Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pilbara Touring

Forum Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fury View Post
    G'day Gary

My guess is that what I am about to post will be in the wrong 'place' as such but I've come to a grinding halt with my images that I'd like to upload with what ever I post about the Pilbara.

Greysrigging aka Dougie, suggested I use the Flickr image hosting site to store/organize and eventually upload my preferred images to 4wdaventurers.

I've signed on with Flickr, submitted a swag of images to that site, which are sitting there ~ I can access them, I can and have added images to the 'camera roll' page ~ but I simply can not work out how to get my images from there to 4wdadventurers so members who are interested in my part of the Pilbara can see how I see things, whether they agree with my views, be they good, bad or indifferent as to how they might feel.

I have no negative agenda nor do I have an anti progress stance when it comes to what has gone on in the inland Pilbara over the 30 years that the Pilbara has been my home, but I sure as Moses won't photo shop any image I post to glorify anything that is negative in regards to the way modern man has and is exploiting the Pilbara.

I might be old school in my outlook on life, but I like and rely on modern technology, but this Flickr thing has me cornered enough to ask for help. So with cap in hand I'm asking for help please.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
    Gary,
    Joe has some great Pilbara photos to share on the Forum.....and he is a 'local' as opposed to a transient 'FIFO' such as myself
    Joe, I gave up on the 'Flickr' and went 'Imagur'.....although the majority of my older photos are stored on 'Photobucket'. Confused yet haha ?
    In any case I'll make up an instruction for you for to do it....not tonight though as you know us construction FIFO types drink beer and are in bed early to beat the site breatho in the mornings so its past my bedtime atm ( 7.30pm NT time ).
    BTW I think there is a 'sticky' on the site somewhere with a tutorial how to post photos using image hosting sites.....Gary can probably point the right directions fairly easily......

Seriously Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fury View Post
    G'day Gary

My guess is that what I am about to post will be in the wrong 'place' as such but I've come to a grinding halt with my images that I'd like to upload with what ever I post about the Pilbara.

Greysrigging aka Dougie, suggested I use the Flickr image hosting site to store/organize and eventually upload my preferred images to 4wdaventurers.

I've signed on with Flickr, submitted a swag of images to that site, which are sitting there ~ I can access them, I can and have added images to the 'camera roll' page ~ but I simply can not work out how to get my images from there to 4wdadventurers so members who are interested in my part of the Pilbara can see how I see things, whether they agree with my views, be they good, bad or indifferent as to how they might feel.

I have no negative agenda nor do I have an anti progress stance when it comes to what has gone on in the inland Pilbara over the 30 years that the Pilbara has been my home, but I sure as Moses won't photo shop any image I post to glorify anything that is negative in regards to the way modern man has and is exploiting the Pilbara.

I might be old school in my outlook on life, but I like and rely on modern technology, but this Flickr thing has me cornered enough to ask for help. So with cap in hand I'm asking for help please.

See if this helps mate. Linking Photos From Flickr

Seriously Hooked
    Or this one might help as well. How to insert photographs in your posts.

G'day Gary

Thanks for the heads up on this image linking drama with Flickr, I'll have a go at it when I next feel the urge to hack out a story about the Pilbara, until then I'll leave it to 'greysrigging' and others to share their experiences and images from the land of iron.

Forum Enthusiast
    Here's a few more pics of Pilbara wildflowers. These shots taken at Yandicoogina, a RIO Iron Ore Mine about 2 hours north of Newman. I did a 12 month stint here commencing early July 2014.

Purple Mulla Mulla

Sturts Desert Pea

Would that be a Snappy Gum, Joe ?

Views from walking tracks near the Yandi Camp.....this sorta scenery was enough to keep me away from the Wet Mess.....its magnificant country out here.

They even get a bit of winter rain ( cold rain too I might add..... )

Wetty is the center of the Yandi Universe

G'day Doug

Thanks for the vote of confidence in respect of my being a Pilbara local as such, being here in Newman for over 27 years might give me a claw hold, apparently.

I'm still struggling with the image linking for this site, but hopefully I'll jag it one day.

Yes to the 'Snappy Gum' it's also known as a Migum ~ Eucalyptus Leucophlioa ~ your first image is of a wild tomato plant the fruit is edible but toxic if not prepared correctly, the Mulla Mulla ~ genus Ptilotus are a Indigenous Australian species with more than 80 recorded variants of the species, one particular species can be found in Malaysia, your images show the 'Tall Mulla Malla'.

Your image featuring the Mesa also shows a flowering MacCamey's Iron Plant ~ Astrotricha hamptoni. Sadly this plant species is under siege as there has been a push by 'her ladyship' Gina Rinehart to have the name changed to "Hancocks Iron Plant" after her old man, she failed to have Western Australia's tallest peak/land point renamed to her late fathers family name "Hancock".

All the Rio Tinto mines that carry the label ~ Hope Downs 1 through 4 are so named, after Gina's late mother ~ Hope Hancock.

The MacCamey's Iron Plant is so named as Ken MacCamey was Laing Hancock's prospecting/business partner in their early working years the Pilbara.

The BHP-Billiton owned iron ore mine that is known as the "Jimblebar mine" was called MacCamey's Monster back when Hancock Prospecting owned it, BHP got hold of it back in the mid 1990's and promptly changed the name to Jimblebar.

There is so much history in respect of the Pilbara, geologically it is some of the oldest land on earth with much of what we see today being close to 2 to 3.2 Billion+ years old,
    palaeontology and archaeology studies have dated human occupancy back beyond 26,000 years, all very significant tangible stuff, but it's under threat with the region's historical past and future in the hands of the resources sector.

Forum Enthusiast
    There's a beaut little waterhole only 20mins from the Yandi Camp called Weeli Wolli. It has permanent flowing water nowadays due to the dewatering of the Hope Downs pits so is therefor artificial in reality.
    Was a very popular Sunday RDO spot for us construction mob from Yandicoogina, especially on a 44c day in January

Funny how Mine Spec Hilux's dont need fat tyres, diff locks, winches, bash plates etc, to travel the countryside out this way......

Brutally hot day.....even though we are nearly 600m altitude up in the Hammersly Ranges, Jan and Feb has weeks on end of low to mid 40c temps

Water flowing from the Hope Downs pipes

Its a great swimming hole

Gets warm in summer out this way.....

Seriously Hooked
    Company cars are always much more capable. LOL