Thread: Lithgow Area Weekender.

Lithgow Area Weekender.

AREA/REGION: Garden of Stone / Marrangaroo NP, Lithgow Area NSW
    ROADS TRAVELLED: Castlereagh Hwy, Wolgan Rd, Main St Wallerawang, Old Sydney Rd. Rydal.
    CLOSEST TOWN/S: Capertee, Lidsdale, Wallerawang, Lithgow, Rydal
    CO-ORDINATES:
    MAPS USED (brand/area): 4WD Treks Close to Sydney / MudMaps2 App.
    ACCESSIBILITY (4WD, AWD, 2WD): 4wd Only
    WEATHER AT TIME OF VISIT: Mod. 12–23 degrees
    RECOVERY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Yes
    PHONE RECEPTION (yes/no/poor): Varies, but mostly poor
    PERMIT REQUIRED (yes/no/cost): No
    PET FRIENDLY (yes/no): No pets allowed
    ATTRACTIONS (views/waterfalls/ruins/walks) Fantastic views, Mountain bike riding (Locality of Rydal), Fishing
    FACILITIES (toilet/shower/drinking water): Nil
    ACCOMODATION Camping

I’ve been looking to do this trip for along time and finally the stars aligned, and we were off.
    We set off lunch time Friday and made our way through Mudgee, Rylstone and Glen Alice before hitting the gravel roads into Glen Davis and making camp at Coorongooba Campground, located in the western section of the Wollemi NP.
    Being the middle weekend of the school holidays, there were plenty of families that had set up camp, so we grabed the flattest spot we could right next to an old resident wombat, who was quite happy for us to set up in his patch. This old fella just mowed his way around us all night.

Saturday morning we set off early to arrive at the Garden of Stone NP around 8:30 where we aired down in readiness for the Baal Bone track. This track starts with a good climb up to around 900mtrs with views to the North East over the Wollemi valley before descending down into forest floor lined with native ferns.

The next section was going to get a bit more interesting, with a loose powdery base, ruts and a rock step, it proved to be a challenge and a lot of fun with the winch coming out to pull the 2nd car up and over the rock step.

After climbing up this section the track flattens out where we took a side track out to one of two lookouts across the top. We weren’t disappointed either, spending a few minutes to take in the views.

Back on the main track we continued along through a variety of eucalypts until our final descent, just short of the Wolgan Rd. This section was also an interesting section; again, quite steep with a loose base and washouts close to the edge, so picking the right line here was crucial. Both cars still managed to pick a rear wheel up a good 1 metre off the ground, though from inside it didn’t feel that bad.

After crossing the Wolgan Rd we settled on “Black Fella’s Hand“ for lunch and by now it was getting close to 1:30pm, With a little discussion over lunch we decided it might be a good time to make our way over to the Marrangaroo NP to find a camp for the night.

Once into the NP we made a path towards the Cox River where we planned to camp for the night. The tracks varied from open rolling hills to narrow, steep, rocky climbs and descents while crossing the crystal clear Cox River on a few occasions, and at one point, driving up the centre of the river for about 100 metres.

The day was closing in and with Mt Walker close we decided to take the chicken track and walk the last section to enjoy the views looking over Lithgow before finding a great camp alongside the Cox River.

Sunday morning we woke to sound on rain which prompted a quick pack up just in case it set in. Fortunately it didn’t last long, this is not a place to be clawing your way out of in the wet and there were few steep gnarly sections to negotiate before we were out. After the compulsory Bacon & Egg rolls it was time to cross the Cox River for the last time and make our way West towards the small locality of Rydal, which has a list of mountain bike tracks if that’s your thing.
    As we came into Rydal it was time to air up, hit the black top and take the road less travelled to O’Connell for a Pub lunch.

What a fitting way to end an awesome trip, one that I will be back to do again soon.

It's all about the serenity
    Last edited by Greg; 20-04-16 at 02:49 PM.
    Taking the road less traveled
    https://instagram.com/artheserenity

Seriously Hooked
    Fantastic report. It's a great area to explore around there, with something for everyone track wise, and plenty of brilliant scenery.

Please let me know if you are heading back there, as I'm always up for a revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Fantastic report. It's a great area to explore around there, with something for everyone track wise, and plenty of brilliant scenery.

Please let me know if you are heading back there, as I'm always up for a revisit.
    Absolutely Garry, there is something for everyone. I will definitely let you know when I'm heading back.

Thanks for sharing Greg!
    On days like this I'd rather be west of the Darling!

Great read Greg.

Sounds like you were lucky with the rain too
    On Days Like This I'd Rather Be In The High Country

Greg what a top trip report mate, thanks for sharing!

Cheers
    Rich
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Hey Greg, love the report and great photos. The campsites look great. It's always nice to camp on grass.

I hope to get up that way one day. Any good fishing there?
    The only thing better than fishing... is catching a fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Harps View Post
    Hey Greg, love the report and great photos. The campsites look great. It's always nice to camp on grass.

I hope to get up that way one day. Any good fishing there?
    Thanks Harps, it's a great area to look around, there's always a new track to try. I can't really help you with the fishing, I can only ever manage to catch something at the co-op, but I believe trout and bass are there to be had. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tour'n View Post
    Great read Greg.

Sounds like you were lucky with the rain too
    We were very luck Tour'n, coming home we passed through some big storms, some dumping between 35 -65mm