Thread: Jayco axleflip (underslung)

Jayco axleflip (underslung)

This week I had the caravan axle underslung to increase its height to stop it dragging on my driveway.
    Combined with the pajero lift (2inch) not for this purpose though and the adjustable tow hitch, I'm now able to get in and out without issue.
    I thought it might help someone looking at their options if in the same situation.
    It will be a few weeks before I head out for a trip away, so the information in the video is more around the lift itself and some initial impressions.

Happy to accept feedback and discussion but don't want this to turn into a brawl like I've seen it in some other forums

Bitumen! A complete waste of money. mudduck's Avatar
    Im a bit dopey Brett, but in the first part of the vid the axle is mounted above the spring, in the second part the axle is still above the spring so how did they achieve the lift? Looks great but I'm easily confused.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD
    2010 200 Series twin turbo V8 Diesel 200kw of screaming Toyota Muscle
    2017 Ford Ranger turbo diesel with some stuff

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

It looks identical to my Jayco, it has spindles welded above the axle and they've just flipped the axles over and left it as sprung under.

I was going to do the same thing to mine, until someone mentioned to me that it's probably better to spring it over and leave the axles the same way up just because they've spent 30 years that way up and they were unsure if flipping the axles was a good thing due to the change in the stresses the axles would see.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Forum Enthusiast
    You may find they are drop axles.
    The stub is offset, against the centre of the axle itself,
    The setup works on compression of the ends where the stub axles are fitted.
    Just refit the axle under your springs. You'll need centre bolt locating plates welded onto the axle in the correct places.
    Should work well, as long as the springs are clear of the area where the stub axles and gussets are located.
    To flip the axle would, as already mentioned, change the stresses to the exact opposite direction.
    To get even more height, you'll need spacers and longer thicker 'U' bolts.
    If it's a straight axle, you can do the same thing anyway.
    Last edited by Cruiser105Tvan; 15-01-18 at 02:27 AM.
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

Hi Steve,

definitely under the leafs now and is giving a lot more clearance.
    I still won't be following you down some of those roads with it on the back but it will certainly be more capable on the odd dirt road, although far from the primary intent.

Dave, You've got me wondering now but I'm 99% sure its a straight through axle. I had heard some of the axles are 'cambered' and can't just be rotated but mine was straight so I couldn't go for that option.

It was professionally done, as I don't have welding capabilities.
    I did plenty of research before taking the jump and for those who have actually done it, I've not read any negative outcomes. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just didn't see any.
    They main concern was if the axle breaks loose it will no longer be 'captured' by the springs. Still if that happens, I think you're already in a world of hurt.
    I'll be sure to keep an eye on the mounting hardware as I go just to be sure.
    All in all I'm pretty happy with it......nothing more likely to make you NOT use something than having a hard time getting it out everytime you use it . Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by denmonkey View Post

Dave, You've got me wondering now but I'm 99% sure its a straight through axle. I had heard some of the axles are 'cambered' and can't just be rotated but mine was straight so I couldn't go for that option.

It may be a straight through but in the video I'm pretty sure I can see a straight axle, with spindles welded to the ends just like my own van, since you got it done professionally we can probably assume they know what they are doing. I know with my own van, that I'd be surprised if the axles would be a problem if they were flipped over, but I just went on the advice I was given and undersprung it instead.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Still looks like the axle is above the spring to me Brett.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Forum Enthusiast
    Certainly looks offset to me as well Steve.
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

shh fellas and don't tell Steve he is right for Gods sake

Quote Originally Posted by denmonkey View Post
    shh fellas and don't tell Steve he is right for Gods sake
    Its all good, lol if they don't tell me I won't know lol
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

200 Tourer
    Ranger