Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Toy - Suzuki Jimny Sierra

Cool My New Toy - Suzuki Jimny Sierra

I was definitely feeling the need for a change. My daily drive has been an XR6 trayback ute for a while now. I've loved it, but it was time to move on... We have the Patrol, but that's always been my husband's car.

Yep. I bought a Jimny!

Its a 2009 model Jimny Sierra. I was hoping to get a little inspiration from the "cheap, fun 4WD" thread I started a while ago, and looked into these little cars after they were suggested.

The car came with an ARB bullbar, Warn winch, roof racks, ARB compressor and rear locker. Otherwise its completely stock. It was incredibly low Km's for the age which is a bonus.

So far I'm really enjoying the change. I wanted a little "project car" I could customise and kit out myself (usually that's my husband's domain, but this car is mine! He can keep his hands off, LOL!), and to do more off road driving myself.

Shopping list for the near future is new tyres (going with BFGoodrich mud terrain KM2's in a slightly bigger size for a little more clearance - getting fitted tomorrow), re-powdercoat the bullbar (it was parked in the weather for a while), install a second battery (have to go for a gel battery inside the car under the driver's seat - won't fit under the bonnet because of the location of the compressor and the ABS), and a lift kit (need to look into this a bit more, but have a bit of an idea of what I'll go for that'll improve the ride and off-road performance while still keeping it legal).

I really would appreciate some tips from past or present Jimny owners. Like I said, this little car is my project and I'm keen to fit it out to be a really fun, capable little car. I'm pretty novice at this stuff - my husband took care of all the mods for the Patrol as its his car, but this car is my opportunity to learn and get my hands dirty.
    Last edited by Trinity; 24-07-17 at 12:38 PM.

Seriously Hooked
    What a great little fun 4by.

Sweet!

With a Winch, rear locker, muddies and a lift that thing is going to get you a very long way

Looking forward to the action shots.

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

After two Suzuki Sierras the thing I learnt most was how to pack small and lightweight. Other than that it was all fun.

Congrats! I loved my Jimny and was continually surprised by how far it went off road.

Congratulations. Great toy!
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty stoked about it. There are moments I definitely miss the size of the engine I had in my XR6... but this little car will give me a lot of joy.

I can't wait to get it off road and show some of the haters that it is a very capable little car! I have been some pretty decent jokes thrown my way from family (granted, who never drive off road), such as "the number-plate and the windscreen are nearly the same size!" or "your dog could tow it!".

Now, to learn about shocks and what size springs/shocks I can put in yet still keep it at the legal 2" lift... Hm. Leaning towards Dobinson springs, but not sure on shocks at all, and no idea really on sizes!

I had a 2 inch lift in my jimny and was told i wouldnt need caster correction bushes so i didnt put any in. The thing was horrendous to drive untill i did. The front diff without them was quite noticeably tilted forward. A steering dampner helped considerably also. The lift made for a choppy ride
    due to shortning the wheel base. Also the slighly bigger tyres affected the gearing to the ectent it was hard to maintain 100kmh on the highway. Apart from those points it was a fantastic w ork car and weekend play toy.
    Why fish for bream ,when i can camp and chase cod!!:

very nice you will have fun in that

Nice buy and great set of mods done already.

The Jimny is a fun little car. Curious to know if you also looked at the sierras? They are getting quite expensive, given their age... But seem to be lots of fun.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...