Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan 2018 Clarence Valley - Wave Hill Station

Jan 2018 Clarence Valley - Wave Hill Station

Back early January we went away for a short break based at Wave Hill Station in the Clarence Valley area. It was pretty soon after rain so the river at Wave Hill was not really suitable for swimming or kayaking, particularly around where they have the Safari tents. Wave Hill Station also definitely requires 4WD access for anything but the two cabins near the house (we actually stayed in one as we'd had a hectic Christmas period and just didn't need the "hassle" of a full camping trip this time around - whatever we did had to be easy).

We loved our stay. Really nice area we hadn't thought to explore previously, and would like to spend a lot longer there if and when we go back.

Full blog post here: http://www.bulldustandbackroads.com/...ion-farm-stay/

And YouTube video of the track on the Station here:

Forum Newby
    Trinity,

That was a cracking little video. Your dog was looking pretty chilled in the back and appears to be a good traveller. I haven't been to Wave Hill yet but it is on the list. One question. Was Graeme Bowes around? If he was he was probably fishing. Graeme has been splitting his time between there and the Kimberlies over the last few years and I have lost contact with him. We were supposed to catch up for a fish so I was wondering if he is still around.

Keep the videos coming. It definitely looks to be a great spot with plenty of room to move.

Cheers
    Ken

Great little video Clip..... That's not too far away from where stayed @ The Gorge just across the other side of the river where we got smashed from a severe storm
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

Quote Originally Posted by robmacca View Post
    Great little video Clip..... That's not too far away from where stayed @ The Gorge just across the other side of the river where we got smashed from a severe storm
    I believe you may have been there not long before us... there were a lot of trees down and damage up around the main house at Wave Hill Station. Apparently they got slammed! Would not have liked to have been camping in that kind of weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Titfish View Post
    Trinity,

That was a cracking little video. Your dog was looking pretty chilled in the back and appears to be a good traveller. I haven't been to Wave Hill yet but it is on the list. One question. Was Graeme Bowes around? If he was he was probably fishing. Graeme has been splitting his time between there and the Kimberlies over the last few years and I have lost contact with him. We were supposed to catch up for a fish so I was wondering if he is still around.

Keep the videos coming. It definitely looks to be a great spot with plenty of room to move.

Cheers
    Ken
    Unfortunately we didnít meet anyone else while we were there. One of the campsites had a few people camping (a group) but we gave them space as thatís pretty well what we were told to do by the owners of the place. They did appear to have a little tinnie out for a bit of fishing though - went past while we had the drone out at one of the vacant campsites.

Forum Master
    Great to hear you enjoyed your visit down on the Clarence. There are plenty of little hidden gems in the Clarence Valley, give me a shout next time you are heading this way Trinity may be able to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Great to hear you enjoyed your visit down on the Clarence. There are plenty of little hidden gems in the Clarence Valley, give me a shout next time you are heading this way Trinity may be able to catch up.
    Sounds good, will do!

Funny thing is the Clarence Valley area never crossed our radar somehow until we happened on the cottage at Wave Hill on Airbnb and thought we'd give it a go. So grateful we did! Such a lovely area.

How close can u get to the actual gorge in the Clarence? Is it within a close walking distance of where u camp?
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???

Forum Master
    You were closer than you know Rob. From memory, you could walk upstream to the Gorge from Neil's place. bit of a hike but easily doable. I think Neil would run you up in the tinnie if there was enough for a run (can't remember if he charged a fee). It's rough , rugged but beautiful....... bit like me really....

Oh OK....Neil wasn't really in a good mood after the storm hit..... We did find out that he's has the place up forsale.... if u have a few million that is...

Looking on Google Earth, I thought it might be a bit easier to get to the gorge from access via Wave Hill Stn....
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM