Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easter wknd, what did everyone else get up too.

Easter wknd, what did everyone else get up too.

I traveled everywhere before finding a quite spot on the Bathurst side of the Bridle Track, clocked up 1300 kilometers by the time i arrived home early this morning
    I went everywhere, & decided to use this weekend to check out places i want to camp in the future, I started from home in wellington & went out through Orange, Blaney, Barry, Hobby Yards, Trunkey Creek, Abercombie, Tuena, Binda, Crookwell, then cut across to Taralga Yalbraith, Curraweela, Gumang, Porters Retreat, then went from Black springs out to Dog Rocks wich was a supprise to find the road was all bitumun these days, stopped at Rockley to say hello to some old friends i had met when my uncle lived at Dog Rocks then headed over to Bathurst, I noticed the truck leaning down on the left side and discovered that all the bolts around the bottom of the left boss air bag were missing so the air had escaped, i decided to camp at a rest area for the night & then got some new bolts at repco on Sat morning & was on my way again, I then headed across to Sofala, then the upper Turon where i went for a quick run down to Turon Gates, its was full of campers & looked like they were crammed in every nook & cranny I then headed over to the Turon National Park to say hello to a few friends camping over there but was unable to find them, then I headed back to Mudgee to refuel as i don't know how many k's i am getting from a tank as yet & haven't tried filling the reserve tank as yet because it looks like someone has changed the factory valve from to a manual type and i haven't had time to see how it is set up as yet, I then headed back to Windamere dam for a look before heading back to Sofala, had lunch at Sofala then headed out towards Hill End, I turned off at Turondale road then on to Box Ridge road across Box Ridge, what a great bit of road that is & i saw lots of great camp sites along the Turo that i noted for future trips, there were lots of campers already there so i kept moving, I followed box ridge until I hit the Bridle Track, box ridge comes out at the alternate route to hill end when your traveling along the bridle track from Bathurst, there were two gates to open & close along this track, lots of steep climbs & incines & some really awesome views, I spent sat & Sun night camping at the last camp site before the Rock slide on the Bridle track, link to campsite below, I traveled 1340 kilometers & gave the old truck a good work out but still haven't had it in 4x4, i think having all the weight on the back gives me lots of extra traction lol, it was a bit slow going up some of the steeper hills, eg: I'm talking 2.5 kilometers of twisty winding steep road in 1st & second gear but mostly first gear trying to climb up out of the Abercombie on the way to Black Springs lol, it did have a large sign at the bottom of the hill warning travelers that it was Very Very steep, I did a bit of detecting around camp & found about 30 tent pegs which was good because i was short on those, found lots of bullet casings bottle tops & mostly rubbish, then went down to the river and did some crevicing amongst some bedrock, when i panned the material out i had gotten from the crevices i had about a gram fine gold, nothing to write home about but if was fun finding it,
    Think i will plan future trips away during non holiday periods during the week, everywhere i went was so over crowded hence the kilometers i have traveled, found lots of nice places i would like to visit again but it will definitely be in the off season, my campsite on the bridle track was only about 50 meters from the last campsite i had there, the dog had a ball again & wore himself out chasing & catching carp & swimming in the river, he was pretty much running everywhere amusing himself exploring, he was so tired when we got home last night or early this morning that i had to literally carry him into the house, he never woke up until this morning so he must have been buggered lol
    As for rubbish there was plenty left behind by previous campers, lots of bags of rubbish, a couple of lounge chairs & even a cat scratcher, I loaded three garbage bags of rubbish into my canopy before i left camp and brought it home with me but wasn't able to fit the cat scratcher & broken lounge chairs in, its a shame that some people don't give a rats about taking out what they brought in it only ruins the experience for future campers. why on earth they felt the need to take lounge chairs in there is beyond me, although i have seen plenty of videos on youtube of the young ones doing it & there is even a video on there of the bridle track with all there camp setups with lounges etc but its an older video so not the same lounges, Anyway all in all i had a great weekend and found lots of future camp site to try the next time i get a break from work
    PS, will post some pics later.
    barnsey
    Black Gate reserve on the bridle track https://www.google.com.au/maps/place....4279349?dcr=0

Sounds like you had a good trip. Me? I had to work two days out of the four.
    Swampy

We joined 4 other families and spent 4 nights at Reflections park Cudgegong river near Mudgee. We had a great time checking out the wineries, doing a bit of offroading and sitting around the fire with a few beers. The kids loved sleeping in the campers and swimming and fishing in the river. It's a great spot for a break from the rat race.
    Cheers Jon
    2017 Toyota Prado GXL turbo diesel
    2014 Ezytrail Tarwin camper trailer

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    We joined a few friends and camped north of Bendigo in the Notley camp ground. Our friends did a bit of gold detecting and the two of us mainly relaxed but spent a day in Bendigo visiting family and attending the parade on Easter Sunday.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

We went to Corryong for our first time and loved the area. Stayed at Clack Clack which was very busy. Saturday went for a tour of Murray 2 at Khancoban then drove up to Thredbo which was great and took a chairlift to the top watching heaps of crazy mountain bikers doing the downhill run. We called into Tom Groggin and Geehi on the way back to camp. Sunday went for a drive up to Cabramurra which is a very scenic drive and we all enjoyed. Early packup Monday and joined the hordes on the Hume for the drive home. We will definately go back to that area at some stage as there is so much to see.

sounds like everyone had a good adventure,

We only just got home from our Easter Weekend We have been touring around the Outback for the last 10 days, I reckon a trip report might be in order.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

I was going to take a bit longer too but decided to come home & get stuck into work & save some $$$$ so i can go away for a couple of weeks next month

Yeah I only took 10 days because I want to have 5 weeks off later in the year. This trip was a real novelty for me, first time in 15 years I got paid whilst on holidays

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Cruised the South Pacific