cracks on both sides. The inner guards are just not strong enough to cope with the amount of flex in the chassis.

There is a lot of talk on the Prado forums about the cause, but it comes down the the chassis having more flex than other comparable vehicles and that puts pressure on the body to absorbe the movement. The weakest part, being the inner guard then gives way. If you ever drive in a 2010 or later Prado fitted with a bullbar on any road with bumps you can see the bar almost bouncing. Itís not the bar moving but the chassis that it is attached to. Toyota wiped their hands when this happened, blaming the modified suspension and accessories, but it also happened to many that were stock standard.
    2010 GU CRD, Auto, GVM upgrade, Kaymar Rear, Mickey T ATZ P3 285/70/R17, 4.6 Diffs with GQ LSD, front e-locker & 63% reduction gears.

My Rig (still to come)
    My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Smakb View Post
    Yes it was the inner guards. 5 vehicles on that trip, two being Prado’s and both Parado’s had the cracks on both sides. The inner guards are just not strong enough to cope with the amount of flex in the chassis.

There is a lot of talk on the Prado forums about the cause, but it comes down the the chassis having more flex than other comparable vehicles and that puts pressure on the body to absorbe the movement. The weakest part, being the inner guard then gives way. If you ever drive in a 2010 or later Prado fitted with a bullbar on any road with bumps you can see the bar almost bouncing. It’s not the bar moving but the chassis that it is attached to. Toyota wiped their hands when this happened, blaming the modified suspension and accessories, but it also happened to many that were stock standard.
    Yes, I know all about this as we had it happen to our 2010 Prado 150. Ours cracked on the Drivers side and we were fortunate in that Toyota paid for the repairs. I had the repairer strengthen this area as well. I also made up a Bracket that holds the battery down but also is fastened to the front panel to stop any movement forwards/backwards. I've down this on both sides (Main & Aux Batteries). This happened a number of years ago and we have down 100+kms since then without any further issues..... So I'm hoping that has permanently solved the issue but also just recently I've moved away from using our Prado as our remote tourer and gone in a different direction and to date, I'm happy with my decision.....
    In saying that we are planning another outback trip in the Prado to Carnarvon Gorge and some of the surrounding NP's....
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired