Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The 5 Corner Club

Forum Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    The river level in the Murray doesn't change much at all due to the weirs, even during the Millenium drought when the river was almost running backwards the level remained much the same along our stretch.

MacCabe corner is around 55kms from home as the crow flies. To get there this morning I headed due East to Sunset NP which is around 30kms entering via the Noora gate then headed due North following the border track until turning just before the corner to head to Higgins Cutting where I started walking, so around 65 - 70kms all up driving to get there. 4-5kms to walk in (one way) if you take the correct route the first time, which I didn't I reckon I likely walked 12-14kms this morning with a lot of wrong turns and U turns

OH and less than 5k of bitumen the way I went today

Cheers Andrew
    G'day Andrew,

I went looking for MacCabe corner in October and made it to Higgins cutting but that is as far as I got. My understanding was that the actual post was located on the northern side of the river thus making it across the river and up stream from Higgins cutting. Reading your above post it seems that the post is actually on the southern side?

Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    G'day Andrew,

I went looking for MacCabe corner in October and made it to Higgins cutting but that is as far as I got. My understanding was that the actual post was located on the northern side of the river thus making it across the river and up stream from Higgins cutting. Reading your above post it seems that the post is actually on the southern side?

Cheers
    Andrew
    That is correct, its on the Southern Side.

From Higgins Cutting head west until you hit a fence, a few hundred metres south of the river you will find an entrance through the fence signposted Sunset NP. Follow the track, there are few tracks going off here there and everywhere so hard to tell someone every turn, but just keep heading as best you can towards the corner. The tracks do not lead directly to the corner, you will need a GPS of some sort and when you are due south of the corner you go cross country to the corner. You can not just follow the river bank, I tried and it doesn't work

The Northern side of the river at the junction can not be accessed by land, believe me I have tried, there are too many backwaters with no way around them. As a side note if you were on the Northern side of the river there is an interesting border marker there as well, Todds Obelisk which is just south of the Old Wentworth.

I tried to post a picture of the Obelisk but picture uploads aren't playing nicely tonight

Cheers Andrew
    Why would I buy something for $10 when I can make it for $20

2009 120 Prado http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...AJ-s-120-Prado
    HZJ79 Cruiser http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ies-Cruser-Ute

Forum Newby
    That is correct, its on the Southern Side.

From Higgins Cutting head west until you hit a fence, a few hundred metres south of the river you will find an entrance through the fence signposted Sunset NP. Follow the track, there are few tracks going off here there and everywhere so hard to tell someone every turn, but just keep heading as best you can towards the corner. The tracks do not lead directly to the corner, you will need a GPS of some sort and when you are due south of the corner you go cross country to the corner. You can not just follow the river bank, I tried and it doesn't work

The Northern side of the river at the junction can not be accessed by land, believe me I have tried, there are too many backwaters with no way around them. As a side note if you were on the Northern side of the river there is an interesting border marker there as well, Todds Obelisk which is just south of the Old Wentworth.

I tried to post a picture of the Obelisk but picture uploads aren't playing nicely tonight

Cheers Andrew
    Andrew,

I actually used some of your travel notes (I think it was when you went on the Hay river track trip) and I found Todds Obelisk and suicide bridge (along with some souvenir pin-stripping on the Prado). We also had a look around Danggali and Murray Sunset and then onto Mungo and Kinchega. But my aim for that trip was to make MacCabe corner as we have visited SGC, Cameron, and Hadden corners. Poeppel corner is for our future trip across the Simpson one day. It looks like I will have to have another go at MacCabe and perhaps visit the Woodshed brewery again

For some reason I thought the peg was on the north side...

Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    Andrew,

I actually used some of your travel notes (I think it was when you went on the Hay river track trip) and I found Todds Obelisk and suicide bridge (along with some souvenir pin-stripping on the Prado). We also had a look around Danggali and Murray Sunset and then onto Mungo and Kinchega. But my aim for that trip was to make MacCabe corner as we have visited SGC, Cameron, and Hadden corners. Poeppel corner is for our future trip across the Simpson one day. It looks like I will have to have another go at MacCabe and perhaps visit the Woodshed brewery again

For some reason I thought the peg was on the north side...

Cheers
    Andrew
    That's good to hear that someone has gotten something from one of my reports

If you return to look for MacCabe Corner and you are in any doubt then get in touch and I am sure I can help you find it one way or another.

Cheers Andrew

Forum Enthusiast
    I also failed to make McCabes. My tablet farted but as a happy accident we stumbled across the campgrounds at Customs House and that alone extended our stay! Given that this was the start of our Simpson Desert trip missing the corner was only a minor disappointment. I guess one day we'll get there!

Oh my OCD twitches are going off again....so many bucket lists and so little time!

We will be attempting to visit McCabes Corner in the first week of July (nothing like planning ahead!) as part of a 4 week trip to the red centre from Sydney via Oodnadatta :-) We ticked off Cameron Corner last year on a similar 4 week trip to the Flinders via Strzelecki track. The aim is to do one such trip each year. I also like AJ's idea of visiting all of the points where the state borders meet the sea.....<sigh>....

The OCD in me also demands that on the July trip I have to also start my quest to try for all the various points claimed as the "centre" of Australia - Johnston Geodetic Station, Lamberts Gravitational Centre etc. Otherwise how can I genuinely claim to have camped in "central Australia"?!

There are some interestingly novel ways to calculate where this might be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre...s_of_Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Spike69 View Post

Otherwise how can I genuinely claim to have camped in "central Australia"?!
    I can claim to have camped in Central Australia

Let me know when you are down this way Spike and I might be able to come and say G'day and point you in the right direction of the corner.

Cheers Andrew

Now how did I know you would probably have already done that? Worse OCD than me I think! Love your work.....

I was actually hoping I might be able to meet up with you on this next trip as we'll be so close by, so I'm glad for the offer. I'll definitely keep you posted Andrew.

Cheers
    Spike

We have just been up to Cameron Corner again, this was the first of the corners that we visited and it was over 12 years ago that we were last there. We took the opportunity to spend the night there so we can cross that one off our bucket list

Cheers Andrew

We have just been up to Cameron Corner again, this was the first of the corners that we visited and it was over 12 years ago that we were last there. We took the opportunity to spend the night there so we can cross that one off our bucket list

Cheers Andrew
    It doesn't look to change much does it? Have you noticed much difference AJ?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk