Thread: Coleman Folding Camp Oven Review/Feedback

Coleman Folding Camp Oven Review/Feedback

We recently picked up one of the Coleman folding camp ovens on Gumtree and thought we'd give it a whirl. Space and weight aren't really allowing us to get a cast iron camp oven just yet (working on it!) so we thought this option would be a good alternative for now - it folds down flat and is very lightweight.

I thought I'd add some notes here about our experience in case anyone else is looking at getting one, as I could find little honest feedback when I was researching them (some people had them but had never used them - that was the common answer I got... if people owned them at all!).

How we had it set up

We set out to make scones. My "recipe" is reliable - I've been making scones from memory for so long now I could make them in my sleep, and the recipe never fails thus I thought it made a good tester.

We preheated the oven and didn't really struggle to get it to temp (roughly 200C). The resulting cook suggests that the temp gauge is somewhat accurate, as far as you can expect with a unit like this that is completely non-insulated! Quickly whipped the scones in to avoid losing too much heat, and fiddled with the gas as needed (minimal but did require a close eye) to ensure the temp stayed pretty stable.

Scones cooked to time - checked 3 minutes before expecting them to be done and they did require the extra 3 minutes.

For a quick throw-together camp cook, they look alright

They browned the way they should, texture was right... except for the bottoms. The bottoms JUST burnt. I honestly expected worse, as the oven sits directly over the gas and just has a flimsy piece of sheet metal at the bottom. I had put them on the top rack position expecting this issue, but it didn't stop them from burning. I was actually impressed that they browned as evenly as they did on top - the tray was off to one side because the stove wasn't quite level.

We're going to try a ceramic tile or pizza stone in the bottom of the oven next time to help diffuse the heat a bit better. Any other ideas... or advice from someone else who has used these ovens before?

Overall I was a little shocked the scones turned out as well as they did at all. They were edible - even nice, if you cut off the bottom. I had honestly expected a charred mess, so it far outperformed my expectations and will be getting at least a second go!

try putting the scones on a trivet that will help with the burning

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The tray the scones were in was on the top rack of the oven, allowing the most room for air between the bottom of the oven and the base of the tray (ie. comparable to your Weber set up with the convection tray with a trivet on top then the tray you'd bake something in - which I have done before with scones in a tray like this without burning them). Scones themselves are too doughy to put on a trivet if you mean to put a trivet in the tray and scones on top of the trivet...?

I saw these at a show recently and thought it was a bit gimmicky, clearly they work...but I've burnt scones in a cast iron oven!

Quote Originally Posted by shane_vor View Post
    I saw these at a show recently and thought it was a bit gimmicky, clearly they work...but I've burnt scones in a cast iron oven!
    I thought they were going to be rubbish, too, to be honest. Now I'm finding myself eating my words! Like any new cooking "tool" (particularly camping ones) I guess they just take some getting used to and adapting to your own individual needs.

Does it fold flat Trinity?

I use in my camp oven one that has heaps of holes in it
    it seems to take the heat away from the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Does it fold flat Trinity?
    It does. That was the big draw card for us in buying one. Packed away size in its box is roughly 40cm x 40cm x 5cm at a guess (I think the internal dimensions of the oven are roughly 30cm) and it is quite light.