Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off to Cameron's Corner,

Quote Originally Posted by ANT View Post
    Ok, so I've been quiet for far too long (see busy with non fun stuff) so finally getting a chance to do some longer trips.

The plan is to head out to Cameron's Corner in the September school holidays with just me and the young bloke for a "boys" trip.

I'm trying to pick the most adventurous route from Sydney/ South Coast but only have 6 days for the round trip. Am I cutting it too fine for time?

Any tips and ideas.

ANT
    You will have a ball the country changes so much two things I would recommend is a night at piliga bore baths and when you leave the corner travel the section of dog fence that you are still allowed heaps of gates but interesting

Poetry on a Plate at Bourke is also really worth it. Great food, a good way to spend a night. Try to make sure you're in town on one of the nights it happens.

One of these days I will finish the last blog post from our trip through this area! LOL!

Thanks Ditch,

Think I'll start a list of POI's. I expect Bourke to be day 2 and we'll want a break so will check out Gundabooka NP.

Pilliga Bore Baths now on the POI list but I've not heard of it before so will do some research. (Edit my own posts! We'll be coming up from Cobar to Bourke and I see Pilliga Bore well East so we'll probably miss it.)

Trinity I'm not sure about staying a night in or near Bourke. Had a very bad experience there several decades ago. Hopefully things have changed.
    Last edited by ANT; 25-08-17 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ANT View Post
    Trinity I'm not sure about staying a night in or near Bourke. Had a very bad experience there several decades ago. Hopefully things have changed.
    Honestly, driving through town I had the same thoughts and wanted to high tail it out of there pretty quick! However we stayed at Kidman's Camp Caravan Park which is outside of Bourke and where the Poetry on a Plate event is held. We felt safe at the caravan park and it was super busy with other travellers. If you are staying in the area I'd recommend that spot, even if it is/was crazy busy (which we'd usually prefer to avoid!).

Poetry on a Plate was one of the highlights of our trip. There were people there of all ages - families with kids, lots of grey nomads... We all had a laugh, a good feed, and enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks Trinity, I checked out their website and the place does seem pretty good. The Poetry nights are Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. We might be around that way on Thursday 28 so will keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
    If you are going through Bourke, the Aboriginal Rock Art in Gundabooka National Park is worth a look.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/...-national-park
    I will second that, we were there 3 weeks ago. Its an easy walk to an unexpected gorge with paintings on the roof of a cave. Gundabooka is a very stark contrast to the Darling river and surrounds just North, well worth the visit.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Ok so Gundabooka is definitely on the list.

I am pretty sure you are a hiker ANT, there are a couple of other walks at Gundabooka that we didn't do, might be worth you checking them out as well if you have the time.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Whilst a bit of a hike around the sites would be nice time and a 12yr old are conspiring against me.

However, I am thinking if I reverse the route and go out via Cobar and routes more West and come back to Bourke from the North. That way any time I have up my sleeve can be used to explore around Bourke.

Keen for any more ideas on things to do and see.
    Last edited by ANT; 18-09-17 at 07:40 PM.

Ok so the plans are afoot,

-Car is all serviced.
    -Camp cooking / kitchen has been pulled out of the shed and cleaned and updated. Going for a lightweight option so no more heavy pots and pans and no camp oven that I never use. All the excess stuff that never gets used is gone. Also the wooden tucker box and camp kitchen I made 10 years ago have been replaced with HD plastic containers.
    -The old heavy camp chairs have been replaced with Helinox lightweight ones.
    -Won't be taking a tent just stretchers (cheap version of the Bunker type stretcher tents) under the awning.
    -Only things on the roof are long handled shovel and awning.
    -Food planning is still ongoing.
    -Of course the WAECO thermostat went last week so that had to be fixed ($110)

The Route:
    Home
    Hillston
    Bourke
    Hungerford
    Moombidary
    Thargomindah
    Bulloo Downs
    Four Mile Well
    Warri Gate
    Sturt Nation Park / Fort Grey / Cameron Corner
    White Cliffs
    Paroo Darling National Park
    Yallock
    Hillston
    Home

No set timings just leave on 27 Sep and get home NLT 8 Oct.

So what have I missed???