Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 110's Defender 110

110's Defender 110

G’day Guys

So in my introduction post a few people asked for more details on the landy, so this is it.

Before the Defender we had a 1996 Rodeo dual cab which we had decked out pretty good to be fairly self-sufficient for longer trips away. Was a reliable old rocket and we went to some cool places in it but even with a bit more boost, 3” dump pipe and the pump cracked it was painfully slow, and capable was a word rarely used in the same sentence.

Cape Tribulation with the camper

Bring on the defender. Bought it brand new at the end of 2013 from Austral Land Rover in Brisbane. It was specced with Metalic paint, Leather Pack, body colour roof and SVX Alloys. I was pretty chuffed this day.

Didn’t take long for the mods to start, mainly out of necessity, I’d bend or break something so it would get upgraded.
    First thing was the front bar which was bent on the second day of ownership. This was replaced with a Rovacraft Tube winch bar with swivel recovery points and hi-lift jack points. Also chucked a 20” BajaDesigns light bar on at the same time.

Then all the normal things fitted to a tourer like a Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller, a Hayman Reece towbar, 2 x 100Ah deep cycle batteries in the rear, a homemade false floor and rear drawer and an MSA drop fridge slide, Front Runner roof rack, ironman side and rear awnings, a rear ladder, AutoSafe cargo barrier,Terrafirma centre muffler replacement section and a Runva 11xp winch, UHF - chose a UNIDEN UH8080NB as the main unit can be hidden behind the dash and all the controls are on the handpiece. Chucked a ScanGauge in there at the same time.

Then a Safari snorkel and 285/75r16 Federal Couragia MT’s on Dynamic steelies

After quite a few trips to Sundown National Park and a heap of runs on local tracks the side steps were looking pretty sad so they came off and I fabbed up a set of sill replacement rock sliders out of 75x50x4 RHS

The handbrake drum mounted on the back of the transfer was copping a hiding from bottoming out on a few tracks and I had found the limits of the factory flex, so it was finally time to do some suspension work. It’s got Dobinson coils, Terrafirma ProSport shocks, APT shock turrets with dislocation cones in the front and APT lower spring retainers front and rear. Also chucked a Tom Woods double cardin front drive shaft in the avoid any uni binding. While I had it all apart I did the holey bush mod to the radius arms. Cranked trailing arms are coming soon.

Next was the rear sliding windows were pulled out

To make way for full aluminium Gullwing windows

And the most recent thing I’ve done to it is fitted front and rear APT diff guards, wich came about because I dinted the front diff housing.

And this is how it sits now

And that is my Defender!
    The next thing on the list is an APT chromolly track rod as the stock ones are made of cheese and I’ve bent it a couple of times now and getting the bottle jack out to straighten it at the end of the day before I can drive home is getting a bit old.
    Last edited by 110; 28-11-17 at 10:29 AM.

Always somewhere in the Outback. Gavin's Avatar
    Very nicely fitted out rig.

Looks great and handles the rough stuff with ease by the look of that flex.
    look forward to seeing it in the flesh someday.

Cheers.

Forum Master
    Bloody nice 110. Ater a Cruiser they are my fave 4WD.
    Last edited by Nick74; 08-10-15 at 09:59 PM.
    This is where my signature is supposed to go................... if people falsify my signature is that a crime?

That's great flex. Do the rears rub in the guard at all. I do a bit of wheeling with a friend who drives a very similar Landy, and I'll definitely be showing him this thread.

The aluminium rear window replacement. What benefits does that offer?

No, it doesn't leak oil. Redback's Avatar
    Nice rig mate, I watched the build up when you first got it, still looks good.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 (With the Lot)
    Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    1973 Kawasaki H2-A Project Now Finished
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Very nice rig and a well thought out setup that suites your needs thanks for sharing!

cheeers guys, I'm pretty happy with where it is at now, it does what we want to do with it, it will stay like this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    That's great flex. Do the rears rub in the guard at all. I do a bit of wheeling with a friend who drives a very similar Landy, and I'll definitely be showing him this thread.

The aluminium rear window replacement. What benefits does that offer?
    On the stock rear windows only the front half of the rear window slides so it makes it a little impractical for getting gear in and out. With the replacements when opened there is now a gaping hole that is far more user friendly.
    The rears rub on the bottom corners of the plastic flares at full flex, but no issues anywhere else. The fronts have never touched.

Last edited by 110; 28-11-17 at 10:31 AM.

I have always liked the Landies but........ I note from your interior photos that the handbrake lever is still in that useless position that it rubs against your left leg and prevents it from reasonable comfort in long trips.
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

Yeah the handbrake is still in an odd position, and still gets hot like they have for years.

But in regards to comfort on long trips, the seating position is very upright and the seats are a fair way off the floor on tall seat boxes so your are seated closer to the way that you would sit in a chair as opposed to a car, just feels natural to me, I know other will disagree. I drive a 79 series cruiser ute at work that I rack up a lot of k's on and I find the defenders seating position more comfy and I feel better getting out of the Rover than the Toyota. Although the footwell in the Rover is a little cramped with the transmission tunnel being so big and the hand brake taking up precious space as well, and with no space beside the clutch for a footrest it does make it hard to stretch out on longer drives.

And this arvie wired up a couple of usb charge ports on the dash

Last edited by 110; 28-11-17 at 10:34 AM.