Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Billy Goat Bluff Tk closed?

Quote Originally Posted by gordo350 View Post
    Just back from a weekend up near dargo. The high plains rd was simple enough. Pretty rocky in parts but ok. Done some other tracks that were a little different to my normal. Blue rag, hearns track, conroys track. I'm hooked now
    Great photo

Dave,

We.re planning on driving into the Wonnongatta Valley from the north via Abbeyard Rd - West Buffalo Tk - Harry Shepherds Tk - Wonnongatta Tk into the Wonnongatta Stn Ruins. From here we were planning on driving Herne Spur Tk, then onto Cynthia Range Trk & then onto Eaglevale Trk & camping at Eaglevale Campsite on the Wonnongatta Rd.

From your previous comment on Hearn's Tk - My question is this Herne Spur Tk suitable for Trailers or should we go the alterative way via Humffray River Trk - Wombat Range Trk & then onto Cynthia Range Trk? How rough is this Herne Spur Tk?

Quote Originally Posted by Red GU View Post
    Hearn's track is a good climb out of Wonnongatta but doesn't get used as much as the easier ones. We took a group up to Blue Rag last week but because the road was closed for pushbike riders we had to take a few more interesting tracks to get there. Made for a big day of over 11 hours in the cars but was well worth it. Some had never experienced steep tracks such as Stockman's before but we took them to much steeper and difficult tracks later in the week.

Cheers
    Dave
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robmacca View Post
    Dave,

We.re planning on driving into the Wonnongatta Valley from the north via Abbeyard Rd - West Buffalo Tk - Harry Shepherds Tk - Wonnongatta Tk into the Wonnongatta Stn Ruins. From here we were planning on driving Herne Spur Tk, then onto Cynthia Range Trk & then onto Eaglevale Trk & camping at Eaglevale Campsite on the Wonnongatta Rd.

From your previous comment on Hearn's Tk - My question is this Herne Spur Tk suitable for Trailers or should we go the alterative way via Humffray River Trk - Wombat Range Trk & then onto Cynthia Range Trk? How rough is this Herne Spur Tk?
    Hi Rob,

Last time I drove Hearne's Spur it was in good condition. It was graded maybe 4 years ago now so is more open than it used to be however it is the steepest track heading up from Wonnongatta. If you have the power to pull a camper up there you should be fine. If doubtful take the alternate route you suggested, that is still a great drive.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Thanks Dave....

This will be our 1st BIG trip in our old Defender & towing as well, so bit uncertain as to how it will go towing up really steep climbs.... How steep are we talking about? I took the old Defender & Trailer for a bit of a test drive up through Mt Mee area that has "some" steep tracks to see how the Defender went and it went ok, but I also wasn't fully loaded either.... Are we just talking about steep or also step-ups; loose rocky parts; switchbacks, etc?

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Red GU View Post
    Hi Rob,

Last time I drove Hearne's Spur it was in good condition. It was graded maybe 4 years ago now so is more open than it used to be however it is the steepest track heading up from Wonnongatta. If you have the power to pull a camper up there you should be fine. If doubtful take the alternate route you suggested, that is still a great drive.

Dave
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robmacca View Post
    Thanks Dave....

This will be our 1st BIG trip in our old Defender & towing as well, so bit uncertain as to how it will go towing up really steep climbs.... How steep are we talking about? I took the old Defender & Trailer for a bit of a test drive up through Mt Mee area that has "some" steep tracks to see how the Defender went and it went ok, but I also wasn't fully loaded either.... Are we just talking about steep or also step-ups; loose rocky parts; switchbacks, etc?

rob
    I'll see if I can find anyone who has driven it recently. There was a re-enactment of the Wonnongatta Murders on the Vic long weekend a couple of weeks ago so lots of people went there. From my recollection there were not any tricky corners / switchbacks or anything but there were a couple of spots with a loose surface but some more recent info could be good...

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

I definitely would not pull a trailer up Hernes track. Half way up there is a loose soft hole that stopped me in the ranger. Required diff lock and all the right foot I had to get going again.

I definitely would not pull a trailer up Hernes track. Half way up there is a loose soft hole that stopped me in the ranger. Required diff lock and all the right foot I had to get going again.
    How long ago was that?? Would have the track conditions changed at all?
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

That was on Saturday afternoon

That was on Saturday afternoon
    Cool... thanks for that. Looks like we will take the alternative route then
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

I'm no gun 4by driver but pulling a trailer up there would be pushing your luck big time. If you don't get up first go, backing up and picking a different line would be. ......... ahm ........ different