Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHC Track Protocol & Comms - What is the Protocol on single lane Tracks in the VHC

Question VHC Track Protocol & Comms - What is the Protocol on single lane Tracks in the VHC

Gents,

As we are planning our 1st trip down to the VHC, I was just wondering what the protocol is when driving in the VHC, especially when the tracks are really only meant for one vehicle - what do u do when u come across a vehicle in the opposite direction, especially when towing?

Is there a particular UHF Channel that u are suppose to monitor when driving down there?
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

Forum Enthusiast
    I try to get out of the way all the time, but I'm usually not towing either! If there's protocol I don't know about it,I do try to apply some common sense and courtesy, trouble is, that is not always reciprocated, but ah well. Probably best to leave the radio on scan so you can hear others coming. (But you probably won't hear me cause I'm on 'another band'!) I really should get a little UHF to scan while I'm about but haven't got around to it.

I'm not sure there is a protocol.

I usually just keep in the back of my mind where the last bit of room was to get past, and if need be I'll back up, it doesn't worry me if I have to stop to let people through, I'm up there to relax and enjoy the scenery so I'm in no rush.

I guess if there was a channel on the UHF to use, I usually sit on ch10, but I can't recall ever hearing someone announcing their intentions coming down a track, and typically other folks have been happy to move over if they see a spot to pass when I've run into them.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadDave View Post
    I'm not sure there is a protocol.

I usually just keep in the back of my mind where the last bit of room was to get past, and if need be I'll back up, it doesn't worry me if I have to stop to let people through, I'm up there to relax and enjoy the scenery so I'm in no rush.

I guess if there was a channel on the UHF to use, I usually sit on ch10, but I can't recall ever hearing someone announcing their intentions coming down a track, and typically other folks have been happy to move over if they see a spot to pass when I've run into them.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that u had to call ahead when driving up Blue Rag / Billy Goats Bluff...... I gather than that this is not the case then?
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

I don't deny it's a good idea to call ahead, but I've never worried about it too much, if I see someone coming a few ridges away or something I might get on the blower, but it's pretty rare that I've done it, or heard anything from other parties.

Typically it's pull up to their window and say G'day, mention if you have more vehicles in your party, sit and chat to them for a bit if they are open to it, and then move on.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Regardless of where I am I use channel 10 unless protocol dictates another channel, 10 is what I have used in the High Country. I must say I am one for braodcasting my position on tracks, maybe that's the desert traveller coming out in me, but it's not common in the VHC to hear that. I will usually have one UHF on ch10 and the other on scan to pick up other convoys.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

I'm retired, just go round me. Glenn's Avatar
    On a couple of trips we did the protocol when coming across another vehicle wasthe one going downhill should try and let the one going uphill have the right of way

You’ll find that most will stop, the first car in the car in the convoy. You should and most often get a wave.
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Planning my next adventure Oz Firey's Avatar

The only protocol I usually follow in the VHC is to change the UHF channel whenever there is a sign saying "UHF Channel ?" which indicates that the logging trucks use that channel to advise other track users as to where they are.

Otherwise I leave it on channel 40 unless in a group on a separate channel selected to get away from idle chatterboxes.

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    There is supposedly a protocol. The Vic HC is designated UHF Channel 10 and vehicles travelling uphill are supposed to have right of way. To me, that is logical and sounds good but in practice it doesn't always work. On narrow tracks it can be difficult to find passing locations and quite often the vehicles travelling up will have to stop anyway while others are maneuvering off tracks so it defeats the purpose of allowing them to maintain momentum. We generally stop and assess the best outcome for circumstances as they arise. If we have 10 vehicles in our convoy and a lone vehicle is coming up it is much easier for a lone vehicle to get off the track than 10 individual vehicles. On some of the longer steeper tracks UHF signals don't even reach around the corners or up / down the hills (particularly when people use aerials that are designed for open flat spaces) so you can't rely on them to know a track is clear.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona