Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Twelvepointfour's Landcruiser 76

I pulled the inlet manifold off the Triton and cleaned out all the carbon. It was a pain of a job (never again), but it really did need it. The actual cleaning went well (brake cleaner and oven cleaner work very well) - it was just the disassembly of everything to get the manifold pieces out that was the problem. Gunk-wise, it was amazingly bad in there. Well worth the effort.

Not sure if it's applicable to the '76, but I have fitted up an electronic module that stops the EGR from opening. It's basically a 10c resistor (that I paid $120 for, because it's in a nice plug-and-play socket that I can easily disconnect) that goes inline with the MAF sensor, tells the ECU that the engine is cold and it prevents it from opening the EGR valve. That works in the Tritons because that sensor line isn't used for anything else (ie, doesnt' affect the running of the engine at all). I imagine there might be something similar for the big cruiser.

I intend to fit a catch can as well, to stop any oil getting into the intake. But in the meantime, keeping the EGR closed means that the intake won't sludge up again. Getting rid of either the EGR or the oil in the intake solves 90% of the problem, but obviously it's better to get rid of them both. There was a concerning amount of oil in my intake, so a catch can is still a very worthwhile investment.

Good luck!!

Cheers,
    Matt
    Chickens dig panel damage

Forum Enthusiast
    Isn't most of the intake carbon issue mainly due to the crankcase ventilation pipe? Hence the need for a catch can.
    To have both solutions is of course ideal.

Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by G&M View Post
    Isn't most of the intake carbon issue mainly due to the crankcase ventilation pipe? Hence the need for a catch can.
    To have both solutions is of course ideal.

Regards
    Geoff
    Combination of the oily crank case gases being recirculated through the manifold, followed by the soot from the exhaust gas recirculation EGR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Combination of the oily crank case gases being recirculated through the manifold, followed by the soot from the exhaust gas recirculation EGR.
    This is my understanding.

With just the oil, it'll eventually get sucked in and burnt by the motor. With just the EGR, the soot will get sucked back into the motor and out the tailpipe. But with both you end up with a sooty, greasy, oily mess that sticks to everything and cakes it all up. You should have seen the inside of my manifold - it was amazing that the car worked at all.

If you fit just a catch-can, then you still have the soot coming through but it doesn't have anything to mix with and stick. That's also the "better" option, since it's the legal one (an EGR valve is part of the emissions-reduction equipment, hence you're not support to tamper with it) and it avoids problems like having the intercooler fill up with oil.

For me, I decided to use the EGR module as a cheap quick fix, then clean the manifold out. Down the track with I can afford a catch-can, I'll add one on. Hopefully the EGR block has kept the intake nice and clean during the intervening time.

Depends on who you ask as to what answer you get, but that's my understanding of it. A mate of mine who owns a similar Triton has done the opposite to me - he's fitted the catch can and hasn't done the EGR close yet.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
    Frank,
    did you lose the whole plastic insert ie parker/blinkers and fog light or only the round ARB fog light?
    I have a spare round fog light buried in the shed somewhere as when I purchased my truck one was cracked and ARB only sold in pairs. the dealer gave me the second one.

Howard
    Hi Howard, lost the entire assembly. It is the passenger side one. If the one you have fits, I am sure we can make some arrangements.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    This is my understanding.

If you fit just a catch-can, then you still have the soot coming through but it doesn't have anything to mix with and stick. That's also the "better" option, since it's the legal one (an EGR valve is part of the emissions-reduction equipment, hence you're not support to tamper with it) and it avoids problems like having the intercooler fill up with oil.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I'll keep this brief so as to not disrupt Gary's thread, I'm of the opinion that blocking/disabling the EGR is the better way, while not legal, it is far better long term at keeping the intake clean.

PCV oil mist has been around since the late 60s/early 70s when it was introduced and I can't think of any time where I've heard of this causing harm to an engine, it's only been an issue since EGR started to mix exhaust with this mist that intakes have started clogging up afaik.

While a catch can helps, it can't collect all the oil, so you will still get clogging of the intake, albeit at a slower rate hopefully, whereas stopping EGR removes the problem entirely. My 2c

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not bogged! It's called 'Strategic Recovery Practice'. twelvepointfour's Avatar
    Well I just picked the cruiser up. I've had a muffler delete pipe put in. By golly it sounds good! I'll put a video up when I get a chance, the GoPro is on charge.
    Chris

Looking forward to the video.

Really? A big diesel v8 with a straight-through exhaust, and it sounds great?

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Video evidence is demanded.

Cheers,
    Matt

I'm not bogged! It's called 'Strategic Recovery Practice'. twelvepointfour's Avatar

Here is the video, I'm not sure how to embed it. Excuse the terrible editing, it's the first time I've done it.

Edit: Maybe it's embedded now
    Last edited by twelvepointfour; 24-11-17 at 10:56 PM.
    Chris