Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kimberley

No, it doesn't leak oil. Redback's Avatar

The Kimberley

Well it was mega, almost 23,000ks in 68 days of dust, corragations, sand dunes, dust, Gorges, heat and cold, great people, dust, amazing weather and campsites, oh yeah and dust

Day one was an easy day as these were just transport days for the real adventure starting in Ceduna so around an 8.00am start after last minute packing, first night was Hay or if we had plenty of daylight maybe a bit further.

Our first hicup, 30ks up the road, restricted performance, buggar, reset the car and we are off again, 2ks later again, then just before the Hume freeway it happened again so another reset and all good for a while, it happened a few more times and because of that we didn't make Hay till 6.30pm, this would be the theme for the first 8 days of the trip and we were determined it wasn't going to stop our trip.

Day two up early and as it was raining a quick pack up and the bakery for breakfast then off we go, halfway between Hay and Balranald Nessies Rok threw a fan belt and as it's blowing a gale and raining I wasn't really in the mood to change the belt, so as we have NRMA premium care we called them, 2 hours later they arrived(mix up between Hay and Balranald) anyway car was transported to Balranald and the belt replaced and away we went, lucky we got an early start as we got the restricted performance again 3 times but we made it to Merbien for the night albeit a tad late.

Day 3 and up early again today a had a trouble free day and made Whyalla, contacted Tombie and his lovely wife and arranged to meet for dinner at the local, was good to catch up Mike, food was good(well I thought it was) as was the company.

As we were close to Port Lincohn, we decided that Nessie and I would push on to Ceduna and Kerry would get up early and go down to Port and have the car looked at by Peter at Lincohn Land Rover and Kerry would meet us at camp later, turns out nothing showed up and what we had done was as good as could be done, the faults were showing as an air flow issue, and as we hadn't had a restricted performance issue since Balranald we thought it was all fixed, so we set up camp and settled in for 3 nights in Wirrabee NP.

Ceduna is small, not a lot to see but we still had a look around, visiting ruins and looking at the beaches and the coastline.

Fowlers Bay Jetty

Hat Head

Camp

William (MAC) Mackenzie Homestead ruins

After 3 days in Ceduna it was time to go north via Googs Track and 30ks later the restricted performance raised it's ugly head again and a further 3 times I was getting pretty angry by now, not something I wanted to happen halfway up a dune, by now we'd tried everything we could do, cleaned all the connections changed the MAP sensor twice, only thing we didn't do was change the MAF back to the old one I had kept as a spare to see if that maybe the culprit, anyway we pushed on and thankfully it didn't happen while on Googs,.

I didn't know what to expect on Googs, I was pleasently surprised, getting your tyre pressures right are key and as I'd never driven on sand in the D4 this was handy when we got to the CSR as I learned how low I could go on Googs.

We decided that Googs Lake would be our camp for the first night and do the track out to the rock holes, as well as look at the memorials to those who built the road and all the other bi roads and points of interests, like day one on day 2 not knowing how long it would take to do the track we would wing it for our second night as well, in the end we made Kingoonya fairly easy and camped out the back having dinner at the Pub,

The Pub is good and the owner is quite the character, the food is pretty good also, well worth a visit.
    First night on Googs

Lake Googs

A lot of people reckon the Rock pools aren't worth the drive out from Lake Googs, but we did it anyway, it is worth it probably not but it is still an interesting place, might be better after some rain maybe.

Sunset

Mt Finke

Kingoonya Pub
    Last edited by Redback; 22-10-17 at 08:40 AM.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 (With the Lot)
    Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    1973 Kawasaki H2-A Project Now Finished
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Up early this morning and Glendambo for fuel and breakfast and off to Eridunda for the night, of course our friend was back "restricted performance" 3 times, up early again and hooked up the camper to Nessies car for the trip into Alice but first it was breakfast at Stuart Wells Roadhouse, first stop while Ness went shopping the tyre shop to have a tyre looked at, it had been loosing air so we thought it best to get it checked, then over the road to Suttons LR to have the restricted performance looked at.

They were great they looked at the car straight away and had it for over an hour they checked everything gave it a full air flow test but nothing showed up, they asked me if the car had been looked at before we left so I explained what we had done, we also gave them the fault codes and told them I had the old MAP and MAF as spares, the fault code gave the indication it was an air flow issue so they said it might be worth putting the old bits back on and see how it went, they didn't have the parts in stock and they couldn't get them in until Monday, I wasn't that keen on staying in Alice for the weekend so that's what we did, they checked the car agian took it for a test drive and we left, filled the cars and also filled our jerrys for extra fuel for the CSR as the fuel is cheaper in Alice.

If anyone is in or near Alice and you need your car looked at and you have a Land Rover I highly recommend Suttons Land Rover, friendly and great service, normally I don't recommend dealers.

So off we go to Palm Valley for two great nights of chatting around the fire with other camper and the bonus of a ranger talk on the second night, a walk around the valley checking out the Palms and Cicads saw heaps of wildlife including the resident Dingo, who managed to grab a steak off the table of one of the other campers, he was told not to leave food about

Just a great place.

Campsite

After 2 great nights at Palm valley it was time to head for Uluru and Kata Tjuta for 3 nights the scenic route via Gosses Bluff(Tnorala) impact crater stopping along the way at Albert Namatjira's(born Elea Namatjira) old home and down past Kings Canyon, pretty easy trip with lunch at Kings Canyon Resort.

After we set up we all had showers and decided to eat out at one of the hotel restaurants, the name escapes me, it was OK I guess then back to camp for a beer and bed.

I'm really not that fond of van parks and the associated noise of inconsiderate people that frequent them, so it was hard to sleep at night, anyway that aside next day was a look around the cultural centre and off to have a look at the rock, while at the cultural centre Kerry found a pamphlet for segways anyway we decided to do the free ranger talk first up which was very interesting after that we all thought the segway thing would be fun so we rang them and they had only the last tour available at 1.00pm, so why not and it was fun and just us too and because there were only the 3 of us they had a guide show us around at no extra cost

Takes about 5mins to get the hang of them and once we all completed their little coarse we were off, so much fun so if you go to the rock try it out it's brilliant, took about 2&1/2 hours to ride around the base stopping at certain points around the base to get creation stories as well as how it actually formed.

Back to the cultural centre for look around again and sign the "I didn't climb the rock" book we decided to respect the wishes of the traditional owners and not climb it, they closed it anyway not long after we went to ride the segways, apparently it was to windy and it looked like rain.

Takeaway tonight from the Ayres Wok asian shop not bad actually, certainly better than the fancy restaurant the night before, next day was our last night and our last night with Ness as she was heading home

Up in the morning and a casual start with breakfast get some firewood out of Nessies Rok to have a roast at camp for Nessies last night, there was a half 44 at our spot and as fires were allowed, why not.

So today it was out to Kata Tjuta for a look see and as with the rock just amazing, in my opinion more impressive than Uluru, certainly bigger and photos just don't do it justice.

Albert Namatjira's

Inside the crater

Outside the crater

Mt Conner

Uluru, photos never do this justice.

kata Tjuta

Last edited by Redback; 22-10-17 at 09:15 AM.
    Cheers Baz.

Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

So after we had the car looked at the problem was solved and we had a faultless run for the rest of the trip, it turned out to be a faulty MAP sensor, and was replaced by our old sensor I kept as a spare, we also were refunded the cost of the sensor when we got home, so all good.

With 3 great nights at Uluru it was time for us to say goodbye Nessie and head west, after a teary goodbye we headed back out towards Kata Tjuta and left onto the Great Central Road, first stop was Lassiters cave for morning tea.

From here it was Warrakurna Roadhouse for lunch, while there we asked for directions to the old Gunbarrel, more to make sure we had the route correct, the guy at the roadhouse drew us a mud map and when we looked at it we both thought that doesn't look right, anyway we figured he knew better so we took his word for it and headed off to have a look at the Giles weather station, leaving there we turned right and headed into the Indigenous community and as we travelled on through we both got a bit concerned we were going the wrong way, this was confirmed when a local stopped us telling us to go back we were going the wrong, we felt like right knobs and went back to our original route we intended to do, what a clown the roadhouse manager is, I wonder how many people he's done this to and what is bad about this is the road he directed us to(Ernest Giles Road) is a restricted road for locals only with heavy fines if you travel on it.

Anyway camp for the night was amazing, in the middle of a Desert Oak Forest, a couple of beers around the fire and off to bed.

Plaque one Sandy Blight Junction

Giles weather station Lens Grader

One of Lens Paintings

Plaque 2

Camp, it's fairly easy going on the abandoned section of the old gunbarrel, sandy mostly with rocky sections thrown in and single track all the way, the last section to Carnegie on the used section is pretty crap but after a while it widens as you get closer to Wiluna shire then it's a super highway all the way to Wiluna.

After our first night on the old gunbarrel we were up early in the morning we would be just travelling until around 3.30pm before looking for somewhere to camp, this was basically what we have always done and this trip was no different and we made camp Beadell for the night, just like our first night it was quiet and peaceful and not a soul in sight in the entire length all the way to Carnegie we saw two vehicles and as is always the case right where the track is the narrowest

plaque 3

Once you turn onto the used section the track starts to deteriate quite quickly from single track with spiniflex as high as the car to washouts and diversions to diversions on diversions.

Rock Pools with locals

Plaque 4, this is also the insection to the Warburton road and where most turn and head to Warburton and the Great Central road east to Warrakurna Roadhouse and Uluru

Camp Beadell for the night

Next morning up early with Carnegie our stop for the night with a well earned shower and a room for the night and dinner, roast beef and veggies and trifle for dessert, we really enjoyed Carnegie the food was pretty good and there were some nice people already camped there, we spent the night chatting with them over a few drinks it was a very pleasant night.

Mt Beadell

Plaque 5

Intersection of the Gary Hwy

Lunch

Carnegie for the night.
    Last edited by Redback; 23-10-17 at 01:58 PM.
    Cheers Baz.

Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the trip.

Excellent so far Baz, looking forward to the next instalment.

Good stuff Baz
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

Awesome

Rough start to the trip. Hope it got better.

Following with interest. Heading to the Kimberley in May.
    Why fish for bream ,when i can camp and chase cod!!:

Your first big trip in a while guys, time for me to pop in for a coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Smokey

Never underestimate the Mighty 2.8!!!