Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Good quality full length thermals I reckon. I've never camped above the snowline though.
    Got that packed. I usually pack these for most camping trips - just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    Here ya go Harps, some tips when camping in the snow.

http://www.lumc.org.au/snow-camping-tips
    Thanks Redback, some helpful tips and wasn't aware that the water tablets are less effective in the cold. Also placing raincoat and pants under the matt as an extra is a good idea if i get desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Never camped in snow before, but I can see how what ANT says about making sure you're dry is essential. I also second the beanie suggestion - I've camped in some very cold places and a beanie helps immensely! I often will have thermals and layer winter pyjamas/tracksuit/whatever over the top if its really cold.
    I often wear a beanie to bed even in the warmer months. I do agree that you loose alot of heat through your head, especially when it exposed out of the sleeping back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks View Post
    Insulation is the important thing.
    Under the swag I'd put some of those foam floor 'tiles' you see in camping stores or Big W, the ones that lock together like a very boring jigsaw (or a yoga mat, they were softer and cheaper last time I was in there). They just lift you up that little bit so when the swag foam crushes down you aren't on the ground. Its only 10mm, but makes a difference.

A good cold weather sleeping bag that has a baffle you can pull tight around your neck and also use the hood. Some don't like the hood, and find it a bit claustrophobic, so use the beanie as well.

Take an old doona, lay it over the sleeping bag and tuck it in around the sides. The canvas of the swag will stop the wind and keep some warmth in too, so you should be warm as toast.

As for you, Layers.
    Thermals, T shirt, long shirt, jumper and a wind proof jacket. Wear the beanie too. If you have a neck sock/scarf, wear that as well. You can always take layers off or add them.
    Jeans aren't the best option as the cotton isn't that warm. Thermals under jeans are highly recommended, trackie dacks are a better option.

When you go to bed, take off some layers. It will allow you to warm up the bed quicker and won't make you feel too restricted. You will often feel warmer in bed too.
    I have packed those foam tiles. They seem like a good insulator. I was planning on putting a tarp under the swag. Then the foam cells and space blanket in the swag. What do you think?

I have a good rated sleeping bag. It kept me warm when i did the Overland track. I plan on taking a second one to use as a blanket.

I will be taking my buff (think scarf) to help keen my face and neck warm.

I usually start with several layers and then take them off as I warm up. Let's hope that is the case this weekend too!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lost View Post
    Mate last time i camped in the snow, was just out of MANSFIELD two years ago doing a rolling camp to different places. Unfortunatley in the rush to meet the others, i forgot my sleeping bag

Had my,swag ,thermals top and bottom/beanie/gloves change of clothes etc. In case things got wet. A mate lent me a blanket/picnic rug and i used the silver bubble wrap windscreen protector under the mattress in the swag/improvised and survied.

Clothes do hold moisture after a day out and can contribute to the chill factor. Best if you can change into fresh stuff but not always convenient before bed, when camping. Awning or tarp is the go. I like a tarp with a small fire to keep warm.

You will be right. I survied and had a great weekend, just don't forget the sleeping bag
    Forgot your sleeping back!! Major fail. You did well to survive! I will be using dry clothes when going to bed, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    A tarp or space blanket is a good idea, prevents water rising as well, depending on where the swag is put. I always use a closed cell foam sleeping mat, the best form of insulation I've tried camping. Usually my swag is up on a stretcher, so the mat is very good for the cold air rising from underneath. In very cold weather(-5 etc) I also run a woollen blanket doubled up under the sleeping bag. I have tried a secong bag as a blanket on top, but after finding a very large bag with a good rating I don't worry anymore. Some bags are rated very poorly as well- normally three ratings, 1 for women comfortable, 2 for men comfortable, 3 for 'should survive, but will be still chilly'.
    When camping in igloos I used a space blanket, then closed mat, then a very very good quality bag -15 rating mummy style.
    Never bothered with too many clothes when in bed, though a beanie is handy without a hooded sleeping bag.
    I read about the closed cell foam. Seems similiar to the foam squares mentioned above. However less bulky. Bulky doesn't matter this time as we are camping with the 4wd. I might back a blanket too just in case.

You camped in an igloo??? Wow.

With all this gear and prep, I better be warm!! In any case, I am looking forward to getting away this weekend.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Sometimes less clothes keeps more warmth in the good subzero rated sleeping bags. I keep my clothes for the next day at the bottom near my feet so that they are toasty and warm to put on the next day. Check the 'comfort' rating vs the actual rating on your sleeping bag. There is a big difference one of my sleeping bags was rated to 0 but only comfort rated to 5 basically you wont die from hypothermia at the limit of its rating but you also will lie awake shivering.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by couscousjay View Post
    Sometimes less clothes keeps more warmth in the good subzero rated sleeping bags. I keep my clothes for the next day at the bottom near my feet so that they are toasty and warm to put on the next day. Check the 'comfort' rating vs the actual rating on your sleeping bag. There is a big difference one of my sleeping bags was rated to 0 but only comfort rated to 5 basically you wont die from hypothermia at the limit of its rating but you also will lie awake shivering.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good idea with the clothes. Changing in the cold is not fun at the best of times.

I am definitely aware of the different types of rating. I've got a good cold rated bag. I actually have 5 sleeping bags which is kinda excessive.

Well I survived.

There actually wasn't much snow around this week. However overnight temps dropped below zero. We measured it -4 degrees. It was quite funny, my mate's dog bowl was frozen hard. When he replaced the water you could see it begin to freeze again!

Anyway this is what I went with and it worked:

Those foam square mats from bunnings under the swag. Blanket on the mattress. Then sleeping bag on top of that. Thermals top and bottom. Socks for a short time until I warmed up. Beanie. I had the car awning over the swag.

My only issue was the back of my neck felt cold. So I wore my buff.

This worked well. I didnt feel cold at all and slept well. Nothing to over the top. I did have space blanket, extra sleeping bag and more clothes in reserve.

I keep all my clothes in the car or in the swag to keep them less cold for a morning clothes change.

I have never worn thermal pants before. Although I usually pack them. These were great to wear under long pants early in the morning.

Thanks again for all the help.

Glad you survived.

Mate i remember many years ago. Camping with the wife and the children at a young age in the FLINDERS RANGES. Driving down a dry creek bed to a hut that we could not use. Anyhow we pitched tent, woke in the morning. Only to find our water was frozen and the "TOOTH" paste. True story, yet to strike similar in the high country/VIC with snow!