Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospecting

Prospecting

Hi guys!
    In the last week I've been watching a few you tube vids on prospecting for gold, mainly panning and have gotten quite keen on the idea.
    Since the Turon river is now on my door step I've decided I'm going to give it a go, I've still got to set myself up with gear and permits but that will happen very soon.
    So I was wondering if any of our beloved members are into prospecting and what gear do you use, also where do you go and if your in my area (I'm just out of Mudgee) would you be willing to join me and teach me the ropes?

Thunderbirds are go

check out Andrews channel Adventure Gold, Andrew is on the turon river all the time & his videos are always very educational, shows you where to look & what to look for
    https://www.youtube.com/user/19andrew72/videos

I am planning on getting out around hill end & the Turon a lot more this year, i'm just a beginner, new to panning & detecting,
    found this nugget in my first pan a couple of years ago, beginners luck, but haven't had a chance to get out for a while due to work commitments but this year i am going to make time
    got this 1.9 gram nugget on my first pan in between Hargreaves & Hill End
    Last edited by barnsey; 28-01-18 at 05:31 PM.

Very nice Brett nothing wrong with beginners luck. Maybe we could organise a trip sometime once I'm all set up!
    Yeah I've been watching his vids, very informative. In part he's the reason I've got the itch to give it ago. If nothing else it looks like a good way to spend a lazy day or overnighter by the river
    Last edited by king kahuna; 28-01-18 at 05:34 PM.

Thunderbirds are go

yeah it should be fun, still sorting the bugs on my truck but the best way to sort them is to use it
    my mates are all heading to the Vic goldfields next week for 2 weeks to do some detecting, wish i could have organized to go with them but i only just went back to work last monday & have work booked in waiting for me, hoping to start taking a few weekends off when things settle down & looking forward to trying my luck in the Turon river, Andrew makes it look easy

Seems very popular this detecting business guys I know a few lads that are getting out a couple have had some luck but heck they shelled out some coin for the detectors and others with older units digging up the state for nothing seems like most area's have been gone over that much only the newer detectors are finding anything.
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Follow me on Insta @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Greg

Myself and a mate almost got into detecting about 15 years ago, but we were coming at it from a different direction than most. We were both into electronics at the time and thought wed have a go at making a pulse induction metal detector.

We made two working prototypes, but we never got our head around the ground balance with all the iron in the ground up in the golden triangle, but we did end up with a couple of killer beach detectors, can pick up 10c about 3 foot deep from memory. We hit a few local beaches and the mate found a 1920s era platinum ring with a diamond in it worth a few grand, I found mostly trash and a few coins.

We keep telling each other we will pony up the coin for the latest Minelab one day but it will probably never eventuate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Forum Master
    This is something ive alway been interested in.
    Watch tons of videos on river prospecting and metal detecting. Find it really interesting.
    I got myself a fold up metal detector that stays in V3.
    Watch this blokes vids on youtube often when i have nothing else to do.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nuggetnoggin

I watched a heap of his last night Laith and if nothing else I feel closer to God��
    Last edited by king kahuna; 29-01-18 at 03:07 PM.

Thunderbirds are go

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    I've never caught the bug but have a couple of friends who enjoy it. Saw some very serious operators in the creek at Thowgla over the weekend. Big stainless steel sluices set up. I've learnt a lot about where to find gold in the past couple of years reading a lot of info about the history of the Buckland valley and areas such as Yackandandah. Gold reefs appear in quartz in mountains running north south. I didn't believe that until I looked at maps of every gold mine I know and it is correct. (Not sure how that works around places like Bendigo where there is lots of gold but no real mountains... Maybe the geology of the ground still includes North / South rock formations below ground level. ) The alluvial gold comes from these reefs. Panning was one of the techniques used to locate reefs. They used to pan to a point where no further traces were found then go exploring on the mountains, usually burning the vegetation then searching for the quartz.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Forum Master
    Quote Originally Posted by king kahuna View Post
    I watched a heap of his last night Laith and if nothing else I feel closer to God��
    Haha, yeah he is very religious. I find his enthusiasm quite entertaining and contagious.