Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Buffalo & Beyond, (2nd/Final Report)

Forum Enthusiast

Mount Buffalo & Beyond, (2nd/Final Report)

I finished the last report where I had arrived at Lake Moodemere, a short distance from the Murray River.

Nearby was the small town of Wahgunyah so as I had a bit of time to kill I drove there following some bush tracks beside the river. My first stop was at a local cemetery to pay my respects to the founding fathers of the district.

In the very early days, before they had built a church, services were held under the broad branches of this tree. Then as it is now, it was known as the Mass Tree, the first catholic service was held under it in 1865.

The bridge over the Murray which takes you into Corowa is unique. Only one lane wide, traffic lights indicate who has right of way.

I spent a little more time wandering about town before heading back to the banks of the Murray at my chosen spot to capture the end of what had been an epic day.

Waiting for the sun to set, the area around me was bathed in a beautiful light, and then the sunset itself.

With the last bit of light left I drove the short distance back to my campsite beside the lake, pitched my tent and rustled up a sumptuous Baked Bean meal that would have the majority of you salivating. What a day, I hit the sack and slept like a log until I needed my obligatory middle of the night stroll. The sky was so beautiful so with the stars shining brightly I got the camera out and took these pics, at 2.45 am

When I got back to bed I had trouble sleeping as what I had just experienced was just one of those very special moments, but in the end I did and then just before 5.00 am I was again up to witness what I had come to this spot for, a sunrise over Lake Moodemere.

This first pic was taken at 4.56am and from there the sunrise just got better and better.

Although I concentrated on getting those shots through the trees, a short distance to the left I took these.

That was the most mind blowing, stunningly beautiful, brilliant sunrise I had just about ever experienced. I was extremely lucky to witness it, but I also put a lot of work into being in the right spot. When I first located that lake and the small clearing beside it 6 months earlier I penciled it in as a future camp. I also timed my visit so the weather would be reasonable. Whatever however I was there and saw it and it was sensational.

Even though the colour had gone out of the sky, the early morning sun still lit up my camp in some lovely warm colours.

This next shot is looking back to the trees across the water where I had camped.

It was time to hit the road, I drove to the Ovens River and followed it south checking out any and all potential camping areas for future reference. It was along here at an information panel that I came across some wildlife, you see there was a Huntsman Spider wedged between the info and the glass cover. It didnít move and as there was only millimetres between the surfaces I thought it was dead. When I tapped the glass it moved and I nearly pooped myself, the tough bushie was glad there was no one around to witness that backward 2.5 metre high jump Ha!

Below Wangaratta I followed the King River for awhile, the next photo opportunity appeared seemingly in the middle of nowhere, and yes another church, 4 ks north of Moyhu and 27 ks south of Wangaratta.

This area is noted for its connection with many Irish pioneer families, and the infamous Kelly gang. Early on the local people decided they needed a church so the Holy Cross Catholic Church was built in 1873.
    Inside there are a number of magnificent stained glass windows, the attention to detail in them was quite amazing.

I then drove out to Paradise Falls in the Alpine National Park just south of Whitfield and Cheshunt. I had visited these at least 5 times previously but had never seen them flowing. Heavy rain in the area early in the week had me excited at the prospect of finally witnessing one of the great Falls in Victoria possibly Australia! The main feature of these falls is the sheer drop and that you are able to walk right in behind the waterfall.

And I finally lucked in, water was cascading over the more than 30 metre drop in torrents. These falls were hard to capture being in shade when I was there, but as you will see they were spectacular.

Along the walking track and then approaching the falls area itself.

Looking out through the falls down the valley, although it is hard to see into the distance due to the volume of water cascading down!

The noise of the water pounding on the falls base was deafening, the spray it displaced was horrendous but I was able to force myself close enough to it to capture this truly amazing event for you all to see.

I just remembered I took a short movie clip to record for prosperity the falls finally working in all their glory. Click on the link.

How was that!! Well I might have exaggerated a little Ha, but I was so happy to see that trickle

After that the next destination seemed far less exciting, not that dams weirs or lakes are known for their adrenaline producing properties, this is Lake William Hovell

From there the track turns into a 4wd one, I drove up it to a spot I had camped at 3 years earlier.

I then drove towards Tatong where I wanted to photograph this Hume and Hovel monument.

That date is 1824.

Seven ks from that monument is the Tatong pub which had a real English feel to it.

Well that ends the reports from my two days away, what a sensational time I had, I was able to have experiences and see places that would bring me memories for many a long time.

Hope you enjoyed,

Col.
    Life is not a destination but a journey, make the most of it and remember, the worst day above ground is a whole lot better than the best one under it.

Is it beer o'clock yet? outback jack's Avatar
    Your photos are amazing Col, thanks for sharing with us

EVERYWHERE I GO I BRING HAPPINESS, SOMETIMES ITS WHEN I ARRIVE, BUT ITS USUALLY WHEN I LEAVE

Col fantastic and thank you

Thanks so much Col it sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Those experiences like Moodemere are what camping is all about to me.

New visit Rutherglen occasionally to stock up on Muscats and tokays so you’ve given me some ideas for places to stay in the area. Thanks again!
    So much to see, so little time.......

Once again Iím speechless Col, plus nothing beats a early rise to find spectacular sunrises like those. Not to mention the great solitude of touring solo and itís freedom.
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Forum Newby
    Long time lurker here but Col your trip reports and photos are spectacular, just been reading through a few of them but really enjoyed this one as it bought back a lot of memories. I was born and spent the first fews years at Docker about five or six km from Moyhu. Mum ran the post office at the front of our house and dad worked in Milawa dairy and was a life member of the Moyhu footy club so as kids went all over that area for footy games. I now spend a lot of time up on the Murray water skiing and your report has motivated me to go back and have a look around the area next time I am up there, in particular i would like to see if I can find the remains of my old primary school, six grades in one room, one row for each grade, one teacher for all grades and remember the hitching rail under a massive gum tree for the kids that rode to school. Again thanks for the fantasic report and the kick in the backside

macca

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Nice pics and good write up. Makes me realise how much of surroundings we take fro granted. Rutherglen is a 12 min drive from us, Lake Moodemere another 10min or so from there. I should get out locally with my camera more often.

Have you ever been to the Pink Lakes Col? If you can get lucky with the weather just after fresh water has flowed into the lakes all the algae turns pink and on overcast days it is nearly the colour of a pink highlighter. Makes for great photos.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Quote Originally Posted by Red GU View Post
    If you can get lucky with the weather just after fresh water has flowed into the lakes all the algae turns pink and on overcast days it is nearly the colour of a pink highlighter. Makes for great photos.

Dave
    I'd like to see that! Another reason to come and buy some more muscats
    So much to see, so little time.......

Forum Enthusiast
    Well done Col. Looks like you missed a vocation as a travel writer.
    Great effort.
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

Forum Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Col.
    Life is not a destination but a journey, make the most of it and remember, the worst day above ground is a whole lot better than the best one under it.