Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospecting

Hmm the Garett detectors he uses are more affordable than I would have thought some interesting stuff thanks for sharing Laith
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Follow me on Insta @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom Greg

Quote Originally Posted by pacs View Post
    Hmm the Garett detectors he uses are more affordable than I would have thought some interesting stuff thanks for sharing Laith
    What sort of money are they going for Greg and was that Aus or US $$

Thunderbirds are go

Quote Originally Posted by pacs View Post
    Those are VLF detectors and they are a lot cheaper, great for beaches and non-mineralised ground, but next to useless in the hot ground in your back yard pacs.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadDave View Post
    Those are VLF detectors and they are a lot cheaper, great for beaches and non-mineralised ground, but next to useless in the hot ground in your back yard pacs.
    Dave are you saying if the ground has a high iron stone concentrate like a riverbed and your looking for gold there's to much interference and you can't pick the gold for the iron stone?

Thunderbirds are go

I'm not too sure about riverbeds specifically, but the ground around Bendigo/Ballarat has a really high iron content, and the VLF detectors just continually give signals when there is nothing there.

We brought back a big bucket when trying to get our own detectors working with it, it just looked like any old red dirt, but we had a bugger of a time trying to not get false signals from it, even when using a pulse induction design.

Who knows, with modern digital processing, VLF detectors may be better in this respect these days, all the info in my head is now 15+ years old.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

I brought a cheap minelab x terra 505 to start out in case i lost interest, i haven't had a chance to really use it in the right areas yet but i have fine tuned all the settings on it and tested its performance by burying the gold nugget i found whilst panning in the yard at different depths then using my detector to adjust the settings, it picks up the target easily with a strong signal when buried 15" under ground, so the cheap detectors do work and can find gold,
    I am looking at buying a second detector now & it will also be a minelab

this is what i am looking at & it is pretty well priced at $1099 for what it is.
    Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Metal Detector
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab-...QAAOSwRTVabebc
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab-...QAAOSwRTVabebc

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Metal Detector

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 turns beginners into experts with fully automatic operation in an easy-to-use, high performance detector.

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 comes with a choice of coils, battery options and shaft configurations. If you are looking for super sensitive gold performance at a great price, then this is the detector you've been waiting for!

Features:

Fully automatic operation
    Extra sensitive 45 kHz VLF performance
    Highly adaptable
    2 search coils included
    Easy quick start

Gold Monster 1000 outperforms all other single frequency VLF gold detectors!

Up until now, there has always been a compromise between frequency and sensitivity when optimising detector performance, because lower frequencies are more sensitive to larger gold nuggets and higher frequencies are more sensitive to smaller gold nuggets.

When comparing detectors, the three curves in the diagram represent each detector’s ability to find small gold nuggets of a certain size, at a maximum possible depth. Most detectors will find a very large nugget just beneath the surface, however a detector’s sensitivity to gold determines how many smaller nuggets will ultimately be recovered in difficult (noisy) ground at greater depths.

An 18 kHz detector will normally have a depth advantage on nuggets ≥ 1.0g over a basic mid-frequency detector, and a 71 kHz detector will have a depth advantage on nuggets ≤ 0.1g. The advanced GOLD MONSTER 1000 uses an intermediate 45 kHz frequency AND a high speed 24-bit signal processor. This primary combination greatly boosts sensitivity to gold beyond that of other single frequency VLF detectors over a wide range of nugget sizes, without introducing excess noise and false signals.

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 also has improved ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination and copes better with conductive (salty) soils than higher frequency detectors, making it the perfect choice to maximise your gold recovery!

Hey Brett!
    I think the gold monster was the one I was looking at in the shop in Mudgee today and yes the fully auto settings make it dead easy to use. You might want to check out the new detector from mine lab called the Equinox which is due to be released very soon. The sales lady was telling me it's been designed for the people that may want to do more then one type of detecting from the beach to the bush, gold detecting in rivers or just search for coins or other treasure, and I'm sure she said it was completely submersible. She wasn't sure of price yet but thought it would be in the low $1000+ range. Also it's meant to be dead easy to set up and use.
    I know I'll be holding off to check it out.
    While I was there I picked myself up a panning starter kit so I'm keen to test it out

Thunderbirds are go

Quote Originally Posted by king kahuna View Post
    I know I'll be holding off to check it out.
    yeah i am in no rush yet either, i will check it out too
    my x terra is waterproof to 1 meter & isn't too bad for a cheap one, the best part about having my nugget laying around i can set the 505 to target gold & edit the settings to reject targets like nails alloy etc, i was playing with the 505 at burrendong a couple of years ago when i first brought it, first time testing it out and using it and found $5 in old 1966 & 1967 20 cent pieces, lots of old bullet shells old KB hand cranade ring pulls, lots of nails screws & other old metal objects just by walking along the side of one of the tracks down the back of the dam I really haven't had a chance to get out and have a real crack at it yet since then but the 505 will be used for my backup relic hunter after i buy another better or more advanced detector, the novalty hasn't worn off yet, i just let work get in the way of weekends & holidays, the joys of working for yourself,
    this year i plan on changing my working habits & am going to give myself lots more free time to start enjoying the things i love more than work, fishing camping touring & gold & relic hunting

Quote Originally Posted by barnsey View Post
    yeah i am in no rush yet either, i will check it out too
    my x terra is waterproof to 1 meter & isn't too bad for a cheap one, the best part about having my nugget laying around i can set the 505 to target gold & edit the settings to reject targets like nails alloy etc, i was playing with the 505 at burrendong a couple of years ago when i first brought it, first time testing it out and using it and found $5 in old 1966 & 1967 20 cent pieces, lots of old bullet shells old KB hand cranade ring pulls, lots of nails screws & other old metal objects just by walking along the side of one of the tracks down the back of the dam I really haven't had a chance to get out and have a real crack at it yet since then but the 505 will be used for my backup relic hunter after i buy another better or more advanced detector, the novalty hasn't worn off yet, i just let work get in the way of weekends & holidays, the joys of working for yourself,
    this year i plan on changing my working habits & am going to give myself lots more free time to start enjoying the things i love more than work, fishing camping touring & gold & relic hunting
    Sounds great....just so you know I work a 7 on 7 off roster so if your ever doing anything like this during a weekday and want some company just send me message as I may be at home and up for a day trip

Thunderbirds are go

Forum Master
    I got a Minelab Gofind 60. It isnt by any stretch a pro unit and was quite affordable at $300 or $400 only.
    I had watched and read a lot of positive reviews on it and the way it folds up it great to make it a permanent item in the Cruiser.
    I have used itnat the beach mainly and it definently found everything from coins to fishing lures and lots of tent pegs. Oh also an Iphone 6 plus that still had charge.

https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbi...n-entry-level-