Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp spot, leaving gear.

Camp spot, leaving gear.

When you go to a caravan park you can leav your tent setup your chairs your table eskys etcand just drive off and come back later on and everything's good. Now with campgrounds where you pay a ranger to stay how does that work. Is it best for someone to stay there 24 hours 7 days a week. Or just put stuff in the tents out of site? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If we go away with a group it's usually me who sits there while the rest go off exploring. I like to enjoy the serenity after they all take off. Nothing beats sitting there, in front of the fire, just being quiet.

Leaving your gear out at a camp ground is no more or less risky than doing so at a caravan park. Caravan parks don't keep an eye out for your stuff, you are simply relying on the honesty of fellow campers. Fortunately over the years I have found other campers to be totally honest and can't recall ever having any concerns about having anything pinched. We would usually put stuff in the tent which isn't really secure anyway and put the stove and that sort of thing in the camper trailer and lock it which is reasonably secure.

Whilst other campers don't tend to pinch stuff (in my experience) the same can't be said for bloody Possums, they will try and break into anything to steal your food, you can't be too careful around those little buggers

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

I would be more concerned with theft at a caravan park than I would be in a campground. Caravan parks are normally in town where local passer byes can wander past. We normally put anything of value out of sight if leaving our setup unattended, but have never locked any boxes on our camper trailer.

Don`t usually stay at Caravan Parks or large campgrounds, mainly camp at remote locations. If i wander off i usually secure the more valuable items such as Solar panels & camp chairs. Never had anything taken in the past but when in a remote spot it all too easy for someone to drive up, steal your gear & disappear. If my Solar panels were stolen it would ruin my trip, not just the replacement cost but not having them to use for the rest of the trip.

Mates got one of those Game Cameras & he sets it up near camp, mainly to see what wildlife visits during the night. Quite often it captures vehicles that drive into a camp during the day, have a look around & leave. Not saying they are up to no good, just that you don`t know what goes on at camp when you are not there.
    "I would rather that my bones had been left to bleach in the desert than yielded an inch of ground I had gained at so much expence" - Charles Sturt 1845

Quote Originally Posted by shane_vor View Post
    If we go away with a group it's usually me who sits there while the rest go off exploring. I like to enjoy the serenity after they all take off. Nothing beats sitting there, in front of the fire, just being quiet.
    That's because you're house is attached to your truck! You need one of those detachable houses...
    On days like this I'd rather be west of the Darling!

I agree with Gary. Greater chance of stuff wandering in a caravan park than another location. The more people around the greater the chance of gear going for a walk.
    On days like this I'd rather be west of the Darling!

I have seen many campsites left alone with the luxury of a large dog on a chain.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
    Quite often it captures vehicles that drive into a camp during the day, have a look around & leave.
    That's probably me! I like to go exploring when we're out camping, and sometimes you end up stumbling onto someone else's camp site. Give them a wave, have a quick squiz at the site and mentally bookmark it for later, and head back out again .

Back on topic, my theory is "out of sight, out of mind". I know it doesn't always work like that, but we've always been really lucky.

As the others have said, caravan parks or populated camp spots freak me out. I prefer to camp way out of the way, so that the only other people there are like-minded. I do believe you've got more chance of having things flogged in a caravan park or popular camping spot. A mate of mine was up at Noosa North Shore a few weeks back, and some cheeky buggers stole all the beers out of his esky one night while they slept! I know there was a spate of people loosening/undoing caravan and camper wheel nuts at DI a while back too - caused a lot of grief for a lot of people 5kms down the highway.

Same as Ditch though, I keep things like solar panels and fridges attached to the camper or car with steel rope. It would take 5 seconds with a pair of bolt cutters to get them, but at least someone has to:
    A) be carrying bolt cutters, and
    B) be willing to use them and then walk out carrying said bolt cutters and solar panels without a bag.

If that person does come into your camp, then they're going to take the panels anyway, regardless of what you do. Same as home security - you'r enot going to stop a determined theif, so you just want to make it easier for them to rob your neighbour instead of you.

For everything else, we just hide things out of sight. That way if any kids or casual opportunists come through, they're likely just to walk past and keep going - nothing's in plain view saying "take me!"

At the end of the day, it's a balancing act. I'm happy to admit that we've just been lucky. Hopefully it continues.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Chickens dig panel damage

We don't tend to leave anything too valuable. Mostly we use the "out of sight, out of mind" principle, but if we're not sure about a spot we will pack a few things back in the car that may be easy to run off with if someone was so inclined.