Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5 Corner Club

The 5 Corner Club

As I guess many people do, I have a bucket list of places to visit and things to do. Amongst this list was to visit the 5 "corners" in Australia

There are 5 state corners in Australia.

Surveyor Generals Corner, intersection of WA, SA and NT.
    Poeppel Corner, intersection of NT, QLD and SA
    Haddon Corner, Corner of QLD and SA
    Cameron Corner, Corner of SA, QLD and NSW
    MacCabe Corner, Corner of SA, NSW and Vic

I figure if you have visited all 5 of the "corners" then you are entitled to membership of the fictitious "5 Corner Club"

So are you a member, or an aspiring member, how many have you visited?

Show us your pictures and tell us any stories related to your visits to the corners.

I was pretty stoked last week to finally become a fully-fledged member of the "5 Corner Club", so here are some of my Pictures.

Camerons Corner

MacCabe Corner

Surveyor Generals Corner, there are actually 2 posts here as the border of WA isn’t quite straight.

Poeppel Corner

Originally the post was put in the incorrect position and was in the middle of Lake Poeppel, it has since been corrected and a replica of the original post stands just near the now correct location.

And Haddon Corner

So we have been to all 5 corners, but haven’t actually camped at any of them, so the new thing on the bucket list is to return to them all and spend the night

Tell us about your corner experience.

Cheers Andrew
    Last edited by AJ; 14-01-18 at 01:03 PM.
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    How long ago did you get to Surveyor's General Corner? I was looking at that as an inclusion on our recent trip but found it quite expensive. We were going to be charged $100 per vehicle plus $200 for a guide. As it turned out we didn't have time to go there anyway but it is still on the list to do.

I've been reading a book on and off for the past year or so called The Disputed Country which is about the Vic / SA / NSW junction. There is actually a dog leg of a couple of hundred metres in the border as two different survey teams, Wade and Wight, surveyed the border and had two different points layed out. Even the starting point for the surveys was a bit dodgy by the sound of it and there was court action taken by SA in the 1800s to try and reclaim land they felt they were losing. It went as high as the Privy Council but they lost. All up an interesting read but the end result is that we are left with a border with a dogleg in it...

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

Hi Dave, we went to Surveyor Generals Corner in 2013, and yes the $100 charge was the norm then. However we went with a friend who was at the time living in and running one of the community stores in the APY lands, we went with him as he had access to it as a local The story the locals tell is that more people have been to Antarctica than SGC, at $100 a vehicle to drive 10k down a dirt track to look at a concrete post I think it might stay that way.

Yeah the whole story around the SA / Vic border is an interesting one, cant trust them Victorians, they steal everything from us

Cheers Andrew

We have done three, Cameron, Haddon and Poeppel. As the Meatloaf song goes, 3 out of 5 ain't bad!
    Cheers,

Frank

If you haven't grown up by age 60, you don't have to.

No, it doesn't leak oil. Redback's Avatar
    I know for certain we have done 3, Cameron, Poeppel and McCades original border, haven't done the re-mapped one that has Victoria in a tis, so 3 more to do, does the original one still count.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 (With the Lot)
    Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    1973 Kawasaki H2-A Project Now Finished
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

I've also done Camerons, Haddens, Poepells three times to each.The kids had fun looking back through the book at Haddons and Poepels to find our name the last time they wrote in it .
    Why fish for bream ,when i can camp and chase cod!!:

Can anyone give me any info on McCabes? More specifically how to get to it, Its the first i heard that particular corner referred to as that and there isnt alot on the web about it, one site i think mentioned it on private land?
    Last edited by Slug; 11-08-15 at 02:38 PM.

Yes MacCabe Corner is on private land and is generally not available for public access via land, unless you know someone who knows the owner and you can ask for permission. I went with our 4wd club as some members knew the owner.

It is freely accessible by water though, putting a boat in at Murtho Customs House would be the shortest access via the river.

I have been sounded out about gaining permission to visit via land and will look at doing a forum trip there for those that would like to go, wont be until next year at some stage.

Cheers Andrew
    Last edited by AJ; 14-01-18 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for the details AJ, sounds great, ill keep my eyes open for a possible trip.

Cheers

Slug

Forum Newby
    Hi, just reading about your 5 corners club, we have just been to SGC to complete our 6th corner. There is one more corner for you to visit. It's the Gregory-Greaves Corner its at the end of the 29th parallel in the middle of the Barwon River. If you go to the one ton post that's pretty close. Happy touring. Roadie