Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick High Country get away.

Quick High Country get away.

With day to day life with growing kids taking over and the camping trips getting further and further apart, junior footy has come to an end so it was time to have a quick get away with a mate to the High Country before cricket takes over our lives for summer.

We both managed to score an RDO on the friday, I dropped the kids off to school and then we were off. We decided to bypass Yea and find the Cheviot tunnel, I had wanted to stop here for years but was always in a rush either coming or going from a short break. We found the tunnel no worries and walked the length of it, was pretty impressive, would have been great to drive through or atleast drive up to and get a photo of the cars with the tunnel but oh well. After the quick stop we were off again, we were hoping to get to the new Mt Terrible Hut by early afternoon where we would try and spend the night. However by the time we got there it was already taken, apparently there was an unofficial opening of the hut the following day and they were expecting 60 odd people. We had a bit of chat as the guys seemed very knowledgeable about the area. They suggested we could keep heading down Mt Terrible track towards Matlock. We would find another hut along the way, they did warn us it was a pretty dodgy hut. Well that was an understatement, I had seen this hut years ago on a snow trip with Kev but had never thought about staying in it. But hey it will keep the swags dry so all good.
    We got some wood, got the fire going and set in for the night. Oh and we found some ok patches of snow along the way

Inside the Cheviott tunnel just outside of Yea.

view of Mt Buller from Mt Terrible hut.

The next morning we were both up pretty early, had the mandatory bacon and egg breakfast before starting to pack up ready to hit the road again. By the time we were packed up a group of hunters arrived so we had a chat to them about some of the local tracks and their conditions. We didn't really have a plan today so we decided to head for Matlock to see if there was any more snow. We did find some patches along the way but not much actually at Matlock, just a torn up mountain top :_(
    From Matlock we headed down into Big River, had some lunch before heading North to explore some more huts we had seen on the maps. Big River was a bit of a surprise for me, I had always just dismissed it as somewhere young hoons or dirt bikers go, there was some pretty decent tracks and some nice climbs. We ended up at a nice little hut mid afternoon, the weather forecast was not great and we had already been driving for close to 8 hours so we decided to pull the pin and set up at the hut. The hut had LOTS of firewood already cut and undercover. So we ventured inside and got a fire going just before a storm hit. So it was time to sit inside with a few beers, some magazines, and nice fire.

Sunday morning we were once again up early, had a quick breakfast and then hit the road to home. Being fathers day I had promised to be home by lunchtime....The wind on the drive back was shocking and the litter and trees down on the Reefton spur made it a bit of a hairy trip. But luckily there was nothing too serious to hold me up. I washed the car on the way home too and still made it by 10:30.....and to my surprise no one was home. Hahahaha

I really enjoyed the trip and now really want to try and get alot more small trips away again. I even went an bought another swag today so that I can go away with just 1 of the kids at a time as the Mrs cannot stand the cold weather so it rules out family trips until later in the year. Thanks for reading guys, hopefully I can get out with a few more trips and reports soon

Sounds like a great weekend Dave! Nice pics too.

Nice one Dave! Great trip and report.

I might have to get some tracks names off you around big River.

Prado is looking good too!
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

For all the years I spent driving through Yea, I really, really wish I'd known about that tunnel! It looks like a photographer's dream. Will definitely have to explore around there one day.

Looks like a great little get-away. Very jealous!

For all my years living in Victoria (and then going home to visit a lot after that), its an area I never really explored and really regret that! I can't wait to head back down there one day and experience it all... Though the QLD climate has made me soft, so I may choose a time of year with a little less snow around.

Good trip report man with two names.

The new Mt Terrible hut looks very impressive and well done to all that put in the hard work building it. Hopefull this one remains. I wanted to check it out Queens Birthday weekend alas did not eventuate.

To me it's a pitty you can't drive the tunnel anymore, just for cyclist and pedestrians now. It was one of those bucket list things in the day the kids would have loved it. I did.

Glad you found 16 mile hut yet to check it out myself, same weekend as Mt Terrible did not get there. So close but yet so far.

There are a lot of good camp sites around BIG RIVER, just avoid weekends if you can?

Glad you had some good time away.

May catch up with you on the tracks?

Look out for the SILVER TRITON (ARB LOCKER GOES IN NEXT WEEK)and still has red FIRELINE 4x4 stickers on it as in a tribute to a great group of people.

I won't be keeping an eye out for the PATROL but now the WHITE PRADO.

Some great info for our vhc trip next year
    ==================
    Cheers.....
    RobM

Family Touring - 150's GXL D4D Prado....
    Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover Discovery TDi (A).....Work & Play.... maybe
    Un-expected Recent Purchase : '96 Landrover DEFENDER 110 TDi....Future Tourer???
    See My Exploring Trips here: My Exploring/Touring Trips
    Playing : The "Toy" Suzuki Vitara - Now retired

Wow looks beautiful up there
    Nice report
    Love the black rims on white prado, thinking of doing it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleandy View Post
    Wow looks beautiful up there
    Nice report
    Love the black rims on white prado, thinking of doing it myself.
    They are still the standard alloys mate, just took them off and sprayed them with Plasti-Dip. Has held up really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lost View Post
    Good trip report man with two names.

The new Mt Terrible hut looks very impressive and well done to all that put in the hard work building it. Hopefull this one remains. I wanted to check it out Queens Birthday weekend alas did not eventuate.

To me it's a pitty you can't drive the tunnel anymore, just for cyclist and pedestrians now. It was one of those bucket list things in the day the kids would have loved it. I did.

Glad you found 16 mile hut yet to check it out myself, same weekend as Mt Terrible did not get there. So close but yet so far.

There are a lot of good camp sites around BIG RIVER, just avoid weekends if you can?

Glad you had some good time away.

May catch up with you on the tracks?

Look out for the SILVER TRITON (ARB LOCKER GOES IN NEXT WEEK)and still has red FIRELINE 4x4 stickers on it as in a tribute to a great group of people.

I won't be keeping an eye out for the PATROL but now the WHITE PRADO.

Yep would be good to catch up again Laurie. I was messaging Nick the other day and he said the same, would be good to get some of the old fireline crew on another weekend away

Hey Dave, just checked out this report from my PC (instead of mobile). You take a quality photo!
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...