Thread: Runva winch EWX9500 vs 11XP

Runva winch EWX9500 vs 11XP

Hi Guys,

I was looking into installing a Runva winch on the ARB commercial bar I've chucked on order.

I was a bit confused on some pricing and which way to go.

After dealing direct with Runva re a query between the EWX9500 and 11XP , I got back some spec sheets from them in less than a day.

I must say this has been the best response I've had from the larger retailers yet.

Anyway to the point.

My main concerns for the winch was weight and current draw under load.

I only have a single starting battery, so I was paying close attention here.

I do have an Aux battery and with this in mind , may consider an isolation switch on the dc-dc charger to turn it off whilst winching.

The 9500 is 30kg with the 11000 only 1.4kg heavier.

Current draw is also not that dissimilar as per the spec sheets. Let me know if you want to see them and I'll load them up somewhere to share. bloody photobucket

They've recommended a 750cc battery for both. So no additional requirements here, regardless of choice.

Sizing is also identical.

For only $74 bucks more, the 11xp seems to be the winner.

Let me know if I'm missing anything

ARB and Runva, both say a offset Hawse fairlead is required and both can supply for around 100 bucks.

I've seen them as low as 40 and was wondering if there is anything specific about them or should I spend the 100bucks whilst I'm at it?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Brett

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denmonkey View Post
    Hi Guys,

I was looking into installing a Runva winch on the ARB commercial bar I've chucked on order.

I was a bit confused on some pricing and which way to go.

After dealing direct with Runva re a query between the EWX9500 and 11XP , I got back some spec sheets from them in less than a day.

I must say this has been the best response I've had from the larger retailers yet.

Anyway to the point.

My main concerns for the winch was weight and current draw under load.

I only have a single starting battery, so I was paying close attention here.

I do have an Aux battery and with this in mind , may consider an isolation switch on the dc-dc charger to turn it off whilst winching.

The 9500 is 30kg with the 11000 only 1.4kg heavier.

Current draw is also not that dissimilar as per the spec sheets. Let me know if you want to see them and I'll load them up somewhere to share. bloody photobucket

They've recommended a 750cc battery for both. So no additional requirements here, regardless of choice.

Sizing is also identical.

For only $74 bucks more, the 11xp seems to be the winner.

Let me know if I'm missing anything

ARB and Runva, both say a offset Hawse fairlead is required and both can supply for around 100 bucks.

I've seen them as low as 40 and was wondering if there is anything specific about them or should I spend the 100bucks whilst I'm at it?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Brett
    I bought an 11XP for the ARB bar in our Navara, since removed and installed into the TJM bar on our new Colorado. Other than some demo winching at training days, etc it hasn't been used. Not in anger anyway but the plug in controller and remote both just work, I like the idea of the remote. The wiring supplied included an isolator also which was good. I also needed the offset hawse lead for the Navara which was extra as the unit was supplied with a straight one which is what is now used.

The main thing to look for in a winch which you didn't mention is the duty cycle. I found the duty cycle of the Runva pretty similar to most other brands. Runva also offer a good guarantee which includes being submerged, many winch manufacturers don't and if they find mud / water in your winch can / will deny any warranty claims.

Try Justin from Walkabout, not sure if he is still a member here but even though the winch had to be freighted from Tasmania his pricing was excellent when we bought ours.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Dave,
    yes I've seen other threads pointing Justin's way and he seems to have the best prices plus free delivery.
    So most likely he will be getting my money.
    I like to support the guys who support the forums rather than chuck money at the big guys. Providing prices aren't hugely different.
    From everything i've read the Runva's seem to be good for the money and especially with warranty.
    The XP seems to have a good IP rating which doesn't hurt either.
    4x4australia did some tests with the 11XP coming out on top. So almost a no brainer really.
    I wont be putting it in silly places, so the 9500 would probably work fine with a snatch block in the mix.
    There's really not much pointing me to the 9500 though at this point.

