Thread: Cranking battery and deep cycle battery

Forum Newby

Cranking battery and deep cycle battery

Good evening,

I have a question i have to purchase a new auxilliary battery for my set-up. what i'm asking is if my car has a normal lead acid battery for cranking the motor can i put a AGM deep cycle battery as the auxilliary.

I have a redarc sb12 solenoid in between the setup but want to know if i have to get both batterys the same

Any advise or response would be appreciated.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by diver6 View Post

what i'm asking is if my car has a normal lead acid battery for cranking the motor can i put a AGM deep cycle battery as the auxilliary.
    Hi Alan,

No problem using a different battery to the cranking one. The charging system on most vehicles isn`t designed to fully maintain a deep cycle battery so a regular "top up " using a good multi stage battery charger will extend the life of your deep cycle battery.

Ditch.
    "I would rather that my bones had been left to bleach in the desert than yielded an inch of ground I had gained at so much expence" - Charles Sturt 1845

Just remember, if the AGM battery is going into the engine bay be very careful.
    AGM batteries don't like heat.

Cheers
    Parry

I'll second Parry's thoughts, if it's under the bonnet stick to a wet cell deep cycle.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Iíll add my thoughts with a few years in the trade. Yes as mentioned can run a different type battery to start as an Aux. charging may as mentioned also need a Ďtop upí every now and again.
    As for AGM batteries and heat, agree they arenít first choice but they are a very robust battery and coming from military backgrounds are a great choice for a start / aux setup. I know Iíve run them for 10 plus years under Smokey2.8 without fault.
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2.8 View Post
    I know I’ve run them for 10 plus years under Smokey2.8 without fault.
    Yep, they might be good under a vehicle, but under the bonnet is not the best spot !!

Some engine bays are fairly good for heat and some are terrible, but the OP didn't say where he wanted to put it ?

Forum Newby
    Thanks for the replys guys, the actual auxilliary battery is set up in the rear of the vehicle in my canopy so heat isn't a drama. I just heard people saying that you have to run the same batterys.

I have run various combinations of batteries over the years without issue with a setup that sounds much like yours Diver. My second battery (AGM) which is in the cargo area of the Prado has been running strong since I installed it in 2009, so I guess I must be doing something right

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute