Thread: Youdales Hut

Forum Enthusiast

Youdales Hut

Yesterday had day off so decided to head to Youdales Hut in the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park.
    http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/...les-campground

Took me roughly 3 hours to get there from Tamworth, had to stop in Walcha to get key for access, ($20 for day trip) and kids had a little run round.
    Directions were all well signposted was pretty easy making my way there.
    Soon as you turned off the highway you are onto dirt road, but the road was in very good condition all the way into the park, plus once inside the park we ran into a bloke touching up the road in alittle bobcat.

Access gate into Youdales Hut.
    At this point I had only been in low range prolly the last 1km when I first started going downhill, couldn't believe how well the track was.
    The drive after the gate was good, the track is very steep but very well maintained, not rutted out and no big obstacles, just a good dropoff if you leave the track . Only thing I dreaded was if you did run into someone coming the other way, there would be some reversing required

The hut itself was good, in the background of the first photo is whats left of the old stockyards, fire came through afew months ago, so lucky the hut is still there.
    When we went into the hut it was full of swallows, and they all freaked out because we went in and my boys freaked out because there was birds flying around inside the little hut, was funny to see the mass confusion.
    The camping spots were all well maintained like around the hut plus one drop toilet, looks like a great place for a camp.

This creek crossing (the only one) is about 100m before the hut, would have been nice to see abit more water but....
    Just below the crossing is this awesome stretch of creek, great swimming hole and deep in afew spots, great place for a relaxing cool off.

Saw this on the way out, looks like another place to explore

Nice country up that way Andy, have done a few trips up around Werrikimbe in the last few years but never been to the hut as the creek crossing was flooded when we got there. Thanks for the great photos.
    "I would rather that my bones had been left to bleach in the desert than yielded an inch of ground I had gained at so much expence" - Charles Sturt 1845

Seriously Hooked
    Looks like a great spot.

Formally lived in Blue Mts NSW now live Brisbane Northside
    Thanks Andy for sharing this great spot for your 100th post.
    The whole area bounded by the Oxley, New England, Glen Innis-Grafton and Pacific Hwy's is an area that I'm keen to explore.
    For a moment I thought you must have borrowed my Prado for the trip, looks very similar.
    Last edited by rags; 19-12-17 at 09:41 PM.
    My wheels of choice 150 GX Prado towing a Jayco 12.37 Outback Expanda

Forum Enthusiast
    Yeah, well done Andy, good to see the kids having fun.
    Always good to help create great memories for your kids.
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

Having been to the Victorian High Country countless times over the years I have to say that the Youdales hut looks as good as any of the cattlemens' huts that are spread all over the Alpine area of NSW/VIC. The only difference is that visiting the VHC huts is free to visit and has been that way for many years, the huts are in good condition and have not been mistreated or vandalised.

Is this another NSWPWS money grabbing scheme?
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The only difference is that visiting the VHC huts is free to visit and has been that way for many years, the huts are in good condition and have not been mistreated or vandalised.
    We must have visited different huts in the VHC, I struggle to recall a hut that wasn't totally covered with graffiti on the inside.

It looks like a nice little hut that one, and nice spot to boot, thanks for sharing

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Quote Originally Posted by Littleandy View Post

Saw this on the way out, looks like another place to explore
    Start of a 65 km, 4 - 5 day hiking trail - https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au...en-gully-track
    "I would rather that my bones had been left to bleach in the desert than yielded an inch of ground I had gained at so much expence" - Charles Sturt 1845

Looks like a really nice spot!