Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (NSW) Edward River - Fishing and camping (4wding?)

(NSW) Edward River - Fishing and camping (4wding?)

Edward River - Fishing and camping (4wding?)

I recommend you have a watch the videos . If a picture tells a thousand words, what about a video?

Cold front expected? Perfect, Luxy and I were going fishing no matter what! We watched the weather forecast over the lead up to our long weekend get colder and with more and more rain expected. Was that going to stop us? No chance.

Both our trucks were packed to the rafters. It didn’t look like two middle age blokes going camping for a long weekend. We had all the usual stuff, plus kayaks, fishing gear, cobb cooker, camping oven, showers, oversized billies, way too many plastic boxes, every tool and gadget you could imagine, 12v batteries, extra warm clothes, beer, tarps, flag poles, food, plus a bunch of other things with seemingly little value.
    Anyway, we met at Moama at about 2:30pm. Heading straight towards Graham’s Bar within the forest. We didn’t think to check the conditions in this area or even conceive the thought that the forest could be flooded. We came to a T-intersection with a plastic bag and muffler across the road.

This is what we were faced with.

We drove through two of these flooding of the track before we were challenged with a third. This was rather long, looked deep and the with a cross current. I decided for the first time in my life to “walk the river”. After reaching above my waist and not getting to the other side, we decided we needed to find another way to the river. Btw, the muffler and plastic bag was a warning.

Down the next track and a through a few more flooding we came to crossing that made us think twice. I couldn’t be bothered to check the water this time, so I drove though. Wow, over the bonnet. After driving a little further down the track and coming to an even larger crossing, I decided to turn back.

VIDEO – Flooded crossing

Who needs to go to the Cape? We finally found an access route to the river and decided this would be our spot for the next three nights. It was on high enough ground, or so we thought. However each day we could clearly see a rise in the river and the flooding of the area. Who cares? That’s a problem to worry about in a few days time.

We decided we had pushed our luck enough

Camp setup

We fished. We camped. We cooked. We kayaked. We mucked around. We drank a few beers. Most importantly, we laughed and enjoyed the best of what nature has to offer. One day, we sat around the campfire for most of the day.

Breakfast of champions:

Dinner of champions

Dessert of champions

Beers?

Edward River

Kayaks

Cruising down the river

Water gate?

Video: Luxy checking the water depth

Video: How the locals fish

The weather at times was a little wild. Luckily we had the tarp setup, so we would sit under there for an hour or two and wait for the rain to break. We had enough firewood to keep us warm.

Wood collection

It was truly awesome to see the river gums in flood. Something that we will not forget. Come Sunday morning, we were up early, and ready to head home. Two issues, the old patrol was cold due to an overnight temp of 1 deg C and didn’t want to wake up and the track out was a little more flooded.

Track out:

Flooded Forest

For once I enjoyed the trip home. A casual drive with the outside temp at 4 degrees, car heater one, enjoying the low cloud, drizzle and rolling hills. When are we going away next?
    Last edited by Harps; 24-07-16 at 06:00 PM.
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Well done Harps!
    Had a great time relaxing and kicking back for a couple of days beside the river and fire for a few days.
    We had lots of fun as we usually do! Thanks again!
    If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
    2000 Hilux SR5 Turbo Diesel with bits
    2006 Prado GXL Turbo Diesel with bits and lockers

Great story and photos, looks like a good time was had. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Taking the road less traveled
    https://instagram.com/artheserenity

sounds like you had a great time any fish ,what did you think of the crumble

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    sounds like you had a great time any fish ,what did you think of the crumble
    The fishing scene was very slow. A trout cod and a carp.

The crumple was great. It also warmed us up on the cold night

it floods well in there

Nice one Dave
    80Series Cruza

Awesome Dave and Luxy, looks like you blokes didn't go hungry!

Cheers
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

nice little trip, thanks for sharing, as they say, ... a bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work glad you guys enjoyed yourself s

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    it floods well in there
    It was actually cool to see. Usually the places is get shutdown and you dont get to experience it. That said, I dont think it will be long to close the park down and I can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring Rich View Post
    Awesome Dave and Luxy, looks like you blokes didn't go hungry!
    Or thirsty..

Quote Originally Posted by barnsey View Post
    nice little trip, thanks for sharing, as they say, ... a bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work glad you guys enjoyed yourself s
    Being outdoors is great. Fishing is even better. The fishing was pretty slow. Awesome great to had a rod in the water or flick out a lure.