Thread: Rhino Foxwing vs 30 second awning video comparison

Rhino Foxwing vs 30 second awning video comparison

Hi all,

Whilst away camping on the weekend, a friend (Mud duck) and I took the chance to compare our 270 degree awnings side by side and capture some video whilst we were at it.
    They're both very similar in what they do, but each has its own strengths w hen it comes to design or weight.
    We're both happy with our purchases. Neither is perfect and I think you could take a little of both to make a better product all up.
    That's always the way though.

here's the video review.

Brett

Thanks for sharing the review boys. Gives a great insight to ownership of both brands.
    But I was surprised at the weight, thatís some heft up there. But considering their usefulness it quickly makes sense.

Smokey
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Sup smoke.

You're right on weight but when mudducks cruiser is such a fatty, it probably doesn't matter much.
    I was just having a squiz to see if I could spot the weight of a normal awning but can't seem to find one.
    I do recall when fitting it my foxwing felt a little under about twice the weight.
    Im very happy with mine as he appears to be with his.
    Horses for courses and all that

The 30 second awning is a rip off of the Ostrich Wing and as I own the first Ostrich Wing ever to come into Australia I have now had mine for over 6 years and still love it

I notice in your comparo that when you set up there wasn't a breathe of wind to be seen, the same comparo in a decent wind would be an eye opener for those unfamiliar with the 2 awnings. I also noticed that Steve's awning doesn't have the rear brace that mine has, so I don't get the rocking that his showed in the video. I personally have had mine setup in winds where I am having trouble keeping my hat from blowing off my head and it stood up to that no worries, without guy ropes.

I will set mine up even if we only stop for 10 minutes (and want the shelter) and not even have to think about whether its worth it. I can set mine up in 18 seconds and pack it away in under 30 if I try

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Hey Andrew,
    yeah Steve said that he thought his 30 second was same same to the ostrich.
    Thanks for pointing out the difference in the rear support.
    Any chance you could stick up a pic of it ?
    I'm convinced I can find an easier way to get my foxwing back in its bag.

I broke a hinge on my foxwing setting up in the wind. In its defense the wind that got it was also responsible to ripping the awning off 2 caravans at the same time. Mine included
    so 2 awnings for me in 1 storm. It came out of nowhere.

We did this clip after we packed up from camp on the last day, so we were pretty keen to get done and hit the road.

Forum Newby
    Good video. I have the foxwing with two side walls and I love it, but as per the video, setting up in wind is an issue. I purchased mine when I wanted the Ostrich Wing, but they were not available in Australia at the time.

I found a slightly different way to fold it up to make it easier to get the cover on. Hard to explain, but with the first fold, taking the bottom over to the right about half way up (before rolling). I don’t do that. I fold two of the sections in the same direction, but go all the way to the top. Then fold the remaining two in the opposite direction, towards the front, before rolling. It spreads out the bulk. There is still a tight spot, but seems to work better for me.

I will post a picture if I ever get an Internet service that works again, can't use my computer and can't post pictures from my phone.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Forum Master
    Another very happy Foxwing user here. have been for the last 10 or so years

Thanks Smakb.
    I was considering the side walls but if Im in for a long stay I take the caravan. Once I get the rear bed build finished that might chance and I may pick some up.
    I think I've got an idea of what you're saying with folding it. I'm convinced there is a better way, So I'll try that out.

AJ. keen on some pics. I'm interested in the differences.

10 years? that gives me confidende there Croaker, that if I look after it, I've got another 9 years or so up my sleeve