Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer in the Simpson Desert

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I hear you Andrew.

When we took the troopie across the Simpson in 2015 we had a roof top ten set up so the back half was quite heavy, running 33" tyres we had 12psi up front and 16psi at the rear, we did not get bogged once and we tackled the most difficult track on Big Red and went over without difficulty on the first attempt.

When we were at Dalhousie I had a chat with one of the members of a convoy of four vehicles parked next to us which included an older, ex RFS, troopie with the narrow tyres and split rims, he told me that he was running at 45psi. I suggested that he should lower the pressure and he took off to speak to his trip leader who proposed 40psi all round.

Well, for the next three days all we could hear on the radio was the convoy trucks getting stuck one after the other, eventually reaching Birdsville about a day and a half after we had arrived, very entertaining and I hope they learned a lesson.

Unfortunately, it will not get any better, the Simpson and other iconic Australian tracks are becoming quite popular with overseas tourists who, either hire very basic 4WD vehicles or buy clapped out trucks which are totally unprepared and they having no idea on how to drive them. Ironically, these idiots tend to boast about their achievements on YouTube or Facebook only to encourage more idiots to follow.
    I could tell a similar story 20 times over from our 4 Simpson trips. i even know people who deliberately run high pressures to "make it more of a challenge"

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

More of a challenge for everyone else also.

Higher pressures is very old school thinking now days. The tracks suffer badly.

I don't know how people put up with higher pressures, maybe it's my old back but as soon as I hit anything that resembles dirt, the air starts coming out, I'd much rather be comfortable than bouncing all over the shop anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadDave View Post
    I don't know how people put up with higher pressures, maybe it's my old back but as soon as I hit anything that resembles dirt, the air starts coming out, I'd much rather be comfortable than bouncing all over the shop anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Not to mention what it's doing to everything in and on your vehicle.

Once you get off the black top pressures go down, speed goes down and stress goes down, in sand lowering the pressures definitely helps reduce the stress :

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Ironically, these idiots tend to boast about their achievements on YouTube or Facebook only to encourage more idiots to follow.
    Sadly not just the "tourists" doing that. Plenty of self-professed experts in the 4WD world blowing their own trumpets and spouting misinformation. *sigh* But that is the era of the internet and social media - everyone has a platform, and the one who speaks the loudest with the flashiest bag of tricks is the one who gets seen and heard.

Just look at the 4WD mods getting recommended by some of the guys out there. How many vehicles on some of the "popular" YouTube channels are even legal? What makes for good viewing vs. sensible driving are two different things - just look at all the 4WD's pouring out with black smoke, or flying through a mud hole with it splashing up right over the top of the vehicle, or downright unsafe recoveries because they look dramatic...

You don't need 35"'s and a body lift and everything else to have fun in a vehicle, or even for it to be capable. I think I am subject to seeing far more of this kind of thing than I'd like thanks to Instagram, perhaps.

The self professed experts you refer to need to do what they do for a living and their trucks are rigged for that daily grind. Most of us use our four wheel drives as the daily bus, going to work, dropping the kids to school, doing the shopping, etc. and, yes I agree with you, 35 inch tyres would be totally out of place in that environment.

Taking holidays four weeks a year and going to the places these guys go to would make you wish that you had some of the equipment that is being promoted but that is not reality. At the same time, we cherish our vehicles and we need them (for the uses mentioned above) and I don't see the reason as to why these experts expose panel bending and mechanical destruction of their vehicles as the normal thing to do.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Forum Enthusiast
    I'm with you Frank. I subscribe to the leave no trace(almost) theory.
    I also believe if you break your truck, you did it wrong.
    And that includes major panel damage. Or prepared poorly and that includes maintenance.

The object of any trip is to complete the trip with as much enjoyment as possible, and the least pain/damage.
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser105Tvan View Post
    I'm with you Frank. I subscribe to the leave no trace(almost) theory.
    I also believe if you break your truck, you did it wrong.
    And that includes major panel damage. Or prepared poorly and that includes maintenance.

The object of any trip is to complete the trip with as much enjoyment as possible, and the least pain/damage.
    Couldn't agree more.

Frank, the guys I was referring to are the ones who wish they did it for a living, and keep getting ticketed by the "fun police" for their illegal modifications driving around in what is basically a comp truck in the the cities day to day. Plenty of those types on social media...

Nothing against comp trucks, either. Know people who have spent a small fortune building, re-building, and fixing them. But they do the right thing and take them off the road when they are no longer legal.