Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushwalking and/or Hiking are you into it?

Bushwalking and/or Hiking are you into it?

Like the title says I was wondering if there are any members who leave the comfort of there 4Wdrives and head out on foot. I have hiked to some areas that have no vehicle access and it sure was memorable. Some of these places are up in the Victorian High Country, for eg the top of Mt Howitt looking over Crosscut Saw. It really is a spectacular place. The weather can change in a heartbeat so make sure you are prepared and carry enough food and correct clothing. Don't forget to pack a first aid kit and make sure you always tell someone where you are and your expected arrival time.

Another awesome area to explore was the Kimberley in WA. The terrain is totally different to the High Country. The best gorges are reached by foot with different ratings for the walks there is something for everyone.

Bushwalking can be a family affair and by doing some research on history of the area we travel we seem to get more out of it.

Cheers
    Rich
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Seriously Hooked
    I don't do a lot of bush walking or hiking, but some of the best bush walking I ever did as a young fella was in the Carnarvon Gorge in Queensland. I was a regular visitor to the area when I was living close, but since shifting to NSW haven't been back. It's on the list of places to get back to though.

Do you normally camp overnight when hiking, and if so what do you camp in?

I haven't been for a little while and the area I live in has some great walks too. Following old tram ways which were used for logging in a bygone era. The loggers used to run along these tracks into town for footy training during the week and again for the game on the weekends, often heading back into the bush after dark These areas aren't to commomly used so passing HUGE sawdust heaps surrounded by old regrowth is something you never forget. One particular walk was 22km one way. There were 3 of us and I'm sure we climbed over and under 200 trees. This walk also needed some navigation skills as the track was marked and badly overgrown. After checking and rechecking 10 minutes later we found the correct direction.
    In the past we have used a base camp or just headed in to an area of interest then move on to explore a new area the following day. Thats the beauty of the 4Wdrive being able to reach some of the locations. I use a swag on these trips but I don't carry it in with me.
    Last edited by Touring Rich; 29-02-12 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

I swore i would never walk anywhere again when i got my liscence but i must say ive discovered bush walking again over the last coupla years and im loving it. Nothing to serious but a good stroll through the bush is an absolute joy

Rosalie and I always bushwalk when we tour.
    You can only get to best parts of Australia by foot or Helicopter and I can't fly or afford a heli.
    Nothing beats a days walk exploring remote country.
    The important thing is to be prepared as you can get into trouble on even quite short walks.
    We, or should I say I, always carry Water, food, waterproof matches, first aid kit, extra clothing, Satphone.
    Depending on the walk we may also carry GPS, UHF handheld radios and maps.
    Any other advice from members' experiences would always be appreciated.

Cheers
    Parry

I wouldn't call it a planned bushwalk but last Friday myself and the bloke I ride mountain bikes with went for a bit of a walk. It was all for research on the hunt for new mountain bike tracks in our local area. We headed off following a track in search of the top, the "Trail head." After discovering new sections of technical terrain some man made some natural we thought we would cut through the bush. There was no defined track just thick scrub. We knew we would eventually hit another track in the area. 45 minutes and about 1km of bush bashing we we again back on track.

One thing we did stumble across was a lyrebird nest situated deep in the bush. It was mound of dirt approx 1.5m long and 800mm wide. I still can't believe I never took a pic of it. We found 2 nests.

All up we did only around 4km wondering around but it was good checking out a few things.

Cheers
    Rich
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Seriously Hooked
    It's amazing what you see when you're out walking. You've got time to have a look around and see the sights.

I am an avid bush walker. Usually once a month. I usually do overnighters and I thouroughly enjoy it. My son is about to turn 11 and I will get him into it also. I will teach him the right way to do it so that he enjoy's it. Nothing worse than going on a hike and being hungry cold and wet.

Ohh I am a scout leader

Quote Originally Posted by The Kumars View Post
    I am an avid bush walker. Usually once a month. I usually do overnighters and I thoroughly enjoy it. My son is about to turn 11 and I will get him into it also. I will teach him the right way to do it so that he enjoy's it. Nothing worse than going on a hike and being hungry cold and wet.

Ohh I am a scout leader
    Paul I was in the Cubs and Scouts some great memories there.

Paul I'd like to see some pics of the gear you take with you on your bushwalks, weather its overnight or day trips. There is so much gear on the market these days it can get a little confusing on what works. One of the best things I bought was a Gortex jacket from Kathmandu, it was on sale from $549 to $109. I was in the right place at the right time there!

Do you prefer boots or hiking shoes? I know some blokes that wouldn't touch hiking shoes and other that don't like boots so I guess personal preference again comes into play there.

Cheers
    Rich
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Touring Rich View Post
    Paul I was in the Cubs and Scouts some great memories there.

Cheers
    Rich
    It would be interesting to know just how many of us got our love of the bush and camping from our time in the Scouts.

Cheers
    Parry