Thread: Little Desert

Little Desert

Hi all,
    Just wondering who has adventured to little desert before? Looking at possibly heading there in a few weeks. The plan at this stage would be to leave home (Montrose) early Friday morning, its about a 5-5.5 hour drive to little desert. We would then spend the afternoon looking around before finding camp. Saturday would be full day of touring again setting up camp. Then Sunday would be heading back home. My main question is, is Little desert big enough for this, are there enough tracks to explore? Any suggestions on where to camp and what to see?

Cheers guys

Hi Dave,

Its a great spot up there, if youve done any research on the Parks website i think they often say "desert in name only". The Wimmera river runs through the eastern block, has a couple of Parks campgrounds near Dimboola, fees apply still i believe. Bush camping i think is still allowed in other areas, there is another camp ground called Kiata though too, could be in the central block, a little further west. Good open, flat area, toilets, fireplaces from memory.There are plenty of tracks, ranging from gravel, sand, deep sand, clay-ish. This time of year it is probably going to be easy going in the sand, summer can be diffferent. The McDonald "Highway" i think its called, cuts across the centre in parts has some bigger muddy holes but nothing you cant go around. The very western border section with SA has some more muddier sections too come to think of it. Some tracks can be slow going/bumpy so its not like youll zip acrsoss from one side to another.
    Anything else?

Cheers
    Slug

Forum Enthusiast
    Check out the Little Desert Lodge for info about the area too.

https://www.facebook.com/littledesertnaturelodge/
    Robert.
    FZJ105r with Tvan pushing.

We did a little trip through Little Desert earlier this year, I wrote a bit of a trip report here http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...-and-Soft-Sand

I would say you will have no worries finding enough tracks to drive, there are lots, a lot more than marked on our Hema map.

We camped in a random spot on the side of one track the night we spent there, we discovered a nice campground the following day and the picture below shows the location of that campground marked with the flag. I am sure there are others but his was a nice remote spot next to a water hole. I think there are pictures in my trip report.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Cheers guys will check it out.

Have a good one man with no name

No help. I have always passed it on the way to the BORDER TRK. I have heard good things about the area. On the must do list at some stage?

Have a good one if you get there and look forward to a trip report mate

Hi guys im from dimboola vic just next to little desert any info i can help you with please ask weather today is cold wet and miserable day but that can be a advantage for any one wanting to visit little dessert national park dimboola caravan park is open and quiet a few 4x4 visitors in town last few day so come visit and remember ask if if i can help it would be my pleasure steve dimbboola local

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hey Steve, good to know. Have you participated in the Jeparit Fishing Comp or do much fishing on the Wimmera?
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Hello HARP LOL NO MATE IM NOT REALLY A FRESHWATER FISHER IM ORIGINALLY FROM THE SOUTH COAST NSW ( TOWN CALL BERMAGUI NSW) and iv been with a mate to jerparit fish comp but i love ocean fish wimmera river here is great spot 4 fishers and iv got a few mates who love the wimmera river my last fish i caught was 90kg tuna of continental shelf lol but i love dimbbola now that i got 4x4 its off to explore little desert when im going ok and lol the suns shinning a bit more from DIMBOOLA steve

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk