Thread: Emergency or "Grab and Go" Bag ideas

Emergency or "Grab and Go" Bag ideas

Planning for our big trip later this year I thought it might be an idea to have an emergency "grab and go" backpack in the car in case of the unexpected - vehicle fire, even hiking away from the car somewhere remote, etc.

Basically I wanted to put together a shortlist of essentials - very basic first aid supplies, emergency communication, food/water, etc. - that would be potentially life-saving if required, but not weigh down a whole pack. We have a decent first aid kit in the car, but this bag is just for the unexpected events when not near the vehicle.

So far on the list I've got:
    - Satellite phone and/or PLB
    - Our mobile phones and wallets (ID, money)
    - First aid supplies (very basic - bandage for snake bite/other, bandaids, ibuprofen, couple saline ampules, few swabs, instant hot/cold packs, first aid guide book)
    - Food (eg. Cliff bars - compact but decent nutritional content), water
    - Emergency ponchos
    - Emergency "blankets" (those tiny fold-up plastic foil ones)

Can anyone else think of anything to add? Obviously I don't want to go overkill - bare essentials only, but it could make a huge difference in an emergency... well that's the hope.

You'd probably want 2 bags.

1 would have your 'in use' items, if it is too big, then finding stuff at the bottom becomes a pain and short trips away from the vehicle have you lugging a bag that is heavy and inconvenient. Largish handbag sized would be probably a good size, you can chuck the camera, keys, purse, mobile and wallet in it and leave the vehicle for short stops.

2, I'd go with a quality 20-30L daypack with multiple pockets and compression straps on the sides. In that pack some water, first aid kit PLB, sat phone in a side pouch (and on charge) and a some compact, but warm clothes. You can always open this one out and shove the handbag contents in it, but its harder to go the other way.

If you shove it behind a seat in car and make sure it stays there, then if things go pear shaped, it is easy to grab and throw clear while you grab lower priority items.

I have a SOG Tactical daypack that I use a lot, its military grade and cavernous when fully expanded, but the compression straps squish it down so it doesn't bounce around when walking. It sits behind the seat and has my first aid kit, phone chargers, cables, medications and laptop (I'd be lost without that) in it when traveling.
    The only downside is that it has too many zips and pouches, so I forget where I have stashed stuff.
    Last edited by Hoyks; 25-03-17 at 02:00 PM.

Hats and spare car keys, compass, pen or pencil and paper.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Fire lighter/flint
    Mirror
    Spare glasses 👀

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hoyks, where do you get the military spec bags?

I got mine at the Base Exchange at Nellis AFB, a bit had for most to get to though;-).

You can get the SOG gear through Amazon, not sure how the exchange rate and shipping will gouge you though. https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty.../dp/B00XPV44MQ

There are other options though, camping and hiking stores have some good gear these days (not BCF, its just a glorified fishing shop), look for something that has reinforced corners and straps attachment points.

Some other options:
    https://www.militaryshop.com.au/cata...ort_by=0&ipp=0
    http://www.legear.com.au/carry/
    http://www.extac.com.au/backpacks_s/175.htm
    http://voodootactical.com.au/product-category/packs/

There's a camping shop near the Army Base in Brisbane that does sell some military gear if anyone happens to want something like that in this area...

I hadn't thought of some way to light a fire... thanks to those people who mentioned that in some form!

I also forgot to add we'll have a multi-tool (Leatherman knock off) as well. Never know when those things might come in handy...

One other thing you should pack is Condy's Crystals (potassium permanganate).
    It has a multitude of uses including:
    1. Disinfectant for wounds, fungal infections, etc., dermatitis and other skin disorders. It is on the W.H.O. list of essential medicines.
    2. Water purifying. Cleans suspect water of bugs, manganese, iron, discolouration and biological growth but leaves no detectable after taste if properly administered. Flush out water tanks or sterilise water with a weak solution of 3-4 crystals per litre. DON'T overdo it. Let it sit for 2 hours or so to do its work.
    3. Firelighter. Mix equal amounts (i.e. 1 tsp) with sugar and just rub together with a stick. Or mix with glycerol or anti-freeze fluid. Instant fire! (Take care, though!)
    Like any chemical, just be careful handling it because it can cause heavy oxidation when in contact with skin.

Forum Master
    If not already in the bag I'd add a decent quality fixed blade knife.