Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: my hj75 Landcruiser ute tourer project

my hj75 Landcruiser ute tourer project

Hi, new around here,
    I have gotten the bug to do some outback camping & touring again & had been looking for a 4x4 for a while now, it all started when my dad gave me a bunch of old super 8 films about 12 months ago of my first outback trip away in 1977 when i was just 15, the films brought back lots of great memories from our 8 week trip across the Simpson & up the Birdsville track to Birdsville & Karumba stopping in at lots of great little towns & stations along the way, so i thought it would be great to try & do a similar trip again now some 38 years later, the first trip was done in a 60's model Landrover fitted with a 161 holden motor & a fairly overdrive box, we also towed a trailer which broke the draw bar about 100k's from Burketown, anyway that's another story & a little about my outback experience, I might try & put some of the old films onto youtube sometime down the track
    Ok so i got the bug again and found a 1989 hj75 sitting on a farm in the paddock of a job i was doing, i asked the customer what they were doing with it & if it was for sale, the customers son owned it at the time & said he would be interested in doing a swap or barter for the work i was going to do on his parents floors, so it was a no brainer, no money had to change hands & all i had to do was sand & polish a lounge room & kitchen floor & i would become the new owner of a landcruiser ute
    well 3 months later it was finally registered & on the road, in fact i have only driven it about 180 kilometers since getting it registered as i wanted to fix a few things that still needed attention,
    this is how it looked when i found it & after putting a battery in it & driving it up to his house ready to take home once i completed the job

on completion of the job i organized to book it in to my local Toyota dealer for a blue slip inspection so that i could find out what would need to be done to get it back to a roadworthy condition & all registered again,
    this is the list of things i needed to do for registration.

PS the fix list was like reading a doctors script & it took me a while to read what he had written
    So after the inspection i got it home & started on my list of things to do first job was to strip the front end back to the pivots & replace all seals bearings ect.

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 06:49 PM.

most of the parts for the rebuild came from ebay at pretty reasonable prices, next on the list was to replace all of the front & rear spring eye bushes, i ordered genuine bushes through Toyota & found out after getting them that the rear bushes they sent were too small for my ute so a quick trip to Supercheap & i was able to get the correct size for the rear

this is the difference in size between my front & rear bushes.

next on list were rear shock pins, an easy fix, tick
    then onto the front stabilizer D rubbers - i removed the near new neoprene ones that were loose under the saddles & replaced them with the correct sized ones, the red ones didn't look that bad but were the wrong size, guessing someone had replaced them not long ago with the wrong size ones.

next was the LH front tyre, well i thought instead of replacing the tyre i would just buy a set of 16x8 rims with the correct offset and fit a set of Wranglers my mate had given me until i decide on which type of tyres i want to run I am thinking about getting another set of rims & running the wranglers around town & on the highway & getting a set of 33" muddies for when i go away.

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 06:45 PM.

the right side hanbrake cable was disconected & hanging under the car, so i got a new pin & split pin & reconnected it into its position,
    the wiring harness next to gearbox was hanging down, the previous owner had told me the ute used to have a duel battery system but he pulled it out as he wasn't using it, i later found that some of the wires hanging down were for the reverse lights that were also on the list of things to do, i fixed the reverse lights & taped up the rest of the wires as i am guessing they might be apart of the reason my two fuel gauges are not working, another job i still need to do,
    moving on down the list, next was to replace the front tailshaft as it was sloppy in the slide joint, a new one was purchased from eBay at a reasonable price.

front brake pads were next on the list & i got a set from ebay & installed them, gotta love ebay

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 06:56 PM.

Bitumen! A complete waste of money. mudduck's Avatar
    That looks like a great project mate and for a great price, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Oh and those new black wheels look mint
    Last edited by mudduck; 24-07-16 at 04:45 PM.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD
    2010 200 Series twin turbo V8 Diesel 200kw of screaming Toyota Muscle
    2017 Ford Ranger turbo diesel with some stuff

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

moving on to next on the list was a bolt missing in the rear of the center gearbox cross member, another easy fix, tick
    then onto the next was the rear diff breather, I decided to just buy a diff breather kit from ebay and do both front back & gearbox, mounted them high on the firewall

next was right hand front park light, easy fix with just a globe
    the next was the left hand guard indicator...there was none, back to ebay again

driving lights were next on the list, they only worked intermittent, i un plugged the wires cleaned the connections & they worked straight away, another easy fix
    reverse lights were next on the list and were fixed using the wires hanging down around the gearbox.
    next were the seat belts, they were frayed around the edges, sourced those from a wreckers in Dubbo
    left hand mirror head was missing, got a new factory one from a second hand shop still in the box for $5 bargain
    seat trim had a few small tears so i brought a set of cheap seat covers until i can get a good set of canvas ones.
    left hand door had a small crack next to the front flipper window, quick zap with the mig & a bit of primer fixed that
    a quick call to a windscreen supplier fixed my windscreen crack problem with a replacement windscreen.
    windscreen washers weren't working, i got a pin & cleaned out the squirters on the bonnet, fix in 5 mins
    next was the heater control, it wouldn't change between floor & screen, i thought it was broken & sourced a second hand one, but after removing most of the dashboard found that a clip had come off, while i had the dash apart i noticed there was a few rattles in the heater box, turns out it was full of everything that had fallen down the dashboard heater demister vents over the years.

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 07:06 PM.

last few things on the list were to replace the worn pedal pads, put a fan shroud on it & mount a battery clamp,
    took it back in for final inspection & it was time to go pay the registration & insurance & pick up my number plates
    Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 07:09 PM.

next it was time to clean the old girl up a little, amazing what a bit of spit & polish can do, i found out through Toyota when they did the blue slip that this ute was a matching number factory blue & was factory ordered this color from new, he said it was probably the only one this color in this year model

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 07:18 PM.

Nice work Barnsey it's coming up a treat. Always good to see the older cars being revamped.

I decided a couple of weeks ago i would fit new inner axle seals to the rear hubs, goit carried away & done all the seals & bearings, then fitted new brake shoes wheel cylinders shoe adjuster springs & anything else i could replace with the brakes including new drums, hopefully i won't need to touch the back hubs & brakes for a while now also brought a new set of front free wheeling hubs as i noticed whilst doing the frontend pivet joints one had a broken spring. i am also looking for a new set of brake backing plates for the rear.

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 07:21 PM.

i was having trouble starting her & the starter was kind of lazy & felt like i had a flat battery, after checking the voltage i noticed i still had 13+ volts, so back to eBay where i found a brand new starter motor for only $245 including freight, came with 12 months warranty also, I'm starting to like ebay

I replaced the front brake lines as they were frayed as well, mechanically everything is now pretty much sound, just a few more smaller things i want to attend to, as said earlier the gearbox was missing 5th gear & noisy so i brought this one from a Sydney eBay seller, it comes with 12 months warranty for $1500 exchange, i replaced the rear main seal, spigot bearing, & fitted the genuine Toyota clutch pressure plate & thrust bearing, so much better having 5 gears

Last edited by barnsey; 06-07-17 at 07:25 PM.