Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just starting out....

Hello and welcome,

I would agree with Cruiser105Tvan in regards to 4wd treks close to Melbourne. Most are pretty easy drives and would cover tracks that i would mention in regards to your X TRAIL.

You can also, maybe look at doing a 4wd course, if time and money permit? You maybe surprised what the X TRAIL can do and yourself. There is one in the WERRIBEE REGION.

I could post you the details

Forum Newby
    Thanks for the information. As soon as we have heard something about our house, we can go for a drive and have a look.

The next issue is what 4x4 work ute to buy? It has to be a crewcab, with a canopy on the back for my tools and gear. My budget is 10,000 bucks (i know...)
    been looking at mitsubishi triton, toyota hilux, and the great wall v200 (more groaning i know).
    I would idealy like a diesel, as the petrol models you have seem to drink juice at a rapid rate, and i need to drive from wyndham vale to the cbd and back every day.

I know the budget is crap, but we are starting again, so with already buying a car, a house, etc etc it is a bit tight.

I owned a hiace van for 12 years in the uk from new, and it never ever had any issues, apart from tyres and brakes. Are toyotas here the same??

Welcome to the forum, Whopper!

My advice? From all I've heard, avoid the Great Wall. Just not worth the savings... But I've got no personal experience there, and someone more in the know may be able to chip in.

I'd be thinking possibly a Hilux with your budget...? Hm, BT50's seem to be getting more popular. An Amarok might be a little over budget. I'm sure others will have better recommendations! ...Ford Ranger... if you're lucky to get one that's decent in that price range?

As for trips your X-Trail can do, there's plenty of great places to see in Vic without even leaving the bitumen! If you like a bit of hiking as well as scenic drives - without anything technical - take a look at the Grampians, Daylesford, the Yarra Valley and surrounding mountains (Dandenongs, Mt. Donna Buang, etc.), Marysville, and more. Plenty to see without even getting the wheels dirty... so no risk of getting bogged!

There's a bit of forest/national park between Rushworth and Heathcote that might be worth a look if you want unsealed roads/tracks and camping spots. What little of it I've done (as short-cuts to other places, LOL!) wasn't technical, but there might be other tracks to watch out for... Not sure. Whroo Forest, Heathcote-Graytown NP, etc.

Good luck!

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Whopper!

My advice? From all I've heard, avoid the Great Wall.
    Avoid the Great Wall ! you cut me to the quick

But seriously ,as much fun as I've had with my Chinese car there are better things out there
    Don't discount your xtrail, there is a few clips on YouTube in some pretty hard stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jacnden View Post
    :
    Avoid the Great Wall ! you cut me to the quick

But seriously ,as much fun as I've had with my Chinese car there are better things out there
    Don't discount your xtrail, there is a few clips on YouTube in some pretty hard stuff
    Good job for getting out there with one! I have just heard bad stories and people hating on them (LOL), so good to see someone who's had a bit of fun with one! No hard feelings, I hope!

One of our mates had a lot of fun in an X-Trail. We had a little less fun towing him off the beach one time, though...

Forum Newby
    That Great Wall looks great!!!! I've seen plenty of Navaras for my budget with the canopies, snorkels, big wheels and bars. All round the 250-300,000 km mark with a 3 litre diesel.
    I've also tried to get hold of boiling billies book, but it seems to be as rare as rocking horse sh*t. Will get on the internet and order a copy.

Cheers

Ste

those x trails do go allright offroad, just need to know there limits. sssshhhhhh the wife has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    No hard feelings, I hope!
    ��All good