Thread: Convert A Nissan Bar To Winch Bar?

Convert A Nissan Bar To Winch Bar?

G'day, I'm hoping to get some opinions on what I'm doing to my standard bar to fit a winch is going to be strong enough.

I had some 5 mm plate bent up with 35 mm edges, it fits between the two 12 mm mounting brackets. I was then going to weld three 5mm gussets in the corners. Since pulling the bar off I think I'll extend the middle one the full length of the mounting bracket because I think that will be the weak spot for any sideways pull.

I'm hoping the pictures link up ok. It's a first.

On a side note.... I've spent a fortune and a lot of time putting the old girl on a diet ( got it to around 3.1 tonnes fully loaded for crossing the Simmo last year) . Tray and canopy all ali, I picked up an original aluminium bar and was going to fit that before buying a winch. I can lift it one handed easily, I was shocked how heavy the steel bar is let alone with the plate and winch. Is all that weight hanging off the front likely to increase the chances of something breaking like coil spring mounts over time?

Cheers

I think I'd want more holding it onto the chassis. There is a fair amount of weight bouncing up and down forward of any support. Cyclic loads are what cause things to crack over time.

Is there any way you can replace those 2 mounts with something that pushes further into the chassis rails and can spread the load between more than 6 bolts?
    It might be worth making a winch cradle that bolts to the chassis and then the bar slides in and bolts over the top of that. It would make servicing the winch easier too.

On a Standard Nissan Winch Compatible Bar, (GU Series 1 & 2) there are 4 bolts on each side of the bar joining it to the chassis. The winch itself bolts directly to the front of the bar ie the 'legs' on the winch face forwards.

I'd be concerned that the mounts on this bar would twist under the load of the winch, depending on which direction you're pulling, or alternately, use a winch mounting cradle that bolts directly to the chassis and also holds the fairlead, so there's no stress on the bar or mounts (you'd just have to cut a hole in the face of the bar for the fairlead & rope/cable to come through) An example would be something similar to this: Winch Cradle Mounting plate for Nissan GQ GU Patrol

I can grab some pics of how mine is mounted if you'd like.

Thanks Fellas. I've searched for winch mounts and second hand winch bars. The GU appears to have more substantial chassis rails for the bar / winch to Mount to than the GQ. I was about to start welding the plate in but will have another look. The mounts on my bar slide inside the rails and bolt through to the outer side of the chassis. I've got two roadsafe recovery points bolted to inner side of the chassis rails. I was going to weld a plate from them forward to the winch plate and that would have given me mountings to both side of the rails. The problem with that was the winch is to long to to fit between them.

I bought a Runva 11xp premium.

Forum Master
    What model patrol Buzzo? My GQ has a Nissan steel winch bar & the mount is a RHS type of sleeve that slips over the ends of the chassis rails & bolts from inside & outside faces. The winch is mounted 'feet forward" directly to the bar. mine's a 97 LWB

G'day Croaker. It's a 96 GQ Coil Cab. I can see how RHS could slip over but can't get the picture of how the bolts get done up. Do you weld the nuts to the inside of the chassis rails? I better go out and have another look but I thought when the winch drum was central in the bar one side of the winch was closer to the mounts than the other and it wouldn't allow the RHS to continue straight to the plate. I was going to mount the feet vertically straight to the bar.

Forum Master
    The bar mounting bolts are going into nuts factory welded to the inside of the chassis rails. I have a Warn XD9000 ,no trouble to undo the 4 winch bolts (& cables) & drop the winch out the bottom.

I'll do some more searching and see if I can see your setup. Meanwhile what do you think of welding a piece of flat the full length of the mounts that I have, like the bit of scrap I have sitting there now? The chassis has a hole where I have drawn it. That would give it 4 bolts per side with the flat stopping sideways flex.

url=https://postimg.org/image/8buhuq6wl/][/url]

Forum Master
    Thought I'd better go & have a look at mine,been a long time since I pulled the bar off, just as well !!! Some of the bolts are into factory threads, there is also an insert inside the rails with nuts welded to it.Mine also has the so called "recovery eyes" under the bar like the ARB style .