Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turon River, by mistake

Forum Enthusiast

Turon River, by mistake

Earlier this week a plan was hatched to run out to Bathurst and camp at Ben Chifley Dam. Well just as quickly as the emails started going back and forth I had the truck packed. The missus wanted in so it was a roof top tent trip. Unfortunately due to impending inclement weather there were some cancellations. A bit of water never bothered me so we were off Saturday morning. Travelling along the Great Western Highway there were warning signs advising of road closures and detours...

Given that the detours took us somewhere that we would have camped normally anyway, a decision was made on the fly over Zinger burgers to head out to Turon instead. We travelled down to the Turon River to check out the campground there. Given the recent wet weather I expected the river to be right up and the place deserted. Unfortunately neither was the case and although the place wasn't packed, there were way too many people for my liking. I thought maybe the Turon Gates place might be less crowded given that you have to pay to stay there...I was wrong again, bugger! The place was a bit crowded but we managed to secrete ourselves down on the river away from everyone. Turns out the place was much quieter than other areas I've stayed and on Sunday everybody left! The missus reckons it might have been my snoring!

Our spot was within spitting distance of the water, literally and not long after setting up camp I had a little fire roaring (with the assistance of Mr Diesel due to the wet timber I carried out there!).

Having the place to ourselves Sunday afternoon/night was tops. Flushing loos, hot showers...camping luxury! That night we had a nice feed of scotch fillet steak and some left over vegies. The wife couldn't finish hers and within minutes a kookaburra-type dropped in and swiped it. Spent the next half hour or so watching him smash the steak against the log trying to break it up. I had popcorn for desert and loved that, never done it before at camp, I know small things etc.!

On the way out Monday morning, the plan was to go into Bathurst via Limekilns because, due to poor planning I needed to visit a homebrew shop for some supplies. That done and a stop for coffee at Crema decided to pop out to Ben Chifley Dam to see if it was any good. The jury's out on that one, not a fan of being 'locked in' overnight!

Travelled back across the mountain via O'Connell and Lake Lyall to check out more potential spots.

As for that inclement weather? Didn't come near us, couldn't have wished for better weather! Don't rely on the BOM!!!

I would recommend Turon Gates to those who need amenities and don't mind some other people being around. The amenities block is pretty good and better than some van parks I've stayed in. Turon River is also pretty good for a free camp but both are best mid-week, for my liking anyway!

Lake Lyall looked good from the road, but they wanted to charge me 5 bucks just go in in and have a look...maybe next time

So that's another 'shake down' trip done and dusted prior to our Simpson run...I wonder how many more shakedowns I can get away with?
    Last edited by shane_vor; 27-03-17 at 09:36 PM.

Great report Shane, I haven't been to the Turon for some years now and I have some fond memories.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Sounds like you had a good couple of day Shane, the Turon area is a great place to visit.
    There are some goods spots around the Coxs River East of Hampton, that would be my personal pick anyway, a little more secluded.
    Taking the road less traveled
    https://instagram.com/artheserenity

Forum Enthusiast
    Good report.
    Yes never NOT go where you planned because the road might be too rough or the weather not good ☔

Seriously Hooked
    I've never been to Turon River, but am very keen now.

We went to Chifley Dam on Friday arvo. The access gate to the camp area is prior to the main gates that they lock each night. If you needed access to Bathurst, but wanted to camp close by it would be good, didn't appear to be much else to do though.

Have you changed your mob No.? I tried ringing and texting on Saturday but couldn't get you...
    On days like this I'd rather be west of the Darling!

Forum Enthusiast
    The only gates I saw were before the access gates to the camping area...maybe I should have had my goggles on! Toilets, lectric bbqs, apart from the gates the place'd be okay. There was one bloke there with a camper trailer (but folded up). The place would be tops if you could camp close to the water for swimming. Looking at the size of it I reckon it'd get busy with skiers when warm! Mobile's the same battery was flat after work on Friday and I was using the car charger for the navigating tablet.
    I also got to use the Silky saw to clear the track at Turon...gotta love those things

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I've never been to Turon River, but am very keen now.
    Hi Gary, let me know if you are planning a trip there, we would be eager to tag along.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

What was the cost at Turon?

So the Huskawang chainsaw is to be retired?
    On days like this I'd rather be west of the Darling!

Turon NP and gates utter serenity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better