Thread: Backpack for a lifted Silverado truck?

Backpack for a lifted Silverado truck?

Hey all, I am new here. Actually I am new in camping as well. I have around 5 years of off-road experience, yet camping is something new for me, you know. Last summer I travelled with a truck bed camp that I installed in the bed of my Silverado, yet I believe I am ready for the next step. First I thought of a trailer, yet I believe that is not the right investment for a guy who 's in love with off-road. Next I thought of a cool camper, which is already better, and it will sit in the truck bed, I'll not have to tow it. My Silverado is lifted, and I was wondering, won't it be a problem? Or it's not safe to use it on a lifted truck?...

Hey Doc - great to have you on the forum.

It depends how serious you want to go I guess.

If you wanted to fit a roof-top-tent to a bed-rack, that would be pretty simple to do. Something like these guys run here:
    http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...!!-Trip-Report

Here in Aus we tend to stick the RTT up high on top of a canopy or on the roof, but I'm not a huge fan of that. Holds the weight very high up, and if you've got a lifted truck to start with, you don't want to make your centre-of-gravity taller than you need to. I like the US-style of mounting the tents on a bed-rack to keep it below the roof line.

What I think you're asking about though is something more along the lines of this sort of thing?

For mine, they look too big and too heavy. Would make a nice beach cruiser, but if you want to stay on the trails, I'd be concerned about both the weight and the sheer dimensions of that thing. Plus, how comfortable do you really need to be?

I really like these units:
    http://www.trayon.com/

They're smaller, and they're lighter than what's shown above, but they've still got lots of internal space and are comfortable. You'd probably need to swap to a trayback on the truck, but that shouldn't be a big deal. As an aside, Norweld are exporting full-size pickup trays to the US now, and they're fantastic quality - https://www.mainlineoverland.com/pag...es-accessories

Either way, Glad to hear you're getting into the camping side of it - it's great fun.

Make sure you post up some photos of your truck - I always love seeing big American iron .

Cheers,
    Matt
    Chickens dig panel damage

Wow, thanks for good explanation and warm welcome, man! Many of our US forums are not that friendly... Especially to thу newcomers. And many are dead, noone replies... seems like everyone has moved to FB.
    Okay, about my truck. OIt is a 2012 Silverado1500, Extended Cab, 4 WD. It is lifted by 6 in (both front and rear), it's got BDS suspension kit. And about the wheels - they are KMC HD Series by Rockstar, 18 x 8.5 in, with Toyo Opencountry tires
    And here is a couple of pics,

Now, getting closer to the camper, or backpack question. Here is what I like (the pic is on teh Nissan Titan, yet I am not sure that such things are made vehicle-specific, rather dimension-specific).
    Here is the pic -

I've taken it from this gallery, and there are pictures from the different angles - https://www.carid.com/gallery/nissan/titan-xd/ Now, I like the way it sits in the bed, you know. Plus, you carry everything needed for comfortable rest with you, which is also cool. But these things are kinda new for me, yet I completely agree with what you're saying - I also like these units...

Formally lived in Blue Mts NSW now live Brisbane Northside
    Hey Doc, welcome to this forum, we are a friendly bunch. Your truck looks good, actually I think you could just set up the camp swag up underneath the truck body it is sitting that high off the ground with plenty of clearance there. We don't see that many large trucks like yours on our roads, maybe occassionly towing a big van or trailer.
    To give you another option this company are doing some good stuff in Australia and now exporting to USA. I have seen a version of their camper trailer mounted directly onto the back of a ute instead of a trailer. https://www.patriotcampers.com.au
    enjoy your self there, the lake or river your photos show looks a nice spot
    Cheers Russ
    My wheels of choice 150 GX Prado towing a Jayco 12.37 Outback Expanda

The slide on campers like you're looking at were more popular here in the 80's, but for whatever reason aren't too popular now. Most here either tow a camper trailer, or have some sort of roof top tent setup built onto the tray. Patriot seem to have a good reputation and do both styles that I mentioned.