Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Twelvepointfour's Landcruiser 76

I'm not bogged! It's called 'Strategic Recovery Practice'. twelvepointfour's Avatar
    Well the Cruiser is coming along nicely. Getting it ready for Fraser is fun, mainly because I have an excuse to buy things! I've added a Ridge Rider awning, it was on sale at Supercheap and I had $100 credit so seemed like it was meant to be! I got the credit after buying the Ridge Rider by Evacool 42L fridge which was only about $450! Was a good deal in my opinion. It will complement the Waeco I have between the front seats nicely. I made up a little shelf for the fridge to sit on so there wasn't any wasted space in the back, which gave me an excuse to buy a fridge slide! The thing is a cracker. It's so handy having a fridge in the back when shopping.

My dad had an old Uniden 40ch remote face UHF in his wagon so I've pilfered that and installed it in the Cruiser. I bought a GME antenna to run that through, it's either 6 or 6.6db. Seems to work a treat! I'll upgrade to an 80 channel when the finances allow. I've installed the 4wdsupacentre Grande 12000lb winch whit minimal difficulty. I look forward to testing it out haha. There's not a great deal left to do, I've got 4 maxtrax now, up from my previous 2, which is nice.

I managed to get away the other day just for a day trip out to a place called Koorawatha Falls. There's not much 4wding, but there was one steep section which I thought would be a struggle. But a bit of low range and rear locker and she just crawled on up! Not to mention 1st gear low when going DOWN hill, absolutely phenomenal. Couldn't be happier with the 76! Can't wait to see how she performs on the island!!

Some photos!

A bit of a tub today!
    Chris

Instagram for hopefully lots of Fraser trip pics: twelvepointfour

Bitumen! A complete waste of money. mudduck's Avatar
    Looking good Chris
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

Mudduck's 4wd Touring
    2010 200 Series twin turbo V8 Diesel 200kw of screaming Toyota Muscle
    2017 Ford Ranger turbo diesel with some stuff

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Great to see itís coming along Chris. Always exciting times lol
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

I'm not bogged! It's called 'Strategic Recovery Practice'. twelvepointfour's Avatar
    Well it's time for the Cruiser to go. I've decided on, and ordered, a new BT-50 Dual Cab XTR. The trade should be happening next week, once the accessories are fitted up.

I've loved having the Cruiser, but for various reasons it's run its course. I LOVE the sound of the V8 and will miss it dearly, and I also hate the sound of the V8 on the long trips sitting at 100-110kph. The excitement of the loud grunty engine and agricultural nature of the cruiser has worn thin. After test driving the BT today I'm impressed, it picks up incredibly well, significantly better than the Landcruiser and I think much better than my old Dmax as well.

I'll start a build thread (which will probably ultimately be as stale as this one in the end) when it arrives, or perhaps at least when the finance is a go and it's 100% definite, it's at about 99% at the moment.
    Chris

Wow!! Shame to se the 76 go but owning a 200 series and a ranger I can understand your choice. With that said I think the 200 exhaust note is not as feral as the 76/9 ones sound and does not offend at all. Good luck with the BT.

Here's what the 200 sounds like

Cheers Steve. VK2UD

Mudduck's 4wd Touring

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Ohh mate really, can understand your reasoning.
    The BT a lovely choice. Look forward to seeing it develop.
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Ooh Steve that sounds mint. I think the biggest difference would be sound deadening in the 200! There doesn't seem to be enough in the 76. Realistically it's the combination of noise, comfort, fuel use, and even safety. On fuel usage I found myself thinking recently that I've always thought and said "If you're worried about fuel economy, don't own a Landcruiser" and more and more I've been worrying and thinking about it.

Cheers Adam, the decision doesn't come with any positive reactions so far haha, but it is what it is! The BT will be a more family friendly car I think, and that's the stage of life I'm coming into now I guess!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by twelvepointfour View Post
    Ooh Steve that sounds mint. I think the biggest difference would be sound deadening in the 200! There doesn't seem to be enough in the 76. Realistically it's the combination of noise, comfort, fuel use, and even safety. On fuel usage I found myself thinking recently that I've always thought and said "If you're worried about fuel economy, don't own a Landcruiser" and more and more I've been worrying and thinking about it.
    I agree the sound deadening and the 2nd turbo keep it a bit quieter. Just so you know our 3.5t cruiser uses 14.5/100 and my lifter 3.2 ranger on 33s uses 12/100 real world, with that said the ranger is awesome and the BT being the same thing would be too.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

Mudduck's 4wd Touring

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

We have had our BT for over 6 years now and still really enjoy it and it has done its far share of exploring OZ. I can't see us selling it anytime soon
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

How is the BT going mate?
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg