Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Warracknabeal

Forum Newby

Hi from Warracknabeal

Hello guys and girls, my name is Alan or Al, my wife and i enjoy camping and are trying to teach our 2 kids to appreciate what is around them when we are out and about traveling. Our 4wd experiance is limited to mild offroading. We have just purchased a Pajero Sport and we are now towing a Jayco Hawk.

Main reason for joining this forum is we plan to undertake a 4 to 5 week holiday driving up to Darwin checking out around Uluru, Hermansberg, Kings Canyona and Palm Valley. when we get up towards Darwin i would also like to get a look at Kakadu etc. I would like to find out info on what is needed to get to some of thes places.
    How we need to set up the car etc.
    And also finding other places of interest on the way. We arent into serious 4WDing as far as deep ruts and winching yourself out of a hole every 20 mins

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum! I know you'll find a wealth of great info from the members on here... because I certainly have!

We're 4WD tourers who are finally joining the caravan camp as we plan to live on the road for 12 months, starting mid 2018 (yet to purchase the van... but we know what we want!). As far as kitting out the car goes - there's lots of different ways to achieve something that'll work for you, but the best tip I can offer straight up is to watch your weights. No point blowing out your GVM or GCM - not for safety sake nor the potential legal issues.

All the best. Preparing for a trip is great fun... albeit sometimes a bit stressful!

Welcome to the forum Al sounds like a great family opportunity to make some fantastic memories enjoy the planning mate and enjoy the forum
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Follow me on Insta @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom

Is it beer o'clock yet? outback jack's Avatar
    Welcome aboard

EVERYWHERE I GO I BRING HAPPINESS, SOMETIMES ITS WHEN I ARRIVE, BUT ITS USUALLY WHEN I LEAVE

Welcome.

Forum Newby
    Thanks for the welcome.

WElcome to the forum, Alan. I am sure you will find the information you need.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Hello and Welcome

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

You are in a really good spot at Warracknabeal with lots of varying and interesting places to take the Pajero to explore a bit of the country. The Desert parks to your West and North such as Little Desert, Big Desert, Wyperfield and Sunset are great and the Grampians to your South are spectacular as well, but you probably already know that

As for your trip up North, Ayers Rock is as easy as it gets with Bitumen all the way, although you could take a route such as the Oodnadatta track to get up North that is a bit more interesting than the Stuart Highway if time permits. Its been around 10-11 years since we visited Kings Canyon and Hermensberg but both were easily reached but had dirt roads to get there which can vary in condition from month to month and sometimes day to day, but they are maintained roads and should be in reasonable condition. Going into Palm Valley 10 years ago if I recall correctly there are a couple of sandy river crossings, nothing overly difficult but if in doubt lower tyre pressures is all that you should need for those, and a bit of light fairly mild rock crawling right at the end, once again nothing that should cause the Pajero even the slightest issue.

I can't help with around the Darwin as still trying to get up that way myself

have a look through the trip reports section for some inspiration and information and feel free to ask more specific questions and I am sure people will try and help you out.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Hey Alan - welcome.

I have always wanted to visit Warracknabeal. What is it like living there?
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...