Runva EWX9500-Q 12V with Steel Cable
    Rated Line Pull 9500lb (4309kg)
    Motor Series Wound (12V) 6.4kW/8.6hp
    Gear Train Full Steel 3 Stage Planetary
    Gear Ratio 110:1 Extra Low for Extra Speed
    Brake Automatic Load Holding Screw Cone
    Steel Cable 9.2mm x 26.5m
    Mounting Bolt Pattern 254mm x 114.3mm
    Overall Dimensions 577mm x 163mm x 217mm
    Remote Control 3.7m Handheld Remote/Wireless Remote
    Battery Leads Included. 2 x 1.8m Heavy Duty Leads
    Finish Grey Powder Coat
    Net Weight 37.5kg
    Gross Weight 39.5kg (includes packaging)
    Warranty Limited Lifetime

Runva 11XP 12V with Steel Cable
    Rated Line Pull 11000lb (4990kg)
    Motor - Series Wound (12V) 4.9kW/6.5HP
    Gear Train Full Steel 3 Stage Planetary
    Gear Ratio 230:1
    Brake Automatic Load Holding Screw Cone
    Steel Cable 11mm x 26.5m
    Drum Size 63mm x 223m
    Mounting Bolt Pattern 254mm x 114.3mm
    Overall Dimensions 540mm x 163mm x 221mm
    Remote Control 3.7m Handheld Remote/Wireless Remote
    Battery Leads Included. 2 x 1.8m Heavy Duty Leads
    Finish Red Powder Coat
    Net Weight 38kg
    Gross Weight 40kg (includes packaging)
    Warranty Limited Lifetime
    A mate of mine deals in some 4wd gear and he is a dealer for Runva & another brand of winches. Going on what tells me, the Warranty & Support on the Runva incredibly good. Anything that needs replacing is usually done without any hassles. One motor that came in was about 5 years old and seized doe to water ingress but was replaced no questions asked. Can't complain about that!

I fitted the 11XP with steel cable onto my Patrol early last year. I've barely used it to be honest! But the wireless remote is very handy. I've seen the 11XP in action, on one occasion it dragged a dead Landcruiser up a pretty steep hill on a single line pull without any worries.

If you fit a 750cc + battery and use the winch sparingly you should have plenty of power - winch for 30 seconds, recover for 30 seconds is what was taught to me on a work 4wd course. (All the work vehicles have single batteries + lights, radios etc running off them).

Now the 9500 v's 11000 debate. According to the specs above which I grabbed from their website (Steel Cable models) the 11XP is only half a kilo heavier and has slightly thicker cable.
    The synthetic rope version is only 400g heavier than the 9500.
    The 11XP has a smaller (6.4hp v's 8.6hp) motor so a lower current draw and is narrower (540mm v's 577mm for the 9500) The 11XP's motor has the IP67 rating where the 9500 doesn't. Not sure how it's measured but it means that it's somewhat water resistant - handy if you'll be doing water crossings or dunking it in the mud.

If I was buying another Runva winch, I'd definitely buy the 11XP.

Bitumen! A complete waste of money. mudduck's Avatar
    Id go the 11 Brett,

Cant wait to see all this in action.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD
    2010 200 Series twin turbo V8 Diesel 200kw of screaming Toyota Muscle
    2017 Ford Ranger turbo diesel with some stuff

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Cheers for the input Mick.

They do seem to be a solid choice for the money over the usual gaggle of cheaper winches dominn8r and super cheap variants.
    Also happy to hear the warranty side of this is smooth sailing if needed.
    You're right on the IP rating too. there is also a premium model which has complete IP67 rating on the solenoid and motor. Doubt that would ever come into play for me though. so probably not worth the premium.

Like the points you have listed, there doesn't seem to be enough between them not to go with the 11xp for the extra 70 odd bucks.

If the 9500 was smaller, lighter and had a lower draw it would probably be the way I would go and just carry a snatch block or 2 just in case.

I might not have it ready for bylong steve but we shall see. If the bike sells, then its game on

The Runva get a good rap, I was all set to buy one, but the week I had the $$ the price went up $200 overnight and I was a bit annoyed.

So I bought a Carbon 12K.

But back your question, I went the bigger winch because bigger is better, right? If it has larger capacity, but comes in the same size package and doesn't weigh significantly more, then hopefully the heavier duty construction would translate to better longevity if used at reduced capacity.

A salesman at TJM tried to sell me a 9500lb winch they stocked as he suggested that I could overload the bar, but the 11000lb winch can only actually pull that with 1 wrap of cable on the drum, the rated winch capacity rapidly drops off as you put more wraps on the drum. Mine for example is 1/12,000lb, 2/9800lb, 3/8300lb and 4 wraps is only 7200lb.

9500lb winches are a bit quicker for line speed, but you are more likely to have to reach for a snatch block (and halve your speed) on something a 11000lb can do as a single line pull. Once you have a snatch block you also have half the rope/cable available, so are probably looking for extension straps and shackles to reach the anchor point.

Battery wise, always hook the winch to the starter battery and always have the vehicle running while winching.
    You don't use they 2nd battery as any power the winch will be sucking down will have to run from the main battery through the isolator system. If it isn't up to the job, then you will run down the battery faster than it can get charged into it and risk damaging the dual battery system.
    My winch will suck down close to 390A at full power and not many dual battery systems will cope with that and you will need some heavy supply cable.

If you have a rainy afternoon and want some reading to further support your decision, have a read here: https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php...max-etc.25959/
    Last edited by Hoyks; 12-04-18 at 07:32 PM.

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks View Post

Battery wise, always hook the winch to the starter battery and always have the vehicle running while winching.
    You don't use they 2nd battery as any power the winch will be sucking down will have to run from the main battery through the isolator system. If it isn't up to the job, then you will run down the battery faster than it can get charged into it and risk damaging the dual battery system.
    My winch will suck down close to 390A at full power and not many dual battery systems will cope with that and you will need some heavy supply cable.

Very good advice that bit there. We had a guy who works for one of the energy distribution networks bring some of his fancy gadgets along to a 4wd club weekend and showed us how much current a winch can pull. As soon as it gets loaded up it is sucking huge quantities of power. All my winches have always been wired to the cranking battery and I always run the engine at around 1500rpm while winching.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Thanks guys for the input, I did some reading there Hoyks and it seemed to confirm the positive feedback I'd seen thus far on Runva.

I've since pulled the pin and ordered the 11xp Premium direct through Runva.
    They matched the lowest price I'd seen elsewhere with free delivery.
    Can't complain about that. They even called me on the phone to take the order direct.

I've still gotta get the offset hawse but will opt for a cheapie rather than 100 bucks for one.
    4x4supercenter has them for about 40 bucks.

When I was enquiring about the bars and shopping around , the tjm guy was quick to point out that the bars were only rated to 9600lbs and thus I should stick with a winch rated the same.
    Must have been the same guy you got or at least their standard spiel. Of course he was going to sell me the winch with the bar as a package

It will be wired direct to the cranking battery....it's all I have under the bonnet.
    I think the alternator in most card top out at 125-150Amp. Hearing a winch drawing upward of 400 makes me think, if given the wrong use it could suck a battery dead in no time.
    Especially considering cranks aren't made to be drawn down very far.

Dave, I saw a youtube video on this old rangie that was winching and he has a type of remote control on his idle screw that allowed him to idle up the car from outside (front grill) whilst he was winching.

I'm guessing you just mean from inside whilst winching ?

See how we go I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by denmonkey View Post
    Thanks guys for the input, I did some reading there Hoyks and it seemed to confirm the positive feedback I'd seen thus far on Runva.

Dave, I saw a youtube video on this old rangie that was winching and he has a type of remote control on his idle screw that allowed him to idle up the car from outside (front grill) whilst he was winching.

I'm guessing you just mean from inside whilst winching ?
    Some older 4x4's had a hand throttle that could be used to crank the revs up, my old Landcruiser and Courier had them. You could use them as a poor mans cruise control (but mine topped out at around 70), or hold the revs over uneven ground that would see you bouncing up and down and difficult to hold even pressure on the accelerator.

They were also handy for keeping the revs up when winching back when they were PTO driven, but also handy to keep the electrons flowing when running an electric winch. The 400A is pulling to the point of stalling, which should be a very rare thing